UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 8th Aug 2021, 11:50 am   #21
stevie23
Pentode

Default Re: Vortexion WVB smoking component..

Yeah this is a good point. I think maybe the "Series" designation is for the later models with "Mk ii, Mk ii, ..." pointing to earlier models. I'm not entirely sure though... I've desoldered the blue ripple/reservoir cap (32uF) and measured it with both my VC97 multimeter (it shows overload) and on the chinese ESR meter measures 32pF! I've got another on order from Cricklewood.
Old 19th Aug 2021, 8:27 pm   #22
stevie23
Pentode

2 x new 32uF double capacitors have replaced the old ones. The machine now turns on and the amplifier works!!
Now I am finding a fault with the deck. FFWD and RWD are working OK however, Play doesn't. The solenoid engages but the capstan motor does not start so there is no capstan motor spinning. Upon inspection it looks fine though. Blast!! Its a 3 speed deck. Anyone else have a 3 speed Vortexion WVB? or WVA, CBL or WVC for that matter?
Old 20th Aug 2021, 10:03 am   #23
stevie23
Pentode

Here are some pics of the deck capstan motor and flywheel setup. Notice there are 3 metal brackets ? They seem to be associated with the speed selector (well, this seems logical) They all have a spring each dangling from a small hole on each although they are not attached to anything else... Also, should the capstan motor have a belt to the flywheel? I wouldnt have thought so but I cant see an idler from the motor to the capstan....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210820_094818.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	57.6 KB
ID:	239699   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210820_094841.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	44.2 KB
ID:	239700   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210820_094914.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	45.5 KB
ID:	239701   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210820_094924.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	50.2 KB
ID:	239702  

Last edited by stevie23; 20th Aug 2021 at 10:24 am.
Old 20th Aug 2021, 6:25 pm   #24
Analogue man
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevie23 View Post
Here are some pics of the deck capstan motor and flywheel setup. Notice there are 3 metal brackets ? They seem to be associated with the speed selector (well, this seems logical) They all have a spring each dangling from a small hole on each although they are not attached to anything else... Also, should the capstan motor have a belt to the flywheel? I wouldnt have thought so but I cant see an idler from the motor to the capstan....
There should not be a belt as these pulleys are what drives the flywheel and as you surmise these are used to select the speed, with one moving to interact between the motor spindle and the flywheel when play, record, or either fast wind is engaged. The springs should be attached so as to pull the pulleys towards the flywheel when the tape movement is required the mechanism holding the pulleys off when not required.
Old 20th Aug 2021, 7:03 pm   #25
Ted Kendall
Dekatron

There should be three idlers, one for each speed. Have a grope round the back of the flywheel if you can't see them - they obviously should sit between the capstan motor shaft and the flywheel. Unless, that is, some has been in there before you and removed them to flog as replacements for the Series Seven Ferrograph, whose polyurethane idlers turned to goo...
Old 21st Aug 2021, 12:03 am   #26
DMcMahon
Dekatron

Yes the photos in Post 23 do look somewhat similar to the Ferrograph Series 7 idlers.

Posts 64 & 116 show the Ferrograph idler wheels -

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...d.php?t=163381

David
Old 21st Aug 2021, 12:09 am   #27
stevie23
Pentode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Kendall View Post
There should be three idlers, one for each speed. Have a grope round the back of the flywheel if you can't see them - they obviously should sit between the capstan motor shaft and the flywheel. Unless, that is, some has been in there before you and removed them to flog as replacements for the Series Seven Ferrograph, whose polyurethane idlers turned to goo...
UGH god YES it appears that is what has happened. I dont see them or can feel them and that explains the dangling springs!! Someone has had them out!! Where do I get replacements
Old 21st Aug 2021, 12:18 am   #28
Ted Kendall
Dekatron

On eBay, probably - Terry, of rubber roller fame, is ailing at the moment, and in any case he refurbishes existing cores, which you don't have.
Old 21st Aug 2021, 12:19 am   #29
DMcMahon
Dekatron

I do not know if they are the same as Ferrograph Series 7 idlers but if they are you can get a set of 3 (used) Series 3-7 idlers on eBay.

David
Old 21st Aug 2021, 8:09 am   #30
Ted Kendall
Dekatron

That's the whole point - the idler size didn't change from Series 6 to Series 7, but the material did. Polyuethane was hailed as a wonder material for idlers and pinch rollers at the time, and Ferrograph latched on to it in their attempt to come up to date, and suffered severe reputational damage as the idlers tyrned to mush. Between this fiasco and sticky shed, duff polyurethane has caused tape users a lot of trouble.
Old 21st Aug 2021, 9:06 am   #31
terry123
Pentode

plenty of good used ones on ebay at the moment, no connection to me just signposting

Terry
Old 21st Aug 2021, 10:21 am   #32
stevie23
Pentode

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry123 View Post
plenty of good used ones on ebay at the moment, no connection to me just signposting

Terry
Hello Terry. Yes, I only just emailed you before I read the new posts... I'd like to wring this geezers neck.
I see 2 ebay entries for idlers. One has the levers on them and the other is just for 3 wheels. My machine needs more than just the wheels. I dont know what to do.
Old 21st Aug 2021, 11:07 am   #33
Ted Kendall
Dekatron

Buy the assembly, I would. If you have bits left over, so be it.
Old 21st Aug 2021, 11:30 am   #34
stevie23
Pentode

Quote:
Buy the assembly, I would. If you have bits left over, so be it.
Where have you seen an assembly for sale? Ebay?
Old 21st Aug 2021, 5:41 pm   #35
DMcMahon
Dekatron

Quote:
That's the whole point - the idler size didn't change from Series 6 to Series 7, but the material did. Polyuethane was hailed as a wonder material for idlers and pinch rollers at the time, and Ferrograph latched on to it in their attempt to come up to date, and suffered severe reputational damage as the idlers tyrned to mush. Between this fiasco and sticky shed, duff polyurethane has caused tape users a lot of trouble.
Yes the ones being sold as a set of 3 idlers are stated to be Ferrograph Series 5 i.e. the original good rubber material and compatible with all idlers for series 3 to 7, what I was unsure about is the compatibility with the Vortexions which I have no experience of.

David
Old 21st Aug 2021, 5:45 pm   #36
DMcMahon
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevie23 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by terry123 View Post

Terry
I see 2 ebay entries for idlers. One has the levers on them and the other is just for 3 wheels. My machine needs more than just the wheels. I dont know what to do.
So are your levers also missing ?

David
Old 21st Aug 2021, 8:34 pm   #37
stevie23
Pentode

Yeah it looks like it. See the pictures? The 3 springs should attach to them.
Old 21st Aug 2021, 8:46 pm   #38
DMcMahon
Dekatron

I did look at the photos but without looking at my Ferrograph to remind me exactly where the levers fit, was not sure if yours are missing.

David
Old 21st Aug 2021, 9:53 pm   #39
Analogue man
Hexode

Get the whole lot carriers and all as I think that your carriers are missing, Ferrograph ones will fit the Vortexion as they are one and the same deck. The only thing to be aware of is that the earlier Ferrograph decks were only two speed so be sure you are getting three idlers and not two although two would be a start.
Old 21st Aug 2021, 11:06 pm   #40
DMcMahon
Dekatron

Some Ferrograph Series 7 photos showing the levers/carriers, cannot easily match up the hardware to your photos.

David
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210821_214521512.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	103.2 KB
ID:	239814   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210821_214447434.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	136.8 KB
ID:	239815   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210821_214530903.jpg