UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 26th Jun 2011, 6:24 pm   #21
MikeyPP
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Philips N4506.

It does sense effective reel size - there's a detailed circuit description from page 5 onwards in the manual.
Do you need a link to it ?

could be you've got some aging caps in there as the circuit relies on certain caps charging and difference between the voltage coming off the supply motor as a generator and the voltage supplied to the driving (be it RW or FF) motor

Last edited by MikeyPP; 26th Jun 2011 at 6:29 pm.
Old 27th Jun 2011, 4:44 am   #22
toshiba tony
Heptode

thankyou, you simplified what i meant to ask, i thought i was on the right rails with the relation between take up and supply reel speed, yourre a great help, i appreciate i have asked a lot about this machine, i am still in the trade refurbing lcd tvs but these machines are as tricky as the tvs, and yes, a link would be appreciated, tricomp kindly sent one but i opened it and didnt save it, many thanks all, although on reflection i checked the motor voltage on the leading motor during ff\rw and it was approaching 20v, i wont bother you again until ive read the manual
thanks
tony walker
Old 27th Jun 2011, 8:04 am   #23
MikeyPP
Retired Dormant Member

PM'ed
Old 27th Jun 2011, 1:31 pm   #24
jamesperrett
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by toshiba tony View Post
should the capstan motor run all the time
The capstan motor runs all the time the mode switch is set to Tape. If you set it to Amplifier then it will stop.

James.
Old 27th Jun 2011, 2:19 pm   #25
toshiba tony
Heptode

thank you mikey and james, i got the manual and sorted the rewind\ff issue out, a couple of caps were high in value, now it flies, there seems to be 3 autostop devices, the metallic strip, if present, the tension arms and some new one on me, when the tape has only a few feet left the relationship between the spools is detected and slows the tape right down to almost stop and then the stop function occurs, maybe this a function that shouldnt happen, but the speed deacceleration is rapid when it has almost rewound, i used the correct value caps, you have been so helpful, any chance of a user guide, please?
thanks again all
tony walker
Old 4th Jul 2011, 3:20 pm   #26
toshiba tony
Heptode

sorry, one last request, i formatted pc and forgot to save service manual, any kind souls please, thankyou
tony walker
Old 4th Jul 2011, 4:05 pm   #27
MikeyPP
Retired Dormant Member

http://elektrotanya.com/philips_n4506.pdf/download.html

Old 4th Jul 2011, 7:15 pm   #28
toshiba tony
Heptode

thankyou
Closed Thread