UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items

Notices

Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items For discussions about other vintage (over 25 years old) electrical and electromechanical household items. See the sticky thread for details.

Closed Thread

Old 25th Mar 2021, 8:48 pm   #1
ManxDave
Tetrode

Default Smiths Sectric clock

I have never owned a vintage electric clock so this is completely new to me. I bought it as non working, but for the past few hours it has run without problem. So far I have only changed the 13A fuse for 1A. I'll probably fit a 3 core cable and earth the 'chassis'?, if I can find suitable cable.
The mechanism is pretty grubby so at some time in the future I'd like to learn how to clean and lubricate it correctly, that may quieten it a bit too as it is pretty noisy. My jump in at the deep end approach would be to slosh it about in some IPA and then use a thin oil on the gears but if there is a good youtube video on how to do it properly I'd appreciate a pointer.
For the time being can anybody tell me anything about it, date, mechanism type etc? Actually I am getting to like the noise, it is quite relaxing.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20210325_142935.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	27.5 KB
ID:	230148   Click image for larger version

Name:	20210325_142954.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	30.0 KB
ID:	230149   Click image for larger version

Name:	20210325_143310.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	46.9 KB
ID:	230150   Click image for larger version

Name:	20210325_145108.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	55.5 KB
ID:	230151   Click image for larger version

Name:	20210325_145135.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	49.1 KB
ID:	230152  

Old 26th Mar 2021, 12:33 pm   #2
Mike Phelan
Dekatron

Default Re: Smiths Sectric clock

Hi Dave,

Your clock looks like a Smiths Autobell, made from 1951 - 53. The movement was used on a few different models and they work well.
Whatever you do, don't put oil on the wheels (apart from what I'll mention below). They should be completely dry.
The pivots can have a tiny drop of very thick oil but it doesn't matter too much.
I'd suggest taking the motor out only (4 screws), washing the rest of the movement with IPA then replace the motor witha small amount if thick oil on the exposed pinion. You do need a 3-core mains lead with the earth attached to a nut on the movement.
Let us know how you get in.
Old 26th Mar 2021, 1:15 pm   #3
ManxDave
Tetrode

Thanks for the identification info Mike and the cleaning instructions.
I'm not ready to clean it yet but I will follow exactly as you say when I do. To move the motor it looks like I would have to remove the plastic alarm adjusting knob, how does this come off, it seems too tight to pull or twist against the adjusting direction?
Old 26th Mar 2021, 1:25 pm   #4
Viscount Argus
Diode

Lovely clock I have a few Smith's electric clocks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManxDave View Post
I have never owned a vintage electric clock so this is completely new to me. I bought it as non working, but for the past few hours it has run without problem. So far I have only changed the 13A fuse for 1A. I'll probably fit a 3 core cable and earth the 'chassis'?, if I can find suitable cable.
The mechanism is pretty grubby so at some time in the future I'd like to learn how to clean and lubricate it correctly, that may quieten it a bit too as it is pretty noisy. My jump in at the deep end approach would be to slosh it about in some IPA and then use a thin oil on the gears but if there is a good youtube video on how to do it properly I'd appreciate a pointer.
For the time being can anybody tell me anything about it, date, mechanism type etc? Actually I am getting to like the noise, it is quite relaxing.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20210326_093215.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	54.5 KB
ID:	230199   Click image for larger version

Name:	20210326_092950.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	44.9 KB
ID:	230200  
Old 26th Mar 2021, 3:29 pm   #5
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Nice!

In your position, for a quick service, I would polish the case with Greygate PP no. 6, fit a 3-core lead, and oil the rotor bearing.

Nick.
Old 26th Mar 2021, 3:51 pm   #6
Mike Phelan
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManxDave View Post
Thanks for the identification info Mike and the cleaning instructions.
I'm not ready to clean it yet but I will follow exactly as you say when I do. To move the motor it looks like I would have to remove the plastic alarm adjusting knob, how does this come off, it seems too tight to pull or twist against the adjusting direction?
You don't need to take the knob off, Dave. The motor should come off easily once the screws are removed.

Then, as Nick says, just lubricate.
Old 26th Mar 2021, 4:52 pm   #7
ManxDave
Tetrode

Thanks all. I'll order the Greygate and cable and follow your instructions on lubrication
Closed Thread