UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 12th Oct 2018, 6:06 pm   #1
JCUKVINTAGERADI
Triode

Question Kenwood LS-P9200 Speakers And Cabinet

Not sure if the setup I have got is Vintage enough for this forum but here goes.

I have got a set of the above speakers and matching cabinet, I have re-foamed the sub and radiator sub in each unit
I was wondering what I should be filling the cabinet with to make it genuine?

Anyone any ideas?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	LS-P9200.jpg
Views:	432
Size:	32.8 KB
ID:	170782   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cabinet.jpg
Views:	315
Size:	16.5 KB
ID:	170783  
Old 12th Oct 2018, 7:34 pm   #2
Radio Wrangler

Default Re: Kenwood LS-P9200 Speakers And Cabinet

If by 'cabinet' you mean the speaker cabinets, bonded acetate fibre (BAF) would probably be the period correct material.

If by 'cabinet' you mean the stacking cabinet, lots of 1980s Trio/Kenwood hifi gear is the inevitable suggestion.. whatever you can get your hands on 1980s Japanese hifi gear can be found for not very much money if not free. It's all a case of what turns up. Quite a lot of it was rather good. though it's frowned on by hifi snobs. This is what keeps the prices down.

If you're not feeling especially loyal to Kenwood then you have the entire works of Yamaha, Denon, Pioneer, the better end of Technics and the Sony 'ES' series. Choosing is most of the fun, so we shouldn't do it for you.

Whatever you fancy, google it and you'll come across tons of reports saying it's awesome and tons of reports saying it sucks. So you still have to choose for yourself. The noise level is far greater than the information level.

If your tastes run to big, brash and impressive, the larger receivers by Pioneer and Sansui may answer your dreams. If you fancy elegance and understatement, maybe the top end from Yamaha may float your boat. Just plain good suggests the Sony ES line.

Want something Japanese, and off the beaten track but unusual? Try Luxman or Kensonic Accuphase.

If non-Japanese OK? The world is your fruitbat

David
Old 12th Oct 2018, 8:40 pm   #3
teetoon
Heptode

Hello. Here's a quick image from google. There are many more images and clicking on them sometimes provides links.

David.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Kenwood LS P9200 and rack.jpg
Views:	4240
Size:	77.3 KB
ID:	170791  
Old 13th Oct 2018, 12:42 am   #4
JCUKVINTAGERADI
Triode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio Wrangler View Post
If you're not feeling especially loyal to Kenwood then you have the entire works of Yamaha, Denon, Pioneer, the better end of Technics and the Sony 'ES' series. Choosing is most of the fun, so we shouldn't do it for you.
It would have to be Trio/Kenwood I would be looking for what was in the Stack when it was bought by someone with the cash LOL

Thanks for the info though and I will keep searching

Quote:
Originally Posted by teetoon View Post
Hello. Here's a quick image from google. There are many more images and clicking on them sometimes provides links.
I have seen this image on G and have seen others where the systems have had silver/aluminum fronts so still not 100% sure where to go or what to buy but working on it

Thanks for the pic though
Old 13th Oct 2018, 12:45 am   #5
JCUKVINTAGERADI
Triode

Will be re-assembling the speakers tomorrow after 48hrs of bonding of the foams for the subs and Radiators. I have a A-85 FULL system so will give them a try on that to see what all the fuss was about
Old 24th Dec 2018, 8:18 pm   #6
JCUKVINTAGERADI
Triode

Default Is This Right?

As this is my first foray into Hi-Fi I am wondering if that the record player that I have is the same as all others size wise?

The width doesn't match the rest of the separates so assuming that this is the way it is or are there turntables out there available in full size to match?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20181224_185612.jpg
Views:	708
Size:	37.2 KB
ID:	175146  
Old 24th Dec 2018, 8:51 pm   #7
JCUKVINTAGERADI
Triode

The Kenwood project coming along slowly, re-foamed the subs and radiators. Made small repairs to the cabinet and speakers to make them look good. Done the first full setup and test, more tuning and other separates to be purchased to make it all fit together. So far it looks and sounds great. Just need to make sure the neighbors are out to give it the full volume test
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20181224_185612.jpg
Views:	405
Size:	37.2 KB
ID:	175147   Click image for larger version

Name:	20181224_192156.jpg
Views:	1482
Size:	84.7 KB
ID:	175148   Click image for larger version

Name:	20181224_192240.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	51.2 KB
ID:	175149   Click image for larger version

Name:	20181224_192345.jpg
Views:	356
Size:	59.8 KB
ID:	175150   Click image for larger version

Name:	20181224_192458.jpg
Views:	1028
Size:	35.0 KB
ID:	175151  

Old 25th Dec 2018, 9:43 am   #8
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

Default Re: Is This Right?

Your impressive rig has a Midi-sized TT (i.e. non-standard size) rather than a full size one.
Old 25th Dec 2018, 12:13 pm   #9
RojDW48
Nonode

The Americans are very fond of Kenwood and these multi-driver loudspeakers. The 'Vintage audio collectors and technicians' group on Facebook has some knowledgeable commenters amongst all the Wows! and Kools! and Awesomes! You might get some good information there.
Old 25th Dec 2018, 12:19 pm   #10
JCUKVINTAGERADI
Triode

Default Re: Is This Right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Huggins View Post
Your impressive rig has a Midi-sized TT (i.e. non-standard size) rather than a full size one.
Yes I have asked that in another post and haven't seen (well probably never looked hard enough) for a full sized TT

Am on the case
Old 25th Dec 2018, 12:26 pm   #11
JCUKVINTAGERADI
Triode

Quote:
Originally Posted by RojDW48 View Post
The Americans are very fond of Kenwood and these multi-driver loudspeakers. The 'Vintage audio collectors and technicians' group on Facebook has some knowledgeable commenters amongst all the Wows! and Kools! and Awesomes! You might get some good information there.
Just joined and thanks for tip
Old 25th Dec 2018, 12:33 pm   #12
JCUKVINTAGERADI
Triode

Looking at the back of the SRC-98 cabinet I am assuming that the different sized holes in the rear cover is to have certain bits of kit on different shelves?

What confuses me is if the separates are full sized what would go on the lower shelves as you wouldn't be able to get to sockets as they would be hidden by the board.

Just wish I could find a picture of this cabinet filled with the stuff it was sold with. Looked in lots of Kenwood brochures from the time and the only reference to my system are a set of LS-P9300 speakers from the 90's.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20181225_112437.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	41.6 KB
ID:	175159   Click image for larger version

Name:	20181225_112442.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	67.9 KB
ID:	175160  
Old 25th Dec 2018, 1:24 pm   #13
Radio Wrangler

The market for Japanese systems was strongly biased towards the low-mid priced stuff here in the UK Some of their more expensive stuff was sold, but it was very much in the minority. People with the money for grander stuff had the likes of Quad, Mission, B&W, Spendor and so on to distract them. By about this period, Leak was on the slippery slope.

An interesting project, but you'll have to work a bit to find the probable original models that occupied that cabinet. Similarly, literature for that range of gear won't be very common, so the likelihood of it being preserved is a lot higher in the US.

David
Old 25th Dec 2018, 2:10 pm   #14
JCUKVINTAGERADI
Triode

Yes you are right it's not going to be easy to find the stuff to go in it.

Full size TTs are also quite hard to find and most are of silver colour so I may have gone down the wrong route with the stuff I already have in the cabinet. Maybe all the stuff was silver in colour which is going to make it even harder to find and be pricey :-(
Old 25th Dec 2018, 7:30 pm   #15
Radio Wrangler

Around that era makers switched back and forwards between silver and black versions of their stuff. Often they made both in parallel and it was the importers who may have chosen only one version.

You'll find a lot better selection available from Japan, but beware the units may only have mains tappings for Japanese 100v mains.

David