UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 7th Aug 2021, 6:17 pm   #1
Hackerman
Diode

Default Grundig TK145 won't play

Hi All. I speak as a complete duffer when it comes to repairing vintage - or indeed modern - hi-fi equipment. I have a Grundig TK145 in very good cosmetic condition. The mechanism seems to click into place as it should when I press the play / pause / stop etc buttons, but the spindles don't turn and the tape refuses to budge. I've taken the top off and there are two belts visible, which seem to be in good condition. Is there anything simple that's a common fault, or do I need to call in someone who knows what they're doing? Thanks, Jon.
Old 7th Aug 2021, 7:11 pm   #2
DMcMahon
Dekatron

Default Re: Grundig TK145 won't play

Hello Jon and welcome to the Forum.

Is the recorder actually powering up ? there is a little lamp that illuminates the record level meter.

Is the capstan motor working/rotating ? You should see a little metal shaft (capstan shaft) rotating, this is the shaft that the tape is pressed against by the black/brown rubber pinch roller/wheel when Play is selected.

David
Old 7th Aug 2021, 7:22 pm   #3
DMcMahon
Dekatron

Depending upon which TK 145 you have, for instance TK 145L, TK 145 De-Luxe, TK 145 Automatic you may have a recording level meter or a magic eye recording level indicator valve (green display) or possibly no record level indicator. I think when there is no record level indicator as in the Automatic, the Automatic emblem will be illuminated by the same lamp that illuminates the record level meter as in the non automatic version.

David
Old 7th Aug 2021, 7:24 pm   #4
Cobaltblue

Does the TK145 have a record meter? pretty sure mine has a Magic eye.

Crossed.

Could be wrong need to dig it out to look.

Cheers

Mike T

Last edited by Cobaltblue; 7th Aug 2021 at 7:25 pm. Reason: Crossed with David
Old 7th Aug 2021, 7:32 pm   #5
DMcMahon
Dekatron

I think one version of the TK 145 de luxe does have VU meter.

David
Attached Files
File Type: docx TK 145.docx (947.8 KB, 50 views)
Old 8th Aug 2021, 10:04 am   #6
DMcMahon
Dekatron

Attached photo shows TK 120 which is somewhat similar to the TK 145.

The top of the thicker of the 2 drive belts goes around the small motor pulley, the bottom of the drive belt goes around the large metal flywheel, the capstan shaft is small shaft in the top middle of the flywheel. The flywheel will always be rotating when unit is powered up.

It is possible that this belt on yours is the thinner one of your 2. Your unit will also have a third belt underneath for the tape counter.

David
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TK 120.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	67.0 KB
ID:	239029  
Old 8th Aug 2021, 4:40 pm   #7
Hackerman
Diode

Thanks David, Mike. It's a 145 de luxe, without any recording meter. It powers up and the lamp comes on but the capstan doesn't move, regardless of whether I press play / rewind / FF. The layout looks very similar to the 120; I've attached a photo. Does that help?

Cheers,

Jon
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_7593.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	92.4 KB
ID:	239069  
Old 8th Aug 2021, 11:14 pm   #8
DMcMahon
Dekatron

As I said the motor should rotate/spin as soon as the unit is powered up, the motor is part of the mains transformer assembly, so the fact that it powers up/lights up should also mean that the motor should work.

You say that the capstan does not move, can you also confirm that the finned motor pulley does not move when the unit is powered up. With the unit unplugged from the mains supply try and see if you can manually turn the flywheel/motor pulley, it may be somewhat stiff but you should be able to rotate it.

There are 2 internal glass fuses (on rear panel I think) the 800mA fuse for the 240V mains supply to the mains transformer, so will be good otherwise the unit would be completely dead. The 80mA fuse for the transformer output to the bridge rectifier, the bridge rectifier produces the DC +HT supplies used by the electronics including the Magic Eye recording level valve, which I think is on the end of those wires at the bottom of your photo .

If you switch it to Record then the magic eye valve should light up green.

It is not impossible but unlikely I would say that the motor is dead, so it should be possible to get it going.

David
Old 8th Aug 2021, 11:28 pm   #9
DMcMahon
Dekatron

The 80mA fuse above may be 125mA.

David
Old 9th Aug 2021, 7:33 am   #10
Michael Maurice

The motor may be seized.

DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES REMOVE OR EVEN LOOSEN THE FOUR SCREWS HOLDING THE TOP PLATE TO THE CHASSIS.

http://www.michaelmauricerepairs.co.uk/
Old 9th Aug 2021, 9:26 am   #11
DMcMahon
Dekatron

These are the 4 screws identified at the bottom securing the metal top plate down.

David
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20210809_092014597.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	94.1 KB
ID:	239114  
Old 2nd Sep 2021, 3:35 pm   #12
Hackerman
Diode

Hello again. Sorry, got distracted by something else that doesn't work. The finned motor pulley doesn't move with the unit switched on, but it is possible to move it by hand when unplugged, though it's very stiff.
Old 2nd Sep 2021, 7:09 pm   #13
stevie23
Pentode

I repaired a TK146 recently. Similar design. The motor could need re aligning. There should be 6 screws in all securing the motor to the underside chassis. 4 at each corner and 2 vertically. It is possible to realign the motor by adjusting these carefully until you have free flow in either direction off the motor shaft.
Old 2nd Sep 2021, 7:15 pm   #14
DMcMahon
Dekatron

I know very well about getting distracted on other things

With the drive belt around the motor pulley it may be fairly stiff but not too difficult to manually rotate.

Try removing the belt from the motor pulley and then see if the motor pulley can be manually rotated more easily, the motor shaft may not spin but should be fairly easy to rotate. Also at this stage you could power up to see if the motor will rotate/spin when belt is not connected to the flywheel, also make sure that flywheel will easily manually rotate.

Warning When you lift the belt off the pulley and if you then let go of it there is a very good chance that the belt will come out of the belt groove in the capstan flywheel, if it does it then it can be a lot of serious fun (patience testing) trying to get the belt back around the flywheel.

So either do not let go of the belt and apply tension on the belt by pulling it away from the flywheel to stop the belt coming out of the groove or stick several bits of sticky tape around the flywheel (before belt is removed from the pulley) to hold the belt in place.

David
Old 3rd Sep 2021, 1:51 pm   #15
Chris55000
Nonode

Hi!

Quote:
DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES REMOVE OR EVEN LOOSEN THE FOUR SCREWS HOLDING THE TOP PLATE TO THE CHASSIS.
What was the reason for this stern instruction, given in the original S.M?

Chris Williams
Old 3rd Sep 2021, 3:39 pm   #16
DMcMahon
Dekatron

Various pieces of the deck fit into the top plate, some being spring loaded so when the top plate is removed you end up with a bit of a mess of parts, which can be very difficult to get refitted and aligned correctly.

I have done it twice intentionally when doing a major strip, if you know what you are doing then it is not too bad but for a novice would be very challenging.

David
Old 7th Sep 2021, 3:39 pm   #17
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

Not too bad to do if you have three hands, otherwise getting the belt up via the lower bearing plate, though it seems difficult, is a breeze in comparison!
Old 14th Sep 2021, 12:36 pm   #18
Hackerman
Diode

Ha, thank you everyone, I'll have another go.
Closed Thread