UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 11th Sep 2021, 7:04 am   #1
Melvsals
Diode

Default Tandberg model 62/64

Hi All, I've been playing with an old Tandber reel to reel model 62 and realised the motor is running constantly. I've checked both micro switches one for the tape and one for the control lever and both read ok on test meter. I've traced the cable to the rear of the fuse holder and tested here. Not sure if wired correctly any help would be appreciated thanks ..Mel
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	16313401229473064669811451142017.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	36.5 KB
ID:	241023  
Old 11th Sep 2021, 9:10 am   #2
Ted Kendall
Dekatron

Default Re: Tandberg model 62/64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melvsals View Post
Hi All, I've been playing with an old Tandber reel to reel model 62 and realised the motor is running constantly. I've checked both micro switches one for the tape and one for the control lever and both read ok on test meter. I've traced the cable to the rear of the fuse holder and tested here. Not sure if wired correctly any help would be appreciated thanks ..Mel
I think there is a suppressor capacitor across the motor switch - it may have gone leaky.
Old 11th Sep 2021, 10:45 am   #3
DMcMahon
Dekatron

From Teds input I can see on the schematic that there is capacitor C13 (0.1uF/400V paper) in series with resistor R17 (51 Ohms 0.5Watt) across the motor switch & the automatic stop microswitch to act as suppressor (the components together are called a CR snubber in this case). Sometimes the CR components of the snubber are encapsulated in a single package, in this case it sounds like they are 2 discrete components

So quite possible that the capacitor has shorted and maybe also taken out the resistor.

David

Last edited by DMcMahon; 11th Sep 2021 at 10:53 am.
Old 11th Sep 2021, 1:05 pm   #4
Melvsals
Diode

Thanks Ted and David I will check and update.
Great site and very quick response
Old 13th Sep 2021, 3:40 pm   #5
ben
Dekatron

In some tandbergs, this cap is located on the tag strip on the transformer where the motor switch/wires go, and not on the switch itself.
Old 14th Sep 2021, 11:40 pm   #6
ricard
Octode

It's quite common for the snubber cap on these machines (and all Tandbergs of similar vintage) to fail short circuit. Not quite as bad as the Rifa caps which populate the rest of the machine, but not far off. Unlike a failing X2 cap, there are no fireworks associated with the failure, since the cap is mounted across a switch and not across a voltage source.
Old 15th Sep 2021, 9:56 am   #7
Melvsals
Diode

Hi guys. Replaced the cap and resistor this morning and they presto works as it should. Thank you so much for your help.
Closed Thread