UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 8th Aug 2018, 11:34 am   #1
SteveCG
Nonode

Default Linn Axis turntable & cartridge

I have a Linn Axis on the bench at the moment. It had failing motor capacitors, but after replacement, the turntable is now running nicely. My question though is about what the tracking weight for the cartridge should be?

It is a Linn cartridge (I believe supplied with turntable) with a orange stylus holder. Currently it is set at about 1.75 grams. Is this reasonable?

Thanks.
Old 8th Aug 2018, 11:53 am   #2
paulsherwin

Default Re: Linn Axis turntable & cartridge

I think the carts are basically Audio Technica AT95Es so that tracking weight sounds right.
Old 8th Aug 2018, 11:54 am   #3
Goldie99
Heptode

Sounds about right:

http://docs.linn.co.uk/wiki/index.php/FAQ_-_Turntables

If you google (images) the various cartridge models, you can probably id the exact model.
Old 8th Aug 2018, 11:58 am   #4
Mark_RR
Tetrode

Linn K9 and K18 track 1.5 to 2.0 g, so 1.75g is spot on. The K5 may be need 2.0g.

Does the TT have the Akito Arm? The Mk1 Akito is notorious for sticky bearings (both planes). A sticky horizontal bearing is indicated by the arm kicking back onto the record when the stylus enters the run-out groove.
Old 8th Aug 2018, 1:12 pm   #5
DonaldStott
Octode

As usual a picture would be very helpful.

Not wanting to be disloyal to this Forum or the excellent replies so far, you may get a detailed response by Posting on the Linn Forum: -

http://forums.linn.co.uk/bb/
Old 8th Aug 2018, 3:18 pm   #6
SteveCG
Nonode

Thanks folks. I'll look to see if there is a name on the arm.
Old 9th Aug 2018, 12:43 pm   #7
SteveCG
Nonode

Mark RR,

The arm is a Linn Basik Plus.

Indeed the whole set-up looks like it was a standard Linn product (ie not made up of separates by an enthusiast), hence part of the reason for me wondering if this would be enough to identify the Linn cartridge and hence its tracking weight.

Sorry I don't have a camera for a picture - I must be the last bloke in the country not to have a smart 'phone...
Old 9th Aug 2018, 2:05 pm   #8
Mark_RR
Tetrode

Hi Steve,

I am no Linn expert. I have a Linn Basik TT with Akito Mk 1 and K9. This is why I know about the sticky arm bearing problem. I believe the Linn Basik Plus is not afflicted with the same problem even though the arm is very similar in overall appearance to the Akito. My uncle has an Axis with Basik Plus and that arm is fine.

I attach two pictures on my K9 cartridge. As you can see, it is clearly labelled. The K5, K9 and K18 were the 'budget' range on Linn cartridges when I bought my TT. The difference was in the stylus. But your Axis could have an entirely different cartridge fitted.

Mark
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1050183.jpg
Views:	735
Size:	40.6 KB
ID:	167256   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1050184.jpg
Views:	742
Size:	38.8 KB
ID:	167257  
Old 10th Aug 2018, 12:18 pm   #9
SteveCG
Nonode

Thanks for the pictures Mark. I'll look again at the cartridge.
Old 10th Aug 2018, 1:57 pm   #10
paulsherwin

AT95E for comparison: https://eu.audio-technica.com/AT95E
Old 10th Aug 2018, 2:39 pm   #11
richrussell
Heptode

I have a Linn Axis with the Basik Plus arm, fitted with an AT95E after the old Linn K9 cartridge got past its best. I'm sure I didn't change the tracking weight setting, and it's currently at about 1.75g.

I got the turntable for free after the previous owner had problems and was about to take it to the tip. And yes, a couple of capacitors later and a bit of fresh 10W30 oil in the bearing and it's been working beautifully for over 10 years now.
Old 10th Aug 2018, 3:02 pm   #12
SteveCG
Nonode

I'm not close to the Linn at the moment to compare images but the cartridge is definitely a moving magnet (mm). I reckon looking at the web/ebay that it is a Linn K9 - but not with the grey stylus holder and 'Linn K9' name that Mark has posted.
Old 10th Aug 2018, 4:44 pm   #13
Kentode
Octode

In the 80's my first linn K9 was yellow!

BVWS member
Old 10th Aug 2018, 5:09 pm   #14
Mark_RR
Tetrode

You can't get the K series styli anymore, but the Audio Techinica AT 95E stylus will apparently fit and work even though it looks a bit odd as the plastic carrier doesn't wrap around the cartridge body like the genuine article. The K series cartridges were made by AT for Linn.
Old 10th Aug 2018, 5:16 pm   #15
paulsherwin

You might as well change the cart though, as that won't cost much more than buying a stylus and cartridge bodies do deteriorate with age. You can buy an AT95E for under £30. Other budget cartridge options are the AT91 (spherical stylus) and the Rega Carbon (an AT91 with a well regarded improved stylus).

There are many other cartridge options of course.
Old 10th Aug 2018, 5:43 pm   #16
Mark_RR
Tetrode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kentode View Post
In the 80's my first linn K9 was yellow!
There is one for sale on ebay at the moment. The yellow body has a the AT logo on it, but no other marking. Maybe the first K9 were shipped with normal AT styli before Linn had them customised as well.

I bought my Basik/Akito/K9 in June 1991
Old 10th Aug 2018, 6:19 pm   #17
Mark_RR
Tetrode

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulsherwin View Post
You might as well change the cart though, as that won't cost much more than buying a stylus and cartridge bodies do deteriorate with age. You can buy an AT95E for under £30. Other budget cartridge options are the AT91 (spherical stylus) and the Rega Carbon (an AT91 with a well regarded improved stylus).

There are many other cartridge options of course.
Well, everything deteriorates eventually, and I lack the knowledge of how these things are made to comment on a realistic lifespan. However, most of what I've read suggests the cartridge itself will be fine and worth getting a good new stylus for. The K series were better than the AT's upon which they were based and better than the modern AT95E, so even a new AT95E stylus in an old K9 should be better than a new AT 95E (from what I've read).

Of course, if the current stylus is worn (and it is likely to be pretty old by now), anything would be better than it. It seems to be quite possible to buy a new AT95E cartridge for not much more than the cost of the replacement stylus if one shops around. Doing that will give the option of trying a new stylus in the old body or replacing the complete cartridge.

Googling around led me to a seller on ebay who sells AT95E styli that have been retipped with a nude paratrace diamond. I couldn't possibly say if the cost of this (£160) represents good value for money. My interest in vinyl is rather limited these days, and I wouldn't consider paying £160 for a new stylus or a cartridge. It does however point to how much people are willing to invest in their old K-series cartridges.

The Linn Axis can get maligned, but my Uncle's experience shows it is a fine deck and I think it deserves a better cartridge than an AT 95E if it intended for any sort of serious vinyl replay. I'm not saying anything against the AT 95E since it is fine value for money, but you won't get the best out of the Axis with it.

The main thing to note with the Axis TT is that power supply problems are common. Sometimes the fix is simple (changing a few capacitors) and sometimes not. My Uncle always leaves his unplugged when not in use since he did have a problem caused by a mains dip.
Old 11th Aug 2018, 10:02 am   #18
SteveCG
Nonode

Right, I had a further look at the cartridge.

First: seeing things in a better light I can see that the stylus holder is yellow (and not orange as I first said).

Second: it does not have any name on it but it does have the Linn logo.

Third: I indeed saw one for sale on ebay that is yellow and looks exactly like the one on this TT, being sold as a K9.

So I think it is identified (confirming what the tracking weight should be) - thanks folks!

The advice on the desirability of replacing the cartridge now and with what, is very true I shall pass that on. Also Mark's advice on potential psu problems.

Last edited by SteveCG; 11th Aug 2018 at 10:03 am. Reason: punctuation
Old 11th Aug 2018, 11:52 am   #19
ajgriff
Nonode

The K5/9/18 were all specified as 1.5g to 2.0g since they were all basically the same AT cartridge with stylus variations. I think that the weights quoted at the time still reflected a prevailing customer perception that lighter weights were somehow more desirable. It is interesting that the current AT95E has a recommended range of 1.5g to 2.5g. If it were me I'd set the weight at the high end of this latter range, maybe even 2.25g. The owner will almost certainly be impressed by reduced distortion and an overall improvement in sound quality. This assumes of course that the stylus is still in good condition. The only real way to set the best weight is using the ears but that is time cosuming and another story altogether.

I own a Linn Basik Plus tonearm and can confirm that with proper attention to set-up it is capable of drawing out good performance from much better cartridges than the K series.

Hope this helps.

Alan

Last edited by ajgriff; 11th Aug 2018 at 11:57 am.
Old 12th Aug 2018, 12:29 pm   #20
richrussell
Heptode

My K9 has a grey stylus part and a black cartridge body that says 'Japan' on the back above the terminal pins. The grey bit says 'Linn K9' on one side. I've just compared it with the green AT95E that's currently on, and the body is very similar but the green stylus section is a different shape to the grey Linn K9 one.

I don't know why I've kept the worn out K9 but for some reason I just put it in the packaging the Audio Technica came in and put it in a drawer.
Closed Thread