UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 15th Jan 2006, 8:10 pm   #1
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Default Peto Scott radiogram on Antiques Roadshow

Did anyone see the PS radiogram on the Antiques Roadshow just now?

It was a lovely, deluxe model in Queen Anne cabinet c/w original sales receipt dated 1949.

The chap whose family had owned it since new was told that it was worth up to £1500, to a collector .

I would have thought that more like £200-300 would be nearer the mark, and that's assuming there was someone around at the time who desparately wanted one

And then there was the demonstration, where we were told that the doors over the speaker functioned as the set's volume control

Nick
Old 15th Jan 2006, 9:08 pm   #2
paulsherwin

Default Re: Peto Scott radiogram on Antiques Roadshow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickthedentist

It was a lovely, deluxe model in Queen Anne cabinet c/w original sales receipt dated 1949.

The chap whose family had owned it since new was told that it was worth up to £1500, to a collector .
I didn't see this, but it sounds pretty typical of the antique trade's attitude to old radios generally. I'm often suspicious of the valuations given by these 'experts' for other items apart from radios - sometimes they cover themselves by saying a valuation is 'for insurance purposes' but I bet when the owners rush out to flog the items they're sorely disappointed.

£1,500, hmm... Not many radiograms of any description worth that sort of money, let alone fairly run of the mill (albeit upmarket) ones from 1949

I wonder if the 'expert' could cite examples of similar radiograms selling for that sort of money recently I bet he didn't get his cheque book out

Watch out for a flood of 1960s Grundig radiograms on eBay with £1000 reserves

Best regards, Paul

Last edited by paulsherwin; 15th Jan 2006 at 9:26 pm.
Old 15th Jan 2006, 11:05 pm   #3
Danny
Heptode

Hi i thought the knobs looked like dinatron to me but it was a nice gram it semmed to warm up quikly though. maybe on EBAY soon i wonder if it has px4s in it? (no im not an audio fool) .
Old 15th Jan 2006, 11:12 pm   #4
evingar
Octode

Quote:
Watch out for a flood of 1960s Grundig radiograms on eBay with £1000 reserves
Scoff ye not Paul. The "Punters" will have been watching as well.
Old 16th Jan 2006, 12:27 pm   #5
Dave Moll
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickthedentist

Nick
I used to watch AR, but gave up some years ago precisely because I lost confidence in their valuations. I now restrict myself to such programmes as Flog It where the valuations are put to the test by sending the items to auction.
Old 16th Jan 2006, 1:43 pm   #6
YC-156
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulsherwin
I'm often suspicious of the valuations given by these 'experts' for other items apart from radios - sometimes they cover themselves by saying a valuation is 'for insurance purposes' but I bet when the owners rush out to flog the items they're sorely disappointed.
Well, in all honesty, then the 'experts' often are, and they do catch the occasional gold nugget. (Though mostly they seem to be far off, if you know the trade.)

Some years ago a nice, elderly lady I believe it was brought in an old Omega wristwatch in gold. The expert (correctly) dated it the some time in the thirties, and put a modest price on it.

After the expert and the lady had chatted a bit, the lady suddently asked if the original receipt for the watch might be of interest? The expert politely decided to give it a look, and the lady produced a very nice document from some upmarket watch dealer. The name of the buyer was stated as one 'Mr. T. E. Shaw'.

The expert looked at the paper. Then he looked again. Then he got a solid expression of 'Hmmm...?' on his face. Then he suddently went

T. E. Shaw = Lawrence of Arabia.

The watch was eventually sold at an auction for around £50.000 to ... Omega Watch Co., Bienne, Switzerland.

Frank N.
Old 16th Jan 2006, 6:37 pm   #7
JoshWard
Octode

I saw it. As soon as it came on the screen I thought it was a radio-gram! It is nice and I probably (if i saw one) would buy it. But not for £2000!
Old 16th Jan 2006, 8:16 pm   #8
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

Hello,
Yes I saw that smashing Peto Scott on the A.R. I quite agree the price should be more like maybe £300. The record playing was indeed Fats Waller but that was not the record put on the autochanger! I suspect the Fats Waller record may have been played on it but the programme producers may have subjected it to a lot of editing. Regards. JOHN.
Closed Thread