UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 4th Feb 2019, 2:25 pm   #21
Maarten
Dekatron

Default Re: 12 Inch Colour TV's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by electronicskip View Post
We used to sell a 10" colour tv back in the day ,I cant remember what make it was although it may have been Sony, but it was mains/12v DC , people used to buy them for caravans and lorries etc .
Onwa was the most popular manufacturer of such sets, I think. I remember lineair voltage regulators running hot and breaking down.
Old 4th Feb 2019, 2:35 pm   #22
Richard_FM
Octode

The Ferguson TX80 was a 10" colour set, which looked like a rectangular space helmet thanks to the very 1980s glare shield extending around the sides. These were made in Taiwan, which suggests it was badge engineered.

I nearly bought one recently, but the seller wouldn't store it until I had a day free to pick it up.

Sanyo had an early 10" colour set looking like a typical 1970s portable, so probably an early example.
Old 4th Feb 2019, 3:48 pm   #23
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maarten View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by electronicskip View Post
We used to sell a 10" colour tv back in the day ,I cant remember what make it was although it may have been Sony, but it was mains/12v DC , people used to buy them for caravans and lorries etc .
Onwa was the most popular manufacturer of such sets, I think. I remember lineair voltage regulators running hot and breaking down.
Nikkai "Baby 10" ?]

Never seen one but remember reading about them in Television.

There was also a 9"(?) Ferguson/Thomson marketed at caravanners c. 1990. [EDIT: maybe this is the one Richard is referring to in the post above mine.]

Nick.

Last edited by Nickthedentist; 4th Feb 2019 at 3:55 pm.
Old 4th Feb 2019, 5:16 pm   #24
mark2collection
Hexode

The Nikkai Baby 10 had an LM7812 'potted' within a huge aluminum cage with fins on top.

Can remember buying quite a few regulators from Willowvale.

Mark
Old 4th Feb 2019, 8:24 pm   #25
Maarten
Dekatron

That could be the one, indeed. I think the regulator they used was supposed to deliver more current than a standard 7812. Nedis (Seme in the UK?) did a replacement with a switching regulator.
Old 4th Feb 2019, 10:10 pm   #26
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

Yes - these Baby 10s were very popular round here. The potted regulator always failed and eventually there was a discrete component non-potted equivalent available. Made by various companies they were various in their reliability! They used a sort of block converter as a conventional chip regulator couldn't give a stable output from a source less than 1v higher than the output, if you see what I mean, as was often the case with a caravan battery.
Other than that the DC socket used to melt and the rectifier diodes were massive 5A jobs. I still have a couple of those and a sparkling new regulator in the drawer!
Back to the subject, the Kuba Porta-Color (sic) / Granada Colourette were alarming beasts with lots of valves, an 11" CRT and a simple-PAL (i.e. no delay line) decoder, not to be confused with Sony's more elegant NTSC conversion. Performance was, er, marginal and reliability similar. Only saw a couple and that was enough!
Amstrad did a 10" Orion-sourced set, and Thomson did as well as mentioned above. Also Philips with their red Saba sourced (I think) cubic TV, though I'm not sure of the screen size - I'm sure Maarten will put me right here!
There was a Waltham TV that always seemed smaller than 14", though again I might be wrong. Poor tubes in them, I seem to remember.
Old 5th Feb 2019, 10:54 am   #27
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Studio263 View Post
Indeed, the Teleton 'Super 12', although there was nothing particularly super about it. It was also known as the VX-1100, so the exact screen size may not be 12".
Interesting Tim, I will excavate mine over the next few days and give it some power! They were very popular and gave a fair picture, a bit like Technicolor and customers loved them. I used to stock all the 'Compactron' valves and still have a few spares for my Teleton. VERY American and I think the 12 pin valves had .45amp heaters. A common fault was cracks across the valve bases.
John.

Last edited by Heatercathodeshort; 5th Feb 2019 at 10:59 am.
Old 5th Feb 2019, 11:51 am   #28
dazzlevision
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welsh Anorak View Post
Also Philips with their red Saba sourced (I think) cubic TV, though I'm not sure of the screen size - I'm sure Maarten will put me right here!
The 10" Philips CTV model 10CX1120 (12V battery or mains operation) was made for them by Loewe Opta in Germany. The Philips version was grey, but the Pye version was red. Nice sets (apart from problems with the "through hole" earthing on the double-sided printed board). I still have the Philips version.
Old 5th Feb 2019, 1:24 pm   #29
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

I knew they were badged - thanks for putting me right. Odd for Philips to buy in from Loewe. I've only ever seen the red Pye version and, like you, it's been faulty the 'through hole' connections, just like the Philips CD104, though I don't think there's any connection (no pun intended).
Old 5th Feb 2019, 2:23 pm   #30
Maarten
Dekatron

Philips had been shareholder in Loewe for quite some time. I heard they sourced some of their second-brand b/w TV sets from Loewe in the 1960's but never seen one or even found a model number. Loewe did carry some of the Japanese made Philips second-brand hifi line in the late 1970's though.
Old 5th Feb 2019, 2:52 pm   #31
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.

Further to post 19*, does anyone have any idea whether these 10 and 12" TV's were very expensive then [relative to bigger sets] .

Dave
Old 5th Feb 2019, 4:30 pm   #32
ben
Dekatron

I have just remembered, somewhere I have a 10" (or was it even smaller?) Grundig set, from the late 1980s, unfortunately the PSU was blown up, probably by being connected to the wrong supply. Must try and find it.
Old 5th Feb 2019, 5:23 pm   #33
electronicskip
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave walsh View Post
Further to post 19*, does anyone have any idea whether these 10 and 12" TV's were very expensive then [relative to bigger sets]
If memory serves the one we sold was a couple of hundred pounds but was a long time ago now so the memory might be playing tricks on me .
Old 5th Feb 2019, 5:49 pm   #34
Lloyd 1985
Nonode

I’ve got quite a few 10” colour sets here, the Baby 10, as mentioned, complete with a dodgy regulator! The latest one I have is a Goodmans, not sure on the model, must be from around 1999-2002. Most of them are quite bulky, but the Goodmans is nice and small, doesn’t use much power either. I’ll try and remember to get a photo or 2 of them all!

I can remember looking at small TV’s back when I was still at school, and they were way more expensive than the 14” sets, about £200 for a 10” while you could get a 14” for around £120. I really wanted one of the Radio shack 5” colour sets, just because you could run it from batteries! They were expensive, never did get one new, but later picked one up from the NVCF for £20.

I have a habit of picking up 10” sets whenever I see one at a car boot, or put out for the bin men!

Regards
Lloyd
Old 5th Feb 2019, 7:02 pm   #35
Graham G3ZVT
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuvistor View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave walsh View Post
ght. In the previous decade it had seemed better to rent and I had a very affordable package from Granada TV Rental [not the Broadcaster for those unfamiliar with the North of England]
Dave W
All part of the very large Granada enterprise started by Sydney Bernstein in 1935.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Granada_plc
Thank you for pointing that out Frank, GTV and GTVR had a close relationship, I know this, because I was the link!

The guys in Technical Maintenance at Quay St used to call me the "Red Arrow Man", just to keep me in my place.
Old 6th Feb 2019, 5:16 pm   #36
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

I think the Teleton were priced around £179 with the 14" £189. J.
Old 6th Feb 2019, 6:16 pm   #37
Studio263
Octode

That sounds about right, the 13" Sony KV-1320UB was £194 when first released here in 1971.
Old 6th Feb 2019, 7:24 pm   #38
mark pirate
Dekatron

Quote:
I have a habit of picking up 10” sets whenever I see one at a car boot, or put out for the bin men!
Glad I am not the only person that rehomes 10 inch tellies

I remember back in the 90's being shocked at how expensive the 10" Ferguson sets were when visiting a caravan & camping show, way more than the poshest 14" sets!

I actually own three of these little Ferguson's, a very nice Grundig FST 10", A Thompson & a Hinari. All can operate from 12V or mains & are remote control.

Mark
Old 9th Feb 2019, 6:17 pm   #39
dave walsh
Dekatron

Thanks for the 10"/14" pricing differential info chaps. Can anyone remember the cost of a 21" set in 1982? 14" v 21" seemed to be the options when I bought the £300 JVC [post 7]. It was really easy to get a 21" with colour and VCR sockets which was a part of the frustration. I think the "portable" may have been twice as much but I'd be interested to find out if I'm right!

Dave
Old 9th Feb 2019, 6:34 pm   #40
dave walsh
Dekatron

Re post 35, here's a story Graham. I had a friend at College who really should have been an actor full time but finished up in the Civil Service and then teaching. He was definitely on the "hail fellow well met" flamboyant side, looked much older and always got the reserved parking place, for example. In the early days, when he was "resting" from the stage, he was so well known and entertaining while signing on at at Bolton Employment Exchange, they invited him to the Xmas Party.

One day, he rang me up to say that he was now working as a Manager at Granada! I made an assumption and rang Quay Street asking to speak to him. His rather elaborate french sounding name impressed the person on reception and [imbued with my confidence] she searched for him for quite a while before reporting [apologetically] that he couldn't be located. Yes, you guessed it... he worked for TV Rentalsi

[I can pm you the name if you might recognise it.] Haven't seen him for years now!

Dave

Last edited by dave walsh; 9th Feb 2019 at 6:40 pm.
Closed Thread