UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Other Discussions > Homebrew Equipment

Notices

Homebrew Equipment A place to show, design and discuss the weird and wonderful electronic creations from the hands of individual members.

Closed Thread

Old 9th Jul 2013, 8:49 pm   #1
Paul Collins
Retired Dormant Member

Default VFO, and noise source. I need a bit of advice please.

I need to build a wide range VFO, and also a noise source quite rich in noise content, can any of you please point me in the right direction.
Paul de M0BSW
Old 11th Jul 2013, 11:40 am   #2
lesmw0sec
Octode

Default Re: VFO, and noise source. I need a bit of advice please.

If you are happy going the digital route, have you considered using the AD9850 which I think is still available on Amazon for a few quid? Ideal for an audio-HF VFO which can be tuned in 1 c/s increments, accuracy to crystal clock. Needs to be controlled with a processor or PIC though.

Les.

P.S. Just thought - you could probably do the noise as well, with a pseudo-random sequence, but a diode might be simpler!

Last edited by lesmw0sec; 11th Jul 2013 at 11:42 am. Reason: Addition
Old 11th Jul 2013, 12:57 pm   #3
G8HQP Dave
Rest in Peace

What do you mean by 'wide range'? Like a multi-range RF sig gen, or like a MW tuner, or merely a bit wider than an amateur band?

What do you mean by 'rich in noise content'? All noise sources do that. Frequency range? What is it for? Receiver alignment, or receiver measurement? Loudspeaker measurement? Audio synthesiser?

We need to know about the application.
Old 11th Jul 2013, 4:20 pm   #4
Paul Collins
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by G8HQP Dave View Post
What do you mean by 'wide range'? Like a multi-range RF sig gen, or like a MW tuner, or merely a bit wider than an amateur band?

What do you mean by 'rich in noise content'? All noise sources do that. Frequency range? What is it for? Receiver alignment, or receiver measurement? Loudspeaker measurement? Audio synthesiser?

We need to know about the application.
Yes Dave spot on ,receiver IF alignment, is exactly what I want to do. not really sure what I need, so any help would be excellent stuffed with it at the moment.
Paul de M0BSW .

Last edited by Paul Collins; 11th Jul 2013 at 4:42 pm.
Old 11th Jul 2013, 6:39 pm   #5
G8HQP Dave
Rest in Peace

You need to decide what you need before buying/making it. What sort of receiver? IF frequency? AM? FM? SSB? We are smart, but we don't read minds.

If you are starting from scratch then a cheapish RF sig gen may be the answer, or a good second-hand one (e.g. Advance).
Old 12th Jul 2013, 8:31 am   #6
Paul Collins
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by G8HQP Dave View Post
You need to decide what you need before buying/making it. What sort of receiver? IF frequency? AM? FM? SSB? We are smart, but we don't read minds.

If you are starting from scratch then a cheapish RF sig gen may be the answer, or a good second-hand one (e.g. Advance).
455mhz, AM,MW,LW
Old 12th Jul 2013, 11:22 am   #7
G8HQP Dave
Rest in Peace

Quote:
455mhz, AM,MW,LW
I assume you mean 455kHz. 455mHz is slower than the rotation speed of a 33rpm LP.

You need a cheap RF sig gen. Or make one.
Old 12th Jul 2013, 11:42 am   #8
Paul Collins
Retired Dormant Member

Yes sorry hit wrong key yes I have a signal generator ,think I'll make though need the practise,plus the pure fun of it as well, thank you for replying Dave.
Closed Thread