UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Websites

Notices

Websites Found an interesting website? Post the details here and share it with the rest of us. Please stick to websites that are in some way related to our hobby/interest.

Closed Thread

Old 31st Dec 2022, 10:20 am   #41
alfatangowhisky
Pentode

Default Re: Ferranti history

I have a few Ferranti F100 and support ICs (F111, F112) in my collection of bits, from (I think) the army's Ptarmigan communications system.

Also vol 1 and 2 of those books which I picked up from the MOSI about a decade ago. These books are just collecting dust so if anybody would like them make a note and I will offer them up on the appropriate section.
Old 31st Dec 2022, 11:46 am   #42
Ambientnoise
Heptode

I worked for Ferranti (then Thales) for about 10:years up to about 2000 and worked closely with Cheadle Heath. We did the outboard parts of the sonar system, CH did inboard. As I recall, the inboard processing was initially based on transputers then later onto power pc. Data and display processing was on almost off-the shelf hardware and software. There was then a major shift to open architecture to reduce cost of change. This was not really possible then in signal processing as everything (speed, power, heat, space etc - imagine in a submarine) was at the bleeding edge.
Old 31st Dec 2022, 1:39 pm   #43
DMcMahon
Dekatron

Yes I read that for Sonar 2076 that was first fitted to nuclear submarines in the late 1990s/early 2000's (superseding Sonar 2074) the design intention was to use INMOS T-9000 transputers to achieve processing power equivalent to 60,000 PCs.

Around 2006 there was major upgrade to 2076 (Second Generation 2076) to change the inboard processing to open architecture COTS (Commercial Off The Shelf) based processing.

David
Old 31st Dec 2022, 1:50 pm   #44
bobbyball
Octode

I worked at Ferranti Cheadle Heath from 1987 to 1993, when along with many others, I was made redundant. The Americans had got involved by then and it all ended in tears. I cut my teeth in the Calibration department, happy memories of that.
Old 6th Jan 2023, 2:04 pm   #45
DMcMahon
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_RK View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave walsh View Post
Ed mentioned a "thick tome" about Ferrari [post 6*]. What's the title does anyone know?
There's John F. Wilson's Ferranti: A History, in three volumes:

https://www.abebooks.co.uk/servlet/S...c=off&xpod=off

Volume 1 (roughly 640 pages) is subtitled Building a Family Business, volume 2 From Family Firm to Multinational, and volume 3 Management, Mergers and Fraud 1987-1993. Apparently they're from three different publishers, and volume 3 at least, from Manchester University Press, is still in print:

Paul

Just received Volume 1, a bargain price from AbeBooks, a large book which will take quite some time to read through it.

David
Closed Thread