UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 17th Jan 2006, 10:24 am   #1
radiogammon
Retired Dormant Member

Default Most admired set?

Following on from Paul's thread on his most used set, I thought it would be interesting to find out what are the members' most admired sets in terms of looks. I suppose this is more relevant where sets are rotated around the house, where they can be seen by visitors. Comments about my own sets have suprised me. I think most good comments have been expressed about a 1939 Pilot Little Maestro than any others which I own. This particular one has a nice polished case in good untouched condition with a lighter coloured slatted grille. I bought it a couple of years back on eBay for £10, as it had been placed in the wrong section. It was sold by a lady from Douglas in the Isle of Man who said it had been owned by her grandfather, but had been stored at the back of a cupboard for the past 40 years, hence the nice condition of the cabinet. In second place, also suprisingly, would be a Decca TT33 transistor table set from the late 50's. This is the brother (or sister) of their early portable (TP22). It also has a nice polished case with a lovely mirror-like finish.
Old 17th Jan 2006, 12:48 pm   #2
newlite4
Octode

Default Re: Most admired set?

The one set in particular that visitors comment on is my RAP 646. The set looks as good from behind as from the front with its chrome chassis and painted IF cans. The cabinet was restored when I bought it so it looks very easy on the eye .
Neil
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT0030a.JPG
Views:	194
Size:	73.4 KB
ID:	2508  
Old 17th Jan 2006, 5:39 pm   #3
JoshWard
Octode

I do not think I can put anything in this thread. My collection is full of late fifties bog standard bakelite sets .
Old 17th Jan 2006, 5:55 pm   #4
Sam
Hexode

I have been thinking, and I would say it is my Ekco A110. The set has contrasting wood veneering, and has a very uncluttered front as it is a pre-set tuned radio.

This could change as more sets arrive!

Sam
Old 17th Jan 2006, 9:33 pm   #5
ianj
Heptode

My RAP 646 and my Ekco AD65
Old 18th Jan 2006, 11:03 am   #6
sparkie
Retired Dormant Member

I think it's split evenly between my Beau Decca radiogram (it has a bleached walnut case which is a bit unusual), and my 1937 HMV bureau-gram (looks like a writing bureau but has a K3 changer and 6-valve EMI chassis behind the flap....). Steve
Old 18th Jan 2006, 5:33 pm   #7
jay_oldstuff
Octode

its got to be my 1931 cossor empire melody macker console, still dont know if it's origional or home made but its gets alot of admiraration, one day i realy must get it going.

Jay
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	console.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	62.5 KB
ID:	2523  
Old 18th Jan 2006, 6:15 pm   #8
John M0GLN
Octode

2 candidates from either end of the spectrum, the first, not a set but a speaker, an Amplion Dragon with oak petal horn for style and beauty, and the other a DAC90A, not admired for the same reasons but its a set that people remember, either their parents or grandparents had one or similar, and it brings back memories.
Regards.
John.
Old 23rd Jan 2006, 1:39 am   #9
Rejectostat
Hexode

Floor standing 1947 Emor Globe (RR fig 678) always seems to attract comment, people are amazed that it is a radio and pre-dated the space race by decades.

A Beethoven table set, 1947 U3038 (RR fig 694) is also liked, its the one with the very light wood cabinet, white knobs and tuning scale with staves, notes to indicate stations, not to mention treble and bass clefs etc, very attractive and quite imaginative by the manufacturer.
Old 23rd Jan 2006, 11:17 am   #10
Aerodyne
Octode

Of the 1940s, one of my Little Maestro Bakelites seems to attract positive comments. It was the one that I featured in a restoration article for radio Bygones and has an especially brilliant gloss. I think the set somehow encapsulates a bygone era in its styling. The DAC90A is liked for the same reason, although the Maestro is arguably a prettier set. My Ultra Tiger seems to be the most popular '30s model.
-Tony
Old 23rd Jan 2006, 12:55 pm   #11
GJR 11L
Heptode

It's a close run thing between the DAC90A currently set as my avatar and the bright green Radialva, every inch a little beauty and more fiddled-with than the Bush because it has lots of buttons and gadgets to amuse the visitors.

That Bush has even been apart and had the diffuser resprayed so most folk think it's some sort of replica built last year!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	59657040_ab5b181b21_o.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	70.5 KB
ID:	2555  
Old 2nd Feb 2006, 9:51 pm   #12
DoctorWho
Rest in Peace

I think my two most admired wireless sets are the Ekco A22 and the McMichael Moving Coil Mains set from 1931, the latter is my personal favourite as it's a nice early and decorative example. The most admired TV sets is probably the Cossor 912, it has regular use and I think generally speaking people admire the early look of the set. Next to that I suppose the Bush TV12 is the next most admired, but again the Cossor is my favourite.

Peter.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	McMichael Moving Coil Mains.JPG
Views:	126
Size:	126.2 KB
ID:	2670   Click image for larger version

Name:	Radios & TV Sets.JPG
Views:	139
Size:	88.2 KB
ID:	2671   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cossor 912.JPG
Views:	104
Size:	32.6 KB
ID:	2672   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bush TV12AM Pic 1.JPG
Views:	99
Size:	130.1 KB
ID:	2673   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bush TV12AM Pic 2.JPG
Views:	122
Size:	103.0 KB
ID:	2674  

Old 4th Feb 2006, 9:52 pm   #13
Hybrid tellies
Nonode

Location: 1966-1976 Coverack in Cornwall and Helston Cornwall. 1976-present Bristol/Bath area.

Although I cannot boast much pre 50's,my HMV1124 has had it's share of admirers, especially a few years ago when I was using it to play my CD player through.
Old 6th Feb 2006, 6:02 pm   #14
Brian R Pateman
Nonode

Most admired set?

For style, the Pye P29UBQ - Bakelite Perfection!

For sound, the FenmanII (of course)

For the motorised tuning the Ekco PB189 (although I still have to restore it).

For its size the Emerson 508 (also still unrestored ).

(I really must get the workshop built!)