UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 12th Dec 2008, 8:24 pm   #1
'LIVEWIRE?'
Rest in Peace

Question Which Company made Sharp CP460E Speakers?

I ask this question out of curiosity more than anything. For those who do not know them, the CP460Es are large(22.5x12x8.5") 3-way speakers having 8" wooffer, 3.25" square frame mid-range, and 3.5" diameter tweeters. They are 4 ohm impedance with a quoted freq. response of 45Hz-20kHz, power handling 40W RMS, and were supplied with the SG500E Musice Centre in the late 1970s/early 1980s. Made in Gt. Britain, they appear to be an 'economy' version of a reasonable pair of HiFi Speakers(they have only rudimentary cabinet damping-a length of thin foam losely pushed in behind the drive units) and no terminal clips or posts, just a length of twin speaker wire protruding through the rear of the cabinet. Despite their apparent shortcomings they actually sound quite good, and I've often wondered who made them.
Old 12th Dec 2008, 8:26 pm   #2
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Default Re: Which Company made Sharp CP460E Speakers?

I've seen similar ones from Hitachi which had cheap Goodmans drivers.

Could we have a pic of the insides?

N.
Old 12th Dec 2008, 8:39 pm   #3
'LIVEWIRE?'
Rest in Peace

Nick,
I only have a very rudimentary digital camera, which may not produce a clear image of the inside of the cabinet, though it might take a reasonable pic. of the speakers with the grille off. The woofers in mine aren't original. I replaced them with a pair of Soundlab 8" ones ages ago after the foam roll surrounds disintegrated. The tweeters are Audax, but there is no brand name on the mid range drivers.
Old 12th Dec 2008, 9:43 pm   #4
Alan Stepney
Rest in Peace

I'm fairly sure they came out of the Goodmans factory at Havant.
Old 13th Dec 2008, 12:24 am   #5
'LIVEWIRE?'
Rest in Peace

Alan,
I have just been looking in an Eagle 1977 HiFi Year Book, and I'm inclined to agree. The Goodmans Havant SL of that era is similar in size and specification, so presumably the CP460E was based on that particular model.
Closed Thread