UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment

Notices

Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment For discussions about vintage test gear and workshop equipment such as coil winders.

Closed Thread

Old 3rd Mar 2020, 6:16 pm   #41
Techman
Dekatron

Default Re: Henley Solon 25W Soldering Iron Revival

Yes, the old Antex irons did used to get solid, but I never had a problem removing old bits. I've got a couple, one of which I've had since the 60s and it's on its third element and strangely probably not that many more bits.

You're going to laugh now, seeing as it's to hand at the moment, I'm just using that Solon with the remains of that bit to do a temporary soldering of pickup wires onto a record deck I'm testing. That's the first time it's seen the mains for many years and the penetrating fluid did smoke a bit when it first warmed up.
Old 7th Mar 2020, 1:51 am   #42
Techman
Dekatron

I've fitted a normal soldering bit to the special print fixing Ademco / Henley Solon soldering iron today. I sorted out a selection of various bits and in the end went for one of the types that I have as spares for my old RS temperature controlled iron that I still use regularly. I shortened it, but perhaps should have shortened it a little more, but it'll do - I had to drill a hole in it for the cotter pin. I had thought of using one of the Weller type bits I've got, but the shaft would have needed reducing in diameter very slightly. It works very well and I shall make sure the bit doesn't get stuck over time so that I can always go back to the 'special' bit if I need to. The bit I've fitted is copper, but with a plating on it, so hopefully won't tend to have the reaction between the copper and alloy - or at least not for a while.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1130591.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	83.9 KB
ID:	200436   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1130608.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	72.6 KB
ID:	200437   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1130609.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	77.1 KB
ID:	200438  
Old 7th Mar 2020, 10:39 am   #43
ajgriff
Nonode

Looks very usable and I guess you managed to extract the old pin without too much trouble. I would have thought that it's quite possible that the iron plating will interact with the aluminium tip holder as it's what dissimilar metals like to do, especially in the presence of a little humidity and plenty of heat.

Alan
Old 7th Mar 2020, 1:07 pm   #44
Tractorfan
Dekatron

Location: St. Frajou, l'Isle en Dodon, Haute Garonne, France.(Previously: Ellesmere Port, Cheshire, UK.)
Smile Re: Henley Solon 25W Soldering Iron Revival

Hi,
A fascinating thread indeed!
Re: post #39, my Solon 25 watt iron has exactly that, an o/c element. I'm under the impression that these were long obsolete. Is this correct? I'd love to get it going again.
I've amassed quite a few irons over the years; from 15 watts up to 100 watts with various voltages, 50, 110, 230 as well as 240, and also a gas powered one! I also had a Remploy. A firm that gave employment to disabled folk. I remember the little light in it, but it didn't give much illumination.
One iron I had was a cheapo 'Lyvia' iron which had a handle that unscrewed and fitted over the barrel of the iron. It didn't last long!
Cheers. Pete.

Last edited by Tractorfan; 7th Mar 2020 at 1:12 pm. Reason: Rearranging my worms.
Old 7th Mar 2020, 2:54 pm   #45
ajgriff
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tractorfan View Post
I'm under the impression that these were long obsolete. Is this correct? I'd love to get it going again.

Pete
Sadly very much obsolete I'm afraid Pete. The only realistic hope is picking up a complete iron at a boot sale, second hand market or the like. Naturally they do appear on auction sites as well. Trouble is the found iron will probably work and you won't feel much like using it as a donor.

If you're feeling brave you could try removing the faulty element to see if it's possible to effect a repair. Not much to lose in the end. Most of the information needed to try this is contained within this thread's early posts. Referring to the attached low resolution photo the arrow indicates where the element slides into its steel sleeve. The insulating mica can be seen protruding fom the sleeve. If this is withdrawn the element will come out with it. There are several pieces of delicate mica and you'd need to take very careful note of how they are arranged in order to stand a chance of successful reassembly. Not at all easy.

Alan
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Element Detail.JPG
Views:	90
Size:	181.6 KB
ID:	200466  
Closed Thread