UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 8th Aug 2021, 6:43 pm   #1
jmcilkley
Tetrode

Default Marantz 5000 cassette deck

I thought I had finished this restoration but at the last gasp the take-up when a tape plays stopped working. I can't find any information online to describe how this works and wondered if anyone here might have a clue.
There is a white plastic lever that rocks up and down when the tape is playing and sometimes all works fine for a while but other times the play just cuts off.
Any suggestions?
Old 9th Aug 2021, 9:49 am   #2
DMcMahon
Dekatron

Default Re: Marantz 5000 cassette deck

When you say the take up stops working, do you mean that the tape is still being driven forward by the capstan but bunches up as no take up from the take up spindle or is it that play stops completely.

Cannot visualize the white lever.

David
Old 9th Aug 2021, 2:42 pm   #3
jmcilkley
Tetrode

Yes, that's exactly right. Then after a couple of seconds it clicks off and stops. I guess there is some sort of detection that kicks in.
If I could find a schematic of the mechanism I might be able to find the problem but I'm not keen to start dismantling it without some idea.
Old 9th Aug 2021, 11:44 pm   #4
jamesperrett
Octode

If the take up reel is driven by a belt or an idler wheel then I would look at replacing the belt or rubber idler wheel tyre. The white plastic lever is probably connected to a switch which provides regular pulses to the control logic to tell it that the tape is moving. If the pulses stop, the control logic thinks that there is a problem and goes into stop mode to prevent too much tape spillage.
Old 10th Aug 2021, 1:21 am   #5
nickdoofah
Banned

The white rocking lever is part of the full auto stop mechanism! If take up stops the deck will switch to stop pretty much straight away! I guess the problem can be found on that basis!
Old 25th Aug 2021, 11:51 am   #6
jmcilkley
Tetrode

I cleaned all I could after partial dismantling from the back and it is better but still stops fairly frequently with a tape in. Without a tape in it runs perfectly.
I still can't find a full service manual online but did find a partial one that shows how to adjust the take-up clutch mechanism (attached). So my question now is : how do I get to this clutch? From the front or the back? I'm reluctant to dismantle more than I need without a schematic. Does anyone know?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2021-08-25 11.41.14.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	39.3 KB
ID:	240042  
Old 25th Aug 2021, 12:00 pm   #7
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

I think that might be incorporated into the takeup reel table, i.e. just under the bit that pokes into the RH hole in the cassette.

Could you post a picture of the deck with the front panel (and any decorative trim over the front of the mech) removed, please.

However, note that although increasing the torque here may well solve the problem for a good while, it would probably be compensating for a rubber tyre which has begun to slip and really needs replacing.

N

Last edited by Nickthedentist; 25th Aug 2021 at 12:15 pm.
Old 12th Sep 2021, 2:29 pm   #8
jmcilkley
Tetrode

Sorry for the delay - I've been away. I managed to get the cover off and a picture is attached. It's still not obvious what is behind the take-up driver and that circlip holding the arm over it is mighty small!
Does this help?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	marantz1.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	104.9 KB
ID:	241143  
Old 12th Sep 2021, 3:31 pm   #9
TIMTAPE
Octode

As Nick says it's more likely to be weak drive to the take up platter. If so, tightening the clutch will have no effect. Either replace the rubber drive or clean and roughen the existing rubber drive in the hope drive will improve.
Old 12th Sep 2021, 5:57 pm   #10
stevehertz
Dekatron

Yep, seems take-up is weak somewhere along the line. Otherwise - obvious though it may seem - try different tapes as some (with age) may have gotten stiff mechanisms and this together with the weak t/u drive will be a recipe for the fault you describe.
Old 12th Sep 2021, 6:42 pm   #11
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

The clutch is the copper-coloured thing with the white felty bit sitting on top.

You should be able to adjust it in-situ, without any further dismantling (as far as I can see).
Old 13th Sep 2021, 10:07 am   #12
jmcilkley
Tetrode

The copper bit rotates with the spindle so I don't think it is the clutch. It also looks nothing like the picture of the clutch I posted before. I guess that was a view from the back of the clutch unit with a circlip to hold the spindle shaft in place.
I can't see how I can adjust the clutch from this side. There is a white plastic drive wheel below the spindle which is rather discoloured and there is rubber around which I have now cleaned and was definitely in need of it. Is the part of the take-up system?
Old 13th Sep 2021, 10:22 am   #13
TIMTAPE
Octode

As I recall the copper looking circular part sits on the black base which has stepped heights moulded into it around the perimeter for various discrete tension adjustments. You should see the stepped sections.

But below and a little to the right of the take up platter (as in your photo) is a white plastic idler wheel with a black rubber tyre. I would first carefully clean and perhaps even roughen that tyre in situ if possible. Likely it is dirty and has gone somewhat hard over the years, losing traction. Also clean the surfaces it runs against. Normally this improves the take up drive and only fails when the tyre rubber has gone very hard and needs replacement.

Sometimes a small square section belt (still available) can be used to replace the tyre. Much easier to replace it after removing the wheel from the mech.
Old 3rd Oct 2021, 5:56 pm   #14
jmcilkley
Tetrode

Thanks for all suggestions. Cleaning that plastic wheel had the desired effect. I was quite dirty and possibly a little oil on it. I think someone had previously tried to fix the deck by spraying wd40 over everything and I thought I had already cleaned it all off but some must have sneaked behind that cover plate!
Closed Thread