UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 5th Jan 2019, 3:58 pm   #1
Kentode
Octode

Default How much?

Whilst reorganising my workshop prior to recommencing work on my current project ( a very pretty Murphy A362) l found the receipt for my Linn Sondek LP12.

Dated 1987, I think that this is best value for money purchase I've ever made!

I dread to think how much I'd have to pay to buy it today. It's completely original apart from the cartridge, drive belt, motor and electronics, suspension bushes and springs!

Still in daily use, it will obviously outlive me and will be bequeathed to a Grand-nephew who will need to be a great fan of David Bowie as he will be getting several thousand records to play on it.

Also the Quad system and Heybrook HB1'S, lucky ******!

I would have killed for this when I was a teenager.

What are you planning to pass on?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0001.jpg
Views:	359
Size:	39.0 KB
ID:	175932   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0002.jpg
Views:	338
Size:	30.5 KB
ID:	175933  

BVWS member
Old 5th Jan 2019, 4:10 pm   #2
Radio Wrangler

Default Re: How much?

B&O 4000 turntable.
A77
proto of an amp made at HP
Pair of big transmission line speakers
HP8566B spectrum analyser
Ess TIG welder
A very early AR88 receiver (no suffix letter, Just AR88)
Lifetime collection of records, CDs. Heavy on Floyd.

Nothing that's appreciated like your LP12

David
Old 5th Jan 2019, 4:29 pm   #3
GrimJosef
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kentode View Post
... I dread to think how much I'd have to pay to buy it today ...
This model isn't in production now of course, but decent condition second-hand ones, usually with a cartridge of some sort, sell on eBay for £850-£900. Inflation turns your £578.50 to about £1550 at today's prices. So I'm afraid in real terms it's now worth about 55% of what you paid for it. But if you include all the pleasure you've had from it then it might still be the best value for money purchase you've ever made .

Cheers,

GJ
Old 5th Jan 2019, 4:39 pm   #4
Station X

Hopefully I won't be "passing on" any of my vintage radios and workshop equipment. My family have no interest in it, they're more interested in my houses and my money, and it would probably end up in a skip. My friends with interests in vintage stuff are the same age as me, so not much point in leaving it to them.

Before too long I shall be selling off all my vintage stuff, just retaining a few useful "treasures". I've yet to draw up the short list of what I'll keep.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 5th Jan 2019, 7:05 pm   #5
AC/HL
Dekatron

I'm similarly in the middle of a chain of unbelievers. Keeps 'em amused though!
Old 6th Jan 2019, 4:18 pm   #6
Kentode
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio Wrangler View Post
Heavy on Floyd.
As every record collection should be! I saw them at Earls court when they were promoting "The wall".

BVWS member
Old 6th Jan 2019, 7:03 pm   #7
ToneArm
Pentode

I bought a LP12 in yr 2000 (second hand, from built about 1985 I think) for £500. I had promised myself a Gyrodek as an incentive for passing my final accountancy exams but when push came to shove I chose the Linn , saving me £250 (and a better table!)

I sold it on ebay in 2016 for over £900, which delighted me and the new owner seemed delighted with it as well. If only every luxury I treated myself to had similar economics...

After I’m gone my stuff will probably end up in a skip as it’s mostly built or been mucked about with by me, so no CE cert! . There’s also a large record collection that I hate to think of decomposing in the manky corner of a charity shop. Perhaps the records could be buried with me.

Glyn
Old 6th Jan 2019, 7:52 pm   #8
The Philpott
Dekatron

I have been through my avominors and inserted a service record of a) what has been done to make them work and b) notes regarding flaws/gremlins and unusual characteristics. i shall do this with everything vintage when i get the chance....But of course not everything has a secret compartment- with the Megger it will have to be kept in the same tin i suppose.

This is really for my own benefit and to underpin my memory (without referring to the huge notebook) but it does have a fringe benefit of informing someone who might pick it up when i'm long gone. This assumes i have left instructions with a reliable sort to take the batteries out of everything you possibly can- but to keep the adaptors.

Dave
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00956.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	44.7 KB
ID:	176024  
Old 8th Jan 2019, 12:52 pm   #9
avocollector
Heptode

Nothing except my best wishes - my wife has $ signs in her eyes about all my gear, radio and other, and as thanks for putting up with it she gets to sell it all.
Old 3rd Feb 2019, 3:57 pm   #10
RojDW48
Nonode

My daughter's eyes widened a bit when I told her what a little drawer full of cartridges would be worth at today's crazy prices - so I expect she will be looking forward to a holiday or two on the back of them and the rest of it upon my demise.
Old 3rd Feb 2019, 4:24 pm   #11
electronicskip
Nonode

Well if I go before my wife does I know a large skip will be outside the house despite me telling her a 1000x not too.
Old 3rd Feb 2019, 4:28 pm   #12
Kentode
Octode

Little boy :
"Daddy, can you make a noise like a frog?"

Daddy :
"Why?".

Little boy:
"Because Mummy said when you croak she'll take me to Disneyland!".

BVWS member
Old 3rd Feb 2019, 4:47 pm   #13
Backtoreality
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by electronicskip View Post
Well if I go before my wife does I know a large skip will be outside the house despite me telling her a 1000x not too.
Ditto! With my 3 sons and 2 grandsons filling it!
Old 4th Feb 2019, 7:25 am   #14
Diabolical Artificer
Dekatron

"What are you planning to pass on?" A load of old junk according to my old man, but my daughter might keep one of my guitars, my records and maybe a few other bits, but who knows. As others have said a lot of folks stuff ends up chucked and in my experience bitterly regretted years later. , sometimes for the monetary value but more often for sentiment, something on the lines of "Grandad/Dad always took me fishing/in the shed doing X, wish I had his old rods/woodworking tools, something to remember him by"

Oddly this sentiment isn't often expressed by girls, they don't pine after Grandma's baking tin's or Mother's old spud masher or hairbrush. This may sound sexist but how many folks Granny's or Mum's fixed motorbikes, old TV's or collected stamps?

I did think of leaving valves and other stuff of worth, but it will be too much for those I leave behind to sort out, so I'm getting rid of as much stuff as I can. I've left a note in my will to contact here and other forum's for members to come and grab what they want for free and chuck the rest.

Andy.
Old 4th Feb 2019, 10:21 am   #15
'LIVEWIRE?'
Rest in Peace

Ken, I first heard that quote on a TV program, can't remember which, except that it was 'Grandad can you make a noise like a frog?!' Speaking about the main point of this thread, although I'm not a collector as such, I do have a few radios in need of restoration, repair, etc., plus a load of components, Radio mags, Service data, etc., plus quite a big record, CD, DVD, etc. collection, and no descendants to pass any of it on to, so I'll have to 'downsize' one way or another!
Old 4th Feb 2019, 10:29 am   #16
G4XWDJim
Octode

Big problem this; how to sensibly dispose of your collections.

I started selling my large items in 2001 keeping at it regularly and am now down to 2 comms receivers, no transmitters, 1 domestic receiver, several items of large test equipment and thousands of odds and ends valves and components despite a couple of vmars auctions and a big giveaway day.

It can be a crusade to sensibly dispose of kit that you know many of your relatives won't understand even when you are still tempted by another desirable item.

Keep at it and spend the kids inheritance yourselves.

Jim
Old 4th Feb 2019, 10:55 am   #17
Paul_RK
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kentode View Post
...l found the receipt for my Linn Sondek LP12.

Dated 1987, I think that this is best value for money purchase I've ever made!...
That would have been a terrifying outlay for me, I've always been of the skinflint tendency with regard to audio equipment. Fortunately in about '82 I picked up a Thorens TD160B Mk II with SME arm for £45, and it's served me well ever since with just an occasional drive belt. It's currently paired with a flea market Teac AS-100 amplifier from the very early '70s and a somewhat older pair of Leak Sandwich 'speakers, £15 from a charity shop in the mid-'80s.

I'm without descendants, hence or otherwise I've not much idea as to what will become of the stuff here when I croak, except I trust there will be something along the lines of a tremendous auction rather than a tremendous sequence of skips. If Louise outlasts me she at least has some notion of the more valuable radios etc., and knows for instance that the Anita MkVIII calculator should be worth rather more than the £1 I paid for it. So long as I can arrange for most of the kit here to survive my passing, and for items or more likely the proceeds from selling them to find their way to someone or something I care about, I'm not too fussed.

Paul
Old 4th Feb 2019, 11:56 am   #18
'LIVEWIRE?'
Rest in Peace

As a footnote, my entire audio system (Teac PX-300 DD Turntable, Teac W-600R Auto-Reverse cassette deck, Technics SLP200 CD Player, Sony LBT-D505 Tuner & Amplier, plus a pair of Refurbished Sharp 3-way speakers, and a Silvertone autochanger bought second-hand years ago to play 78s, probably cost less than £500-600. The Sony units were second-hand, as was the Teac Turntable, and I've no idea what these would have cost new, but if I'd bought it all new the cost would most likely still have been less than £1000!
Closed Thread