UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 13th Aug 2008, 9:20 pm   #1
flyingtech55
Octode

Default Hacker Sovereign II

Hi all

I think this is the correct section for this...so here goes.

I went down to the town tip today to dispose of some dead PCs and other bits and pieces. While putting the items in, I turned round and there at the side of the container was a Hacker Sovereign II. It appeared intact although extremely dirty and paint marked. I grabbed it and dropped it into the boot of the car as I went for the next load to dump.

On getting it home I've had a quick look inside. The insides are very clean and look completely untouched. The only obvious problem is that one of the batteries has leaked and has destroyed the associated battery connector and has caused some corrosion of the rear hinge. The date code on the batteries is 1999. There is a slight discolouration of one of the output transistors which looks like it may have been overheating.

Outside, apart from the dirt, all is complete including the aerial and it has a full complement of knobs. The only obvious defect is that the rexin type material is peeling from the handle. The rest of the covering is intact and is still taut. The turntable is present although it has a small piece broken from the outer edge.

What a lucky find. I remember these radios in their heyday whwn they were new. They were quite expensive then and were considered to be pretty upmarket sets. I seem to remember that they sounded rather good too.

What is everyone's opinion of these sets?

TimR
Old 13th Aug 2008, 9:26 pm   #2
Steve_P
Dekatron

Default Re: Hacker Sovereign II

Very nice! All Hackers are, and you have picked up a good one there. You can get a PP9 clip and clean that hinge off and then try it.

Some have the AF117 problem, but apart from that its a few caps and you're away.

Lucky Josser....

Cheers,

Steve P.
Old 13th Aug 2008, 9:30 pm   #3
flyingtech55
Octode

Hi Steve

I thought I remembered them having AFxxxs but this one doesn't seem to have them. The transistors look like silicon types...they're small black plastic ones.

TimR
Old 13th Aug 2008, 9:31 pm   #4
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingtech55 View Post
What is everyone's opinion of these sets?
Well, I think they're one of my very favourites. The sound they produce is superb for something so small, on all wavebands.

Faults are rare, but those that come to mind are:
  • Duff reservoir electrolytics casuing low supply voltages to the tuner/IF sections
  • O/C power switch
  • Dry joints in the VHF tuner leading to poor sensitivity, jumping off-tune etc. etc.
  • Faulty headphone socket causing no results
I have a feeling yours will probably work straight away when you've sorted out the battery connections.

Nick.
Old 13th Aug 2008, 9:41 pm   #5
flyingtech55
Octode

Hi Nick

Great to hear from you...

Actually, its not that small a set and it has an 8 x 5 speaker in it. It's one of the chunky sets. It measures 12" x 8" x 5" deep.

TimR
Old 13th Aug 2008, 9:57 pm   #6
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingtech55 View Post
Actually, its not that small a set and it has an 8 x 5 speaker in it. It's one of the chunky sets. It measures 12" x 8" x 5" deep.
I suppose it's all relative. It's certainly one of the smallest sets in my collection

Good luck wirh it, Tim.
Old 14th Aug 2008, 8:17 am   #7
Mike Phelan
Dekatron

Well spotted, Tim!
The RP25B is a superb set, and indeed does not have the infamous AF* transwhiskers.
Mine, which is playing as we speak (!) is a few feet away from me, and you can see it here.
Old 14th Aug 2008, 9:54 am   #8
flyingtech55
Octode

Hi Mike

Yup...that's the one. I'll take some pictures before I clean it up. Then I'll have to try and crack posting pictures on the forum.

I'll also check the electrolytics that both you and Nick mention.

I'm glad I spotted the radio. This type of good fortune often seems to happen to others. However, I can no longer complain (probably won't stop me though).

TimR
Old 14th Aug 2008, 10:57 pm   #9
flyingtech55
Octode

Hi all

Update on above radio...

It doesn't work...damn!!

All I get is a couple of very faint stations on MW and nothing on either FM or LW. There is a quiet hiss from the speaker with the volume fully advanced showing activity in the AF stages. I reckon it might be an IF fault.

Ho-hum. Onward and upwards. Better start checking voltages and such like.

TimR
Old 14th Aug 2008, 11:07 pm   #10
Steve_P
Dekatron

Never mind and don't worry!

Check and clean the buttons on top. Make sure all contacts are clean and of course check all wiring. Common problem. If that does not cure it, I'll get the manuals out!

Cheers,

Steve P.
Old 14th Aug 2008, 11:09 pm   #11
captain_70s
Retired Dormant Member

Shame, although that is always the risk of getting stuff from the tip.
I saw a good looking TV in one the other day, but not knowing if it was completley ruined under the surface put me of.
Old 14th Aug 2008, 11:14 pm   #12
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

I bet it's those big electrolytics dragging the volts to the tuner/IF stages down.

Try replacing C21 (350uF).

Have you got the manual? It's just as nice as the set it!

P.S. I think some of these DO have AF117s

N.
Old 14th Aug 2008, 11:19 pm   #13
flyingtech55
Octode

Hi Nick

That might well be the problem. The IF amp isn't doing much and low voltage could easily stop the VHF oscillator. Where about, physically, are the capacitors? Most of them seem to be the blue Mullard type.

Unfortunately I don't have the circuit/manual.

TimR
Old 15th Aug 2008, 8:24 am   #14
Mike Phelan
Dekatron

Tim
C21 is at the top of the board just under the VC/On-off switch. Nick is right about the earlier AM IF strip having germanium transistors - in that case, there is C16 (250 mfd) to suspect as well.

Worth getting a manual from Paul Stenning in the usual way - it's quite a weighty tome -34 pages. There were a few changes and mods to the design.
Old 15th Aug 2008, 8:43 am   #15
chipp1968
Rest in Peace

I grew up with one of these in the Kitchen .Its in Mums attic . I keep thinking about raiding the attic for it then dont . I have also just been given another last week from where i was working ,along with two smaller ones ones Autocrat mk2 among them .The least attractive seams to be factory covered in fablon.
I remember Mums set has a fault .and I believe the other 3 do to
Old 15th Aug 2008, 12:10 pm   #16
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Phelan View Post
Worth getting a manual from Paul Stenning in the usual way - it's quite a weighty tome -34 pages.
Yes, £1.99 VERY well spent. Armed with that and a voltmeter, you'll be away in no time. Do get the right version though, i.e. not the /A or /B versions if yours is just the RP25, and get the manufacturer's sheet in preference to the Radio & TV Servicing precis.

Nick.
Old 15th Aug 2008, 2:06 pm   #17
Paul_RK
Dekatron

Yes - the model number, RP25, RP25A or RP25B, is at the bottom right hand corner of the control panel. Only early RP25s have germanium IF transistors, that change came a while before the RP25 was supplanted by the RP25A: then the -B version unlike its predecessors uses an IC on its FM IF board.

Paul
Closed Thread