UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Television Standards Converters, Modulators etc

Notices

Television Standards Converters, Modulators etc Standards converters, modulators anything else for providing signals to vintage televisions.

Closed Thread

Old 2nd Apr 2012, 7:18 pm   #61
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

Default Re: Freeview box with a modulator

Hi
Don't see why not, as long as they were to normal video and audio spec.
Glyn
Old 3rd Apr 2012, 5:06 pm   #62
yampy187
Hexode

Might give that a try then. There's one lying behind my sofa of all the random places

Cheers

Jan

Last edited by Brian R Pateman; 5th Apr 2012 at 9:15 am. Reason: Quote of preceding post removed.
Old 3rd Apr 2012, 6:32 pm   #63
ColinB
Heptode

For anyone wanting a modulator with CVBS and stereo audio inputs, look for a playstation games console, and take the modulator from that.

Chop the plug off the end, and fit three phono plugs or a scart plug and jobs a goodun. This will need some form of DC supply, though - not so sure on the details of that.
Old 9th Apr 2012, 10:22 pm   #64
matthewhouse
Octode

Last one I messed with needed 5V DC. It was quite obvious where to input it.

Matty
Old 18th Apr 2012, 11:37 am   #65
whyperion
Hexode

I am intending putting my Goodmans GDB3 on my misc items clearout sale thread , its SW 3.12 , from Nov 2004. Just retuned in London and working ok , new(ish) remote control . Only problem I can see is the up/down arrows on remote dont preview channel info on screen ( but then mums mini goodman STB does not do that either ) , excellent EPG , but no paper manual (lost it , no batteries for remote either ) This box also has RS232 Twin Scart Outputs L/R Audio outputs. I presume this is one where the CoAx TV out is off board.

I also have a Bush iD DFTA5 but this only says loop through on the back so I guess is wired straight from the Ant Input and not off the signal of the STB.
Old 9th Mar 2013, 5:47 pm   #66
ntscuser
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppppenguin View Post
The Goodmans GDR-11 is supplied by the DSO help scheme when a box with modulator is needed. I understand that the commercially available box is the same as used in the scheme but the remote is different
+I for the Goodmans

It has a built-in power supply which is rare in this price range which saves messing about with power adapters. The remote can also be used to control the volume of early sets which didn't have a remote of their own.

Audio reception is pretty dire though with dropout every few minutes even in strong signal areas so this is not a box for showcasing television sound. My own is used with a 12" B&W Teleton portable dating from 1983.

There's a full review of the Goodmans here written by yours truly.
Old 9th Mar 2013, 7:27 pm   #67
Philips210
Nonode

Hi.

I have one of the Goodmans GDR11 boxes which I use with my Darius MK4 standards converter for operating my 405 line TVs, and must say that I'm very pleased with it considering the price. As ntscuser points out it is very useful having the power supply integral to the box. I haven't so far experienced any audio drop-outs on my box.

Regards
Symon.
Old 10th Mar 2013, 4:52 pm   #68
ntscuser
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philips210 View Post
I haven't so far experienced any audio drop-outs on my box.
Hi Symon

Interesting, it may be that I was just unlucky with the particular box I bought but as I only paid £20 for it (delivered) and it's only for occasional use I didn't want the hassle of returning it. They're still available from a well-known supermarket chain.

Incidentally my Goodmans replaces an Alba STBX3 which didn't have modulated RF but it could output 3.58 MHz 525/60 pure NTSC from any UK Freeview channel! The Alba went up in smoke (literally) while my regular set top box was away being upgraded to DSO standard so I was forced to buy a cheap replacement at very short notice.
Old 14th Mar 2013, 1:22 pm   #69
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

I don't think you can do much better than this.
Goodmans GDR10 complete with book, remote and scart lead. Advertised as reconditioned but appear brand new to me. £12.99 including V.A.T. and delivery. Just received mine this morning. Brilliant performance. Have ordered a second. Supplier? AMAZON. John.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	GDR10.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	70.5 KB
ID:	77464  
Old 14th Mar 2013, 2:49 pm   #70
emeritus
Dekatron

I have an Icecrypt T5000 that has a modulator. It can output RF on systems I, B/G and D/K and NTSC. The only info about NTSC in the manual is in a bullet point : "* NTSC/PAL automatic conversion" . While I have no NTSC apparatus I could try it on, I have confirmed its B/G functionality on a Schneider multi-standard TV that works with UK PAL I, European PaL B/G and French SECAM.
Old 14th Mar 2013, 4:50 pm   #71
ntscuser
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heatercathodeshort View Post
I don't think you can do much better than this.
Goodmans GDR10 complete with book, remote and scart lead. Advertised as reconditioned but appear brand new to me. £12.99 including V.A.T. and delivery. Just received mine this morning. Brilliant performance. Have ordered a second. Supplier? AMAZON. John.
Good find! Here's the user manual: http://www.goodmans.co.uk/media/user...ls/GDR10_1.pdf

Quote:
Originally Posted by emeritus View Post
I have an Icecrypt T5000 that has a modulator. It can output RF on systems I, B/G and D/K and NTSC. The only info about NTSC in the manual is in a bullet point : "* NTSC/PAL automatic conversion" . While I have no NTSC apparatus I could try it on, I have confirmed its B/G functionality on a Schneider multi-standard TV that works with UK PAL I, European PaL B/G and French SECAM.
Useful to know, thanks

Now all we need is a Freeview receiver with 405 line output switchable between NTSC color and B&W
Old 13th May 2014, 5:46 pm   #72
Telleadict
Hexode

Hello

I find it'd a bit of a long time since the last posting to revive this thread but someone might be interested.

I've just had a flyer from CPC and find they stock a Goodmans box similar to the one mention just above - this is model GDR11 and is described as having a modulator and it seems to be a current product, not "end of line". Here's a link to it anyway.

Bye
Will
Old 16th May 2014, 10:16 pm   #73
davidgem1406
Heptode

Thats interesting and not expensive either, nice one.

Dave
Closed Thread