UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 13th Sep 2021, 10:33 pm   #81
BillDWVA
Pentode

Default Re: Vortexion WVB smoking component..

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevie23 View Post
It's starting to look good. The next thing I need to look at is how to reglue the glass to the meter. It's come loose.
The glass can be carefully bonded back into the bezel using a slow-cure epoxy like Araldite. You’ll need to take the meter out of the plate and dismantle it first to do the job though. Done carefully it’ll look perfect once re-bonded.

Bill
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	015256B1-67B0-4A65-9655-DE9604D307E0.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	84.9 KB
ID:	241232  
Old 15th Sep 2021, 7:51 am   #82
stevie23
Pentode

Quote:
You’ll need to take the meter out of the plate and dismantle it first to do the job
Thanks Bill. Can you tell me the best way to get the meter unit out of the front panel?
Thanks,
Steve.
Old 15th Sep 2021, 7:33 pm   #83
kehall1
Diode

... just to mention I've also found clear silicone like Dow Corning 732 can be good for fixing glass to metal, it's slow curing, tacky and has mechanical cushioning properties too when cured...

Silicone holds fish tanks together, so it's pretty secure as well

I've used blobs in corners where it's out of sight but not sure how well it'd work in your case.
Old 18th Sep 2021, 7:06 pm   #84
BillDWVA
Pentode

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevie23 View Post
Quote:
You’ll need to take the meter out of the plate and dismantle it first to do the job
Thanks Bill. Can you tell me the best way to get the meter unit out of the front panel?
Thanks,
Steve.
Hi Steve, undo the panel and carefully disconnect the wiring - the whole tag strip should come away if the terminal nuts are undone. There are four small BA nuts to undo and the Sifam meter should come free. The bezel is held on by very small brass screws from what I can remember. When reassembling make sure the pointer is not fouling the glass or the faceplate since it’s very easy to catch it and bend it.
Bill
Closed Thread