UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 3rd Jul 2005, 4:52 pm   #1
Peter
Retired Dormant Member

Default Bush Amplifying unit AU31D

HI.

I've just picked up a Bush amp AU31D. Its in near mint conition so. I'd likesome info on it befor working on it. It my work but bast be safe..

Ta. Peter
Old 3rd Jul 2005, 10:35 pm   #2
Paul Stenning
Administrator

Default Re: Bush Amplifying unit AU31D

The service manual of the AU31 is available through my service data by email facility at http://www.service-data.com. Actually it's the manufacturer's service manual for the SRP31 record player and also covers the amplifier. I'm assuming that the AU31D is basically the same.

It's a push-pull circuit using two ECL83 valves and a metal rectifier. It has an electrostatic tweater plus bass and treble controls in the negative feedback circuit, and the whole thing is transformer powered, so it should be quite a decent little ampliier unit. Audio output is 3 watts.

Paul Stenning
Forum Admin/Owner and BVWS Webmaster
Old 4th Jul 2005, 8:46 am   #3
Stewart
Retired Dormant Member

I think units with the C or D suffix were up-rated and used two ECL86 valves.

I've worked on a few of these in recent years: All have needed the Sen-Ter-Cel rectifier replacing (although one unit still produced reasonable sound with the HT down to about 75Volts!) along with the two Plessey low voltage electrolytics. There were a few posts back in February (I think) about repairing Grundig electrostatic tweeters if that needs some TLC too.

Stewart
Old 4th Jul 2005, 7:40 pm   #4
Paul Stenning
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewart
I think units with the C or D suffix were up-rated and used two ECL86 valves.
That'd be good!

I hope they uprated the speaker though, as the AU31 in the service data has same eliptical speaker as is used in a number of mid-50s Bush radios, which could probably only handle about 3 watts.

Paul Stenning
Forum Admin/Owner and BVWS Webmaster
Old 8th Jul 2005, 10:32 pm   #5
Peter
Retired Dormant Member

hi.

Yes thanks for the info. I've pluged it in and it works very well. I'll do some voltage checks though....

Thanks a lot.

Pete
Closed Thread