UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 14th Mar 2022, 3:55 pm   #1
Cre8anet
Pentode

Default 92-Ohm RG62a/u coax origins?

Anyone know the original application of 92Ohm cables?
...Just a bit puzzled as they appear to be impedance specific, yet some professionally made-up cables seem to have fairly standard BNCs (75Ohm?).
Old 20th Mar 2022, 7:46 pm   #2
2000 type
Tetrode

Default Re: 92-Ohm RG62a/u coax origins?

Used for Common Aerial Working systems on RN ships.
Old 21st Mar 2022, 9:59 am   #3
Jon_G4MDC
Nonode

It's the impedance required to make 75Ohm quarter wave transformer splitters/couplers.
Old 21st Mar 2022, 1:46 pm   #4
Granitehill
Tetrode

93 Ohm cable was used in vast quantitites in IBM 3270 Display System cabling. This was pretty well standard in lots of corporate IBM mainframe systems. As I remember it used standard 75 Ohm BNC connectors (the data rate was only about 2.3 Mb or so).

In general, there was something about the optimum inner/outer dimensions of coax to the effect that the lowest losses were to be found around 92 ohms, and the maximum (theoretical) power handling capability was around 37 ohms !
Old 21st Mar 2022, 3:15 pm   #5
Jon_G4MDC
Nonode

I'm having doubts about post#3. Might be rubbish.
Old 21st Mar 2022, 4:01 pm   #6
Radio Wrangler

I'd have expected 37.5 or 150 depending on how you did it.

I'd believe the IBM one, they were up to every trick imaginable to tie people with their systems to buying their overpriced peripherals. EBCDIC VDUs anyone?

David
Old 21st Mar 2022, 5:21 pm   #7
RogerEvans
Hexode

It is wandering a bit off topic but EBCDIC encoding allegedly had a technical advantage over ASCII when it came to the very crude (possibly just relays) automatic processing of punched card data, which was of course IBM's origin. It was not until Unix and the Internet arrived that IBM sold ASCII based hardware and even then there were enough quirks to discourage users from mixing and matching.

I also remember the 92 ohm coax extremely well, there were literally miles of the stuff in skips at work and even hints that we would be doing them a favour if we wanted to take any home. The same thing happened a second time when 10BaseT thin ethernet was dropped in favour of Cat 5 cabling!

Roger
Closed Thread