UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 9th Sep 2021, 1:40 pm   #21
TIMTAPE
Octode

Default Re: Uher 4200 Report monitor, recording problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinT2081 View Post

The side of the tape facing heads is in a darker colour than the other side.
That's only correct for a very small number of tapes. Nearly always the blackish side faces away from the heads. The brownish (oxide) side faces the heads.
For many of use who have worked with tape over the decades this is basic knowledge.

If the tape is wound onto the reel as you described, just put a 180 deg twist in it before the headblock so it's correct at the heads.

Also black backcoated tape often has problems which lead to sticking and clogged tape heads. Threading the tape correctly may now lead to fouling the heads.

Last edited by TIMTAPE; 9th Sep 2021 at 1:48 pm.
Old 9th Sep 2021, 2:01 pm   #22
DMcMahon
Dekatron

Tapes do deteriorate with age but normally not to the extent that they will not record reasonably well.

It tape was back to front you might still hear the recording but to a much lower volume level.

Tape colours etc can vary from brand/type but typically on a standard non back coated tape the playing side (the side that contacts the heads) is a dull brown and the reverse side is a shiny/reflective brown, sometimes difficult to say which is darker but the playing side I would say can look a little darker.

On a back coated tape the playing side is a matt somewhat dark brown (dark compared to a non back coated tape) and some what reflective/shiny and the reverse side is dull and very dark often looks like black, the back side also is a little rough to touch.

David
Old 10th Sep 2021, 10:51 am   #23
KevinT2081
Triode

Oh, no! How stupid. The only thing I forgot to check is the side of the tapes. This is my first-time use reel to reel. despite have done some research online. The wrong side tape came with the machine, The wrong side facing heads is dark and dim in black color. The data side is reflective brown.

Anyway, I am so sorry for the confusion and I really learned a lesson here, thank you all for your kind and knowledgeable replies.

Kind regards
Kevin

Last edited by KevinT2081; 10th Sep 2021 at 11:14 am.
Old 10th Sep 2021, 11:08 am   #24
KevinT2081
Triode

By the way. I want to share here that I found a mistake in the service manual. The transistors T51 and T52 on the diagram of 1-199 are different types, but with identical names (BC327-25). Actually, T51 is BC337-25, please note this.
Old 10th Sep 2021, 11:34 am   #25
TIMTAPE
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinT2081 View Post
This is my first-time use reel to reel...
It would have helped if you had supplied this information in your first post.

The complete absence of tape hiss in playback (which we get with a flipped tape) is a giveaway that something is wrong, but you said that playback was fine.

Regardless, computer tape, audio tape, video tape, open reel, cassette, analog or digital, one side, the oxide side, must face the heads.

Last edited by TIMTAPE; 10th Sep 2021 at 11:50 am.
Old 10th Sep 2021, 12:13 pm   #26
DMcMahon
Dekatron

So is recording now working OK ?

David
Old 11th Sep 2021, 5:23 am   #27
KevinT2081
Triode

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMcMahon View Post
So is recording now working OK ?

David
Thanks! Yes, it works. Only needs some adjustment. Kevin
Old 13th Sep 2021, 4:51 pm   #28
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

Glad you got it going.
Re post #20, there is no such thing as a 'read-only' tape as i'm sure we've all found out to our cost! That's why we always suggest that when assessing a recorder for playing a valuable recording to use a tape of little value first. Then if it gets erased by a fault or a mistake it's not tragic.
Of course cassettes and subsequent formats all had accidental record prevention devices.
Old 14th Sep 2021, 2:58 am   #29
KevinT2081
Triode

Yes, that's true, thank you for suggesting checking the front and back of the tapes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welsh Anorak View Post
Glad you got it going.
Re post #20, there is no such thing as a 'read-only' tape as i'm sure we've all found out to our cost! That's why we always suggest that when assessing a recorder for playing a valuable recording to use a tape of little value first. Then if it gets erased by a fault or a mistake it's not tragic.
Of course cassettes and subsequent formats all had accidental record prevention devices.
Closed Thread