UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 7th Mar 2005, 10:52 am   #21
roger_a
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: New Toy, Philips 462

David,

I'm sure you're talking about the Philips logo thats fitted in front of the glass scale on the sloping bakelite top.

I think that if you look closely, you'll see it on one of the pictures.

Roger.
Old 7th Mar 2005, 10:09 pm   #22
Steve G4WCS
Heptode

correct, the hole is where the little enamel philips badge goes, I had removed it while I cleaned the case
Old 7th Mar 2005, 11:04 pm   #23
Radio_Dave
Nonode

Thanks guy's. At least I know what the hole is now........ unfortunately the missing parts list has just increased by 1

David
Old 15th Dec 2005, 10:03 pm   #24
Steve G4WCS
Heptode

this super little set is now back to life.

the caps were shot at, so Ive put modern units in the cases, one was totally dry and full of nothing but power, the other was full of grey sludge.

Ive also recapped it, replacing the waxies, and the black pitch covered units.

fired it up and it worked on long wave, medium and short were dead.

I ended up stripping the wavechange switch in situ, and cleaning and tightening the contacts, this has brought it back to life on all bands.

Im well impressed with the sensitivity, and sound output, with a 12" piece of wire we were pulling in russia, and the states no problem last night.

I also like the "valve set " smell when it warms up.

its now back in the hall on the bookshelf, and the missus has even threatened to have a listen next time she's dusting round.

Im now inspired to get through the rest of my sets, and have just spent an hour on a VHF61 case with the brasso, Ive got two units, one that looks to have had a nice dry life, but with a broken case, and a gettered ecc85 in the VHF head, and another with an intact case, but only fit for donating bits !
Ive got a set of caps to replace the hunts moldeals, and hopefully ( if the valves are ok) can get it rattled off and installed in time for the queens speech !.
This one should have a bit of novelty value as its not too big, and has the magic eye so may get house room !!
Old 15th Dec 2005, 10:48 pm   #25
yestertech
Nonode

Well done Steve ! I have a soft spot for the 462A !
It was the first set I pulled to pieces, aged 11. My parents ,I believe had it as a wedding present.
When my Gran sold her house and moved in with us, she brought an identical set which had sat on her dresser silent since the early 60s
This intrigued me as there was a marked colour difference between the two.
One was very dark, and quite streaky, ( plain chocolate ? ) and the other was 'milk chocolate' colour and much more plain.
I parted with that one in the early 80's but not before I had found another at auction for the princely sum of £3.
That one was despatched about 10 years ago ( before the current 'madness' took hold ! )
I now have yet another one sitting in the loft ( another rountuit ) , plus a spare cab from one which was left to rot in a garage.
I'm sure I'll come across many more - the 462 and the 170 are the DAC90's of the Philips world it seems !!
Any chance of a pic of your finished product ??
A.
Old 15th Dec 2005, 11:29 pm   #26
Sideband
Dekatron

I repaired one of these a few months ago for a collector. The phantom bodger had been at work though and I had a lot of rewiring to do to get it back to original. I don't think the bodger had any idea it was supposed to have a negative bias rail because it was effectively shorted out. No wonder he complained of hum and distortion.

When it was all sorted though, it sounded great and I also spent some time scanning shortwaves. I'm looking out for one for myself now.

Rich.
Old 19th Dec 2005, 7:34 pm   #27
Steve G4WCS
Heptode

photots attached. (whilst listening to the asian network on MW)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT1278.JPG
Views:	96
Size:	94.1 KB
ID:	2295   Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT1279.JPG
Views:	89
Size:	113.6 KB
ID:	2296   Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT1269.JPG
Views:	103
Size:	107.3 KB
ID:	2297   Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT1274.JPG
Views:	101
Size:	84.9 KB
ID:	2298  
Old 19th Dec 2005, 11:11 pm   #28
Sideband
Dekatron

What a great job Steve!

It's amazing how something that is nearly 60 years old can still have so much appeal. The performance of these sets is outstanding and they look great.

Rich.
Old 21st Dec 2005, 7:22 pm   #29
Steve G4WCS
Heptode

thanks for the compliments, it really is a super set, and one I will be holding on to for a long time !
Closed Thread