UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 2nd Jan 2006, 7:37 am   #1
grizzy68
Retired Dormant Member

Default Strange telefunken shortwave problem HELP!!!!!

Hello, I am having some really wierd things happing with my telefunken opus 7. I hooked up an antenna to the shortwave and found that I get a lot of stations around the world, but there is a dial for sw/am and a dial for fm. When I find a sw station and I turn the fm dial it affects the tuning on shortwave for better or worse. Why is this happing? I also notice the sound is better on sw, less destortion. When I tune in a fm station I can get it in clear, but there is destortion when I turn up the volume. Is there a relationship to the two bands?
Thanks
David
Old 2nd Jan 2006, 10:53 am   #2
ukcol
Rest in Peace

Default Re: Strange telefunken shortwave problem HELP!!!!!

With regard to the first effect you mention, this is probably normal. I don't know the Opus 7 but I would be prepared to bet that the FM tuning is used to provide a band-spread function on SW. That is, you carry out a course tune to the required SW station with the SW tuning knob and scale and then fine tune using the band-spread function provided by the FM tuning scale and knob. If you look closely at the FM scale there is probably an additional scale besides the normal VHF one.

The distortion on FM is probably a quite separate problem.
Old 4th Jan 2006, 4:25 am   #3
grizzy68
Retired Dormant Member

What do you think is causing the destortion in the fm & volume control?
Old 4th Jan 2006, 9:11 am   #4
Mike Phelan
Dekatron

My Blaupunkt uses the VHF tuning for bandspread SW.
Is your distortion only on FM?
Old 4th Jan 2006, 3:18 pm   #5
grizzy68
Retired Dormant Member

Yes, it appears to be a volume control problem. The volume will not turn all the way off and when I turn the volume to about 25% it sounds ok and anything after that it is if it has too much base or there is destortion on the FM. SW/Am sounds better, but I think it is due lack of base. I hooked up good external speakers and I had the same problems.
Closed Thread