UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Amateur and Military Radio

Notices

Vintage Amateur and Military Radio Amateur/military receivers and transmitters, morse, and any other related vintage comms equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 16th Mar 2020, 2:56 pm   #1
Gridiron
Heptode

Default Aircraft Frame Aerial

I bought the pictured frame aerial at yesterday's Radiophile auction. It appears to be almost the same as one picture inside the front cover of Radio Bygones issue 159, captioned "A Mosquito Frame Aerial" and the way the scale is marked would indicate it is for DF use inside the aircraft, with the scale above the loop. As the Mosquito's fuselage is wooden this would have presumably been OK.
Does anyone know what receiver it would have been used with as I would have thought an 1155 would have taken up too much space in a Mosquito.
Mike.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Mosq Frame AE.JPG
Views:	233
Size:	33.7 KB
ID:	201067  
Old 16th Mar 2020, 3:08 pm   #2
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

Default Re: Aircraft Frame Aerial

Very interesting,yes I wonder what would be smaller than a R1155 in an aircraft like a mosquito?
Old 16th Mar 2020, 5:03 pm   #3
M0FYA Andy
Nonode

It doesn't help answer your question, but the T1154/R1155 was a standard Mosquito installation, mounted aft of the crew. Undoubtedly awkward to get at.

Andy
Old 16th Mar 2020, 5:32 pm   #4
Gridiron
Heptode

Thanks for that, Andy, if the Radio Bygones caption is correct, the aerial would have most likely have been used with the 1155, must have been very awkward for the observer to operate.
Mike.
Old 16th Mar 2020, 6:11 pm   #5
turretslug
Dekatron

I gather that when Mosquitos were fitted with Gee, the display was fitted behind the navigator's seat facing upwards, so he had to kneel on his seat facing backwards to use it. Hats off to those who had to get the best out of kit in cramped and trying conditions and under considerable duress.
Old 16th Mar 2020, 6:23 pm   #6
Gridiron
Heptode

Searching on line, I did manage to find a photo showing this type of aerial mounted hanging from the cockpit roof with the 1154 of the installation behind, but I seem to have lost it since. The Spitfire Spares site has a picture taken in a restoration project with a different frame aerial in front of the transmitter with the 1155 receiver mounted sideways behind the pilot presumably to make it easier for the observer to reach it.
Mike.
Old 16th Mar 2020, 7:49 pm   #7
chriswood1900
Octode

I think this may be the image that shows it. https://farm3.*****************/2501/...f269e25e75.jpg
Old 17th Mar 2020, 12:37 am   #8
Gridiron
Heptode

Yes, that's the one, Chris,
Regards Mike.
Closed Thread