UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 22nd Aug 2021, 8:36 pm   #1
Peterdee
Triode

Default BARLOT T S F restoration hope.

Hi
I've just been given a vintage domestic French radio, labelled "BARLOT T S F" I have searched for it on internet but can only find TSF radios. What I would like to do is have a go at restoring it, but have come unstuck at the first hurdle - getting the knobs off! The screws on two of them are rusted in that I can't shift them, any suggestions to loosen rusty screws would be appreciated, WD40?
Also, as I proceed (hopefully) advice on where I can get more info on this radio, voltage for instance, I don't want to connect it to our 240v mains, if the voltages in France in the 1930's were less than that. Lovely big valves, which could be a problem to replace though if needed.
So, that's the situation so far, any help greatly appreciated.
Regards
Peterdee G0JJI
Old 22nd Aug 2021, 8:46 pm   #2
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

Default Re: restoration hope

Could have been 220V then. WD may work and nothing to loose in trying it.
Old 22nd Aug 2021, 8:52 pm   #3
unitelex
Hexode

There is a lot that needs to be checked (from the safety perspective) before applying power so don't apply mains power, therefore no need to worry about the voltage at this point.
Sounds like you are going about it the right way though, investigating the internals and searching for service information.

Could you post some photos of the front and the back, with and without the back cover fitted it possible. Somebody here might recognise it.
Old 22nd Aug 2021, 8:53 pm   #4
Mr 1936
Heptode

Hi Peterdee.

TSF stands for Telegraphie Sans Fil, literally "telegraphy without wires" i.e. wireless.

Siezed grubscrew threads may respond to penetrating fluid, I have had good results from "Plus Gas" but do test a little on the plastic to make sure it isn't attacked (unlikely if it's bakelite). You may have to wait a few days for full effect as it soaks into the rust and weakens it. A good quality close fitting screwdriver is a help too.
Old 22nd Aug 2021, 11:06 pm   #5
emeritus
Dekatron

I believe that much of France was using 110V AC until well after WWII. 110V seems to have been the norm in the 1920's

If you can't find Plus Gas, petrol cigarette lighter fluid is almost as good. I believe that there is a WD40- brand of penetrating oil designed for this sort of job that is more penetrating than ordinary WD40.
Old 23rd Aug 2021, 9:50 am   #6
Peterdee
Triode

Hi all
Thanks for advice. I will try and get a photo of the set on here. I have soaked knobs in WD overnight, so will try to unscrew them shortly. I happen to have lighter fluid to hand, being a user of the Zippo, so will try that.
Peterdee
Old 23rd Aug 2021, 9:52 am   #7
Peterdee
Triode

PS
I also have a 115v transformer for a Heathkit tcvr, so will try that first when I get round to applying power.
Peterdee
Old 23rd Aug 2021, 10:14 am   #8
Station X

Default Re: BARLOT T S F restoration hope.

If you type "grub" into the Google search box at the top of this page you'll find several threads on how to remove rusted in screws.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 23rd Aug 2021, 11:57 am   #9
Peterdee
Triode

ok thanks for tip
Old 15th Sep 2021, 8:14 pm   #10
Peterdee
Triode

Thanks for all the help. I managed to get the knobs off with a little soaking in wd and lighter fluid, took one look inside and decided it was good only for spares, if I can find any! Valves might be worth a show on ebay though.
My next project is a Trio 59D rx which I have acquired, so next posting will be on the comm's section see you there.
regards
PeterDee
Closed Thread