UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Other Discussions > Homebrew Equipment

Notices

Homebrew Equipment A place to show, design and discuss the weird and wonderful electronic creations from the hands of individual members.

Closed Thread

Old 5th Jul 2013, 10:48 pm   #1
greenstar
Octode

Default DX on crystal set?

I just appeared (about 10.30pm) to receive a broadcast by Korean radio on a basic single coil crystal set! The circuit is nothing special, and have only heard today two other stations, Radio Sabras and another, I think Northamptonshire asian station. But the Korean station (http://world.kbs.co.kr) was identified by them giving their website, and a program teaching the Korean language.
Is this a fluke, or have i somehow picked up something rebroadcast from a satellite?
I made this thing to help assess my aerial (about 100ft), headphones etc - just a 50 turn tapped coil and variable capacitor. As in 'the impoverished radio experimenter', but only got this station when I cut out the aerial coil.
Tony
Old 5th Jul 2013, 11:19 pm   #2
Mr Moose
Octode

Default Re: DX on crystal set?

Hello,

If you look here you will see that they broadcast on short waves on a relay from Woofferton in the UK.

http://world.kbs.co.kr/images/about/...e_e_130331.pdf

Yours, Richard
Old 6th Jul 2013, 9:10 am   #3
greenstar
Octode

Richard, thanks. Strange that it's these three stations of all the AM broadcsts in the UK! I hadn't thought to consider SW or that a Korean station could be relaying from a UK transmitter. It is clearly not a very precise instrument - I look forward to further refinement!
Tony
Old 6th Jul 2013, 9:34 am   #4
Radio Wrangler

Looking at most crystal set arrangements, you will have multiple resonances and so be sensitive on a few frequencies... all it takes is a strong enough signal and voila!

I didn't know about 'foreign' relays in the UK.

David