UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 10th Aug 2008, 10:53 pm   #1
Colourstar
Octode

Default Is my 30s Pye past it?

Hello All

I snapped up a tatty but appealing mid 30s Pye table radio in a Lincolnshire antiques centre the other day for a mere tenner. The chap at the counter told me the set worked and despite my reseverations insisted on powering the old girl up. Radio 4 LW was soon booming merrily across the shop! A closer examination when I got home revealed that the internal wiring had been replaced with modern plastic type and all the caps were of modern origin- a very neat job too. Alas after ten minutes or so of lovely window-rattling audio, I became aware of a distinct pong from the set and powered off. Removing the power pack and taking it's cover off revealed a rather dessicated looking mains transformer- see photo- which had been running very hot, although the set sounded fine. I suspect the set was restored some years ago and has been stored somewhere less than ideal in the meantime. With a complex looking transformer about to expire presumably this is curtains for my wonderful Pye ... unless anyone can offer a ray of hope?

Cheers
Steve J
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	forum 190.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	60.3 KB
ID:	19109   Click image for larger version

Name:	forum 189.jpg
Views:	281
Size:	71.1 KB
ID:	19110  
Old 10th Aug 2008, 11:06 pm   #2
Steve_P
Dekatron

Default Re: Is my 30s Pye past it?

No, it's not past it! That's the sort of comment my Dad would make...

Leave the set to dry out for a bit then try again. If it still does it, remove the transformer and send it to Ed Dinning or MurphyMad and it can be rewound if needed. Or see what Gerry's got in stores...

While it's away, check the wiring and make sure it's right. You never know....

Cheers,

Steve P.
Old 10th Aug 2008, 11:13 pm   #3
PJL
Dekatron

It would also be a good idea to start it up with a lamp limiter as those replacement capacitors look quite old.
Old 10th Aug 2008, 11:58 pm   #4
paulsherwin

I agree with Steve, the transformer is probably suspect but can be rewound at (relatively) little cost. It's *never* worth scrapping a 1930s set unless it is a complete wreck, which yours certainly isn't

Paul
Old 11th Aug 2008, 8:31 am   #5
chipp1968
Rest in Peace

Agreed . I like this range of pye sets , look good and sound good .well worth sorting out
Old 11th Aug 2008, 8:44 am   #6
kestrelmusic
Hexode

No Pye set is ever worth scrapping! What model number is this? A replacement transformer should be easy enough to get. If it's 1930s it is presumably 4V LT and around 300-0-300V HT.
Old 11th Aug 2008, 9:52 am   #7
PJL
Dekatron

I don't know about Pye particularly but I have had very few problems with 1930's mains transformers. Can you confirm the smell is coming from the transformer?
Old 11th Aug 2008, 10:04 am   #8
Tractorfan
Dekatron

Location: St. Frajou, l'Isle en Dodon, Haute Garonne, France.(Previously: Ellesmere Port, Cheshire, UK.)

Just my twopennorth, sounds daft, but was the mains voltage selector on the correct tapping? It's a very common thing with old radios here as most of France was on 110volts years ago and when old radios are dug out of attics, sheds, etc. and plugged in the Tx is usually fried because the tap wasn't changed to 230volts. The UK used to have allsorts of various mains voltages before it was standardised at 240volts 50Hz. Good luck with the repair.
Just a thought.
Cheers de Pete
Old 11th Aug 2008, 1:06 pm   #9
yestertech
Nonode

Chances are that a fault elsewhere is cooking the mains transformer especially if it only heats up over a 10 min. period - ensure that it is cool first, then try removing the rectifier valve and powering up whilst checking the temperature rise ( should be quite quick iff it's a genuine transformer fault ) . Power off and check after say 5 mins.
If it's still cold, then the transformer is probably OK.

I had a similar problem with an old HMV which was on soak test following repairs. Although playing well, I thought I heard something bubbling during quiet passages.
This turned out to be the LS field coil !
The output valve was in some sort of ' thermal runaway' and was drawing increasingly large amounts of HT current. Had the field coil not yielded a clue, it would probably have boiled the mains transformer instead. ( A new OP valve fixed the problem, happily before any real damage occured )

Andy
Old 11th Aug 2008, 1:57 pm   #10
Sideband
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colourstar View Post
all the caps were of modern origin- a very neat job too.

Those 'modern' caps look to be about 50 years old!

I wouldn't condemn the transformer just yet. Like Andy says, pull the rectifier valve out first and then power up (you could use a lamp limiter as well). If there are no signs of overheating, then look elswhere (rectifier, smoothing caps etc)...and make sure the voltage tapping is correct.

Rich.
Old 11th Aug 2008, 2:13 pm   #11
murphymad
Heptode

If it does turn out to be the transformer itself, I do have a spare original one here.

Mike...
Old 11th Aug 2008, 11:11 pm   #12
Colourstar
Octode

Thanks to everyone for their thoughts and ideas, all are much appreciated. Don't fear, there's absolutely no chance of me junking a set like this. It's about as likely as me scrapping my beloved but tatty Morris Minor!!

I'll try the set again minus rectifier tomorrow when I have more time and report back. I did check the voltage tapping was correct incidentally. The large grey cap in the power pack is dated 1972, so whilst not quite 50 years old (!) is not exactly new either.

Cheers all
Steve J
Old 12th Aug 2008, 9:33 pm   #13
Colourstar
Octode

Right folks, here are a few more details on the Pye. It's a model T20 from 1936 and is covered by Trader Sheet 150. Interestingly it incorporates an orange neon tuning indicator tube which runs most of the length of the tuning scale.

Powering up the set through the lamp limiter made the bulb in series with the set light up brightly and it didn't dim at all as the radio warmed up.

(The resistance across the mains input of the set measures 32 ohms.)

With the rectifier removed the transformer did not appear to become hot, although it began emitting a pong fairly quickly. Not burning, but a sort of sweet smell. I could hear occasional ticking noises too.

I hope the above info may provide some useful evidence...

Steve J
Old 12th Aug 2008, 9:40 pm   #14
Steve_P
Dekatron

Yes it does. The transformer is overheating because it wants rewinding.

Cheers,

Steve P.
Old 12th Aug 2008, 9:46 pm   #15
PJL
Dekatron

Disconnect C26 & C27 just in case but it doesn't sound good...Peter

Steve beat me to it but I think it's still worth a try...
Closed Thread