UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items

Notices

Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items For discussions about other vintage (over 25 years old) electrical and electromechanical household items. See the sticky thread for details.

Closed Thread

Old 4th Apr 2020, 2:32 pm   #1
sparkymike
Octode

Default JUKI sewing machine

I have this Juki HZL-27Z home sewing machine in and am repairing it for an elderly lady. Problem was no forward motion, only reverse, but that is now sorted.(partially seized mechanism)
Now ready to put the case back on ,which is a pig to remove even with the service manual, which I found on line.
Problem I have is the spring on the rear top right corner, held on with a posidrive screw. The spring does not seem to have a purpose but I am wondering if it was bent in its past life or if it should have the right angle bend as normal.
Mike.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7384.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	92.6 KB
ID:	202234  
Old 4th Apr 2020, 3:01 pm   #2
ex seismic
Heptode

Default Re: JUKI sewing machine

The bend looks intentional, nice sharp radius. Is it just some sort of anti-rattle spring?
Old 4th Apr 2020, 3:06 pm   #3
sparkymike
Octode

Yes
I agree the bend looks intentional but what on earth it does I am stumped.
I have emailed Juki in Poland for a parts list, this might explain matters.
Mike.
Old 4th Apr 2020, 4:46 pm   #4
sparkymike
Octode

I found a page in the service manual. The spring is in correct position,but I am now wondering if part of the end of the spring has broken off. As you said it might have been an anti rattle device. We shall see......
Mike.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	hzl27z page.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	45.7 KB
ID:	202243  
Old 4th Apr 2020, 7:03 pm   #5
vidjoman
Dekatron

Perhaps it just holds the cover in place.
Old 6th Apr 2020, 10:04 pm   #6
dryjoint
Tetrode

Just a thought - is it anything to do with the bobbin-spool winding / threading mechanism? There is a quite comprehensive instructional video on YouTube from the manufacturer that might give some clue as to what this does:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NRtB3XGrKvM

I don't know if this link will work but the video is called JUKI HZL12Z Introduction and Threading if you need to search.

The bobbin bit starts around 3.10 but at 3.40 the external mech around the area of that spring is shown. It might give a clue as to what the spring does.
Hope this is of use
Closed Thread