UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 19th Nov 2017, 11:49 pm   #21
FERNSEH
Dekatron

Default Re: What have I done?? Fidelity AVS1600.

I've always wanted to kick one of those horrible Fidelity AVS things down a flight of stairs. Never got around to doing that but I did smash a good number of them up, the CRTs were reused in other more deserving sets.
After all I did eject a Philips Style 70 TV out of an attic by simply pushing out through the hatch. It landed on an old mattress.

DFWB.
Old 20th Nov 2017, 12:55 am   #22
Lloyd 1985
Nonode

Quote:
After all I did eject a Philips Style 70 TV out of an attic by simply pushing out through the hatch. It landed on an old mattress.
Did it survive intact?

I dropped a telly down a hill once... Not on purpose! It hit a tree at the bottom with quite a thump, to my amazement it only suffered a crack in the side of the plastic cabinet! It was one of those Iskra 12" black and white sets.

Regards,
Lloyd
Old 20th Nov 2017, 1:20 am   #23
FERNSEH
Dekatron

"Did it survive intact?"
Indeed it did. A soft landing on the Mattress. The Iskra 12" portable TV was a tough little set. A lot of those Eastern Bloc sets were rather over engineered. The Fidelity AVS models were certainly not.

DFWB.
Old 20th Nov 2017, 9:24 am   #24
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by FERNSEH View Post
"Did it survive intact?"
Indeed it did. A soft landing on the Mattress. DFWB.
I presume then that someone was sleeping on it at the time.

We were lucky that the manufacturers had rental outlets. They were encouraged to design receiver chassis that could be easily serviced in the home.

As rental began to fade the enthusiasm to build easy service chassis was no longer of interest and we ended up with some nasty designs to the end of the CRT era [and beyond].

Fidelity, a company with a previous good reputation simply followed the trend in an attempt to survive. Blame the good old British public who are more keen to spend £140 per week on cigarettes rather than another £20 on a television they expect to last for 10 years.

It may have been that very big 'Excelsior' Gnome that they gave away with each AVS that sold so many. [One Foot in the Grave.] The Gnome episode is one of the funniest I have ever seen on television. John.
Old 23rd Nov 2017, 2:18 am   #25
Techman
Dekatron

Bad luck with the tube on the other set. I've transported hundreds of sets in the back of a van back in the day and never broke one, but I always made sure they were well packed and I used to have several large pieces of foam and old blanketing for the purpose. You have to moderate your driving too when there's other peoples sets in the back of the van. You were lucky that on this occasion this was your own set and not a customers. Ideally, the Ferranti should have been transported on its face on some soft cloth. You've learned a bit of a hard lesson and I'm sure it's something that you'll never do again. I think that all of us have done something similar and had a bit of a disaster to teach us a lesson at some time in our lives - we just wish we could all wind the clock back.

On a positive note, that Ferranti isn't a very good example of that particular set and there will be some useful parts for another one if you break it up. As daft as it sounds, times are changing and the Fidelity is probably becoming a more valuable and unusual set than the older Ferranti - I hope the neck of that tube didn't damage the cabinet of the Fidelity too much! I bet you haven't got the special remote control that goes with the Fidelity, have you?
Old 28th Nov 2017, 9:35 am   #26
Freya
Octode

looking at the pictures of the chassis I would break it for the useful parts if it doesn't sell.
Old 28th Nov 2017, 6:52 pm   #27
Techman
Dekatron

I'm confused!

Which set do you mean? I don't think we've been shown pictures of the chassis of either of the sets yet.
Old 28th Nov 2017, 7:03 pm   #28
Freya
Octode

One is on popular auction site
Old 28th Nov 2017, 7:05 pm   #29
Techman
Dekatron

Ah, thanks for that, Stephen. I hadn't seen it. Best not to say any more on the subject.
Old 25th Jan 2018, 8:51 pm   #30
Rigsby 77
Retired Dormant Member

I've just had to have a lie down in a dark room...my last "proper job" before I went self employed was with Mastercare as a bench engineer 1988 but that is another story... . We had loads of these things to repair, they were used as currency. I would do two repairs as a swop rather doing these evil cheaply made piles of .

Tony
Old 27th Jan 2018, 12:01 pm   #31
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

Oh Please! Stop reviving horrible memories! Thankfully Nurse Edith Cavell left an emergency supply of calming pills at the end of her last visit. This cruelty must end! Johhhhnnn.
Old 27th Jan 2018, 12:47 pm   #32
Tractorfan
Dekatron

Location: St. Frajou, l'Isle en Dodon, Haute Garonne, France.(Previously: Ellesmere Port, Cheshire, UK.)
Smile Re: What have I done?? Fidelity AVS1600.

Hi,
Sorry if I'm off topic, but I was brought up with a Ferranti television very much like the one in this thread, which came into the house in around 1958. The difference was that ours had a cabinet rounded along the top sides and a VHF radio that never worked very well, probably because we didn't have the 'twigs' attached the the aerial. What model no. would that be, please.
Cheers, Pete.
Old 27th Jan 2018, 2:10 pm   #33
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

The Ekco equivalent is the TCG316. Identical except for the badge.
To compare this lovely bit of kit to the AVS is almost a criminal offence.
Regards, John.

Just found it. Ferranti TCG1019.
Old 27th Jan 2018, 3:02 pm   #34
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

Yes I hated them too and yes I worked at Currys Group services for a while in Lincoln.
Old 27th Jan 2018, 3:24 pm   #35
Nuvistor
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heatercathodeshort View Post
The Ekco equivalent is the TCG316. Identical except for the badge.
http://www.thevalvepage.com/tv/ekco/tcg316/tcg316.htm