UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Other Discussions > Homebrew Equipment

Notices

Homebrew Equipment A place to show, design and discuss the weird and wonderful electronic creations from the hands of individual members.

Closed Thread

Old 31st Oct 2017, 5:52 pm   #1
Biggles
Rest in Peace

Default DF equipment.

Not sure whether this should go in the info wanted section instead, but here goes. Ages ago I saw a circuit in Radcom which detailed a simple circuit for direction finding on VHF which used two carefully spaced dipoles and two switched dual gate mosfets which fed a receiver of your choice. I think the dipoles were moved about azimuth wise until the background buzzing sound was nulled out, to give the received signal direction. Presumably there was slight phase difference if the dipoles weren't aligned with the signal direction. I was going to build a one a long time ago, but the fets were P type. They proved to be unobtainium so I gave up. I suppose I could have re-engineered the circuit to use N types but never did. The question is, has anyone got a relatively simple DF circuit they could share? as I fancy building one again. Using a separate receiver isn't a problem. Cheers.
Alan.
Old 31st Oct 2017, 6:07 pm   #2
Al (astral highway)
Dekatron

Default Re: DF equipment.

Hey Alan,

Have you seen this ingenious circuit? It uses PIN diodes.

Simples!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DF circuit.png
Views:	412
Size:	4.4 KB
ID:	151638  
Old 31st Oct 2017, 7:50 pm   #3
Biggles
Rest in Peace

Cheers Al. That looks like it works on the same principle as the one I saw. It's a bit simpler though. I sense a project coming on...
Alan.
Old 31st Oct 2017, 8:09 pm   #4
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

There was a VHF DF system by Datong in the 80s that used *four* antennas in a square [usually magmounted 1/4-wave whips on a car roof] and PIN diodes to provide the commutation.

See https://sites.google.com/site/datongarchive2/dopplerdf for more details. Includes circuit-diagrams . .

Datong no longer sell to the amateur market, but in the 70s and 80s they offered some rather good stuff!

Have a look here too: https://a43.veron.nl/projecten/doppl...on-finder-rdf/

Last edited by G6Tanuki; 31st Oct 2017 at 8:26 pm.
Old 31st Oct 2017, 9:39 pm   #5
AC/HL
Dekatron

Sounds like a modern implementation of the 1919 Adcock antenna
Old 31st Oct 2017, 10:56 pm   #6
ex seismic
Heptode

Also have a look here: http://www.homingin.com/newdopant.html

Gordon
Old 1st Nov 2017, 8:15 am   #7
Radio Wrangler

I think the Datong direction finder was a doppler type.

Have an array of antennae in a circle, switch the receiver from one to the next to simulate a single antenna moving in a circle at say 1000 revs per second.

Use an FM receiver.

Antenna 'motion' and the doppler effect puts FM on the incoming signal. The FM receiver demodulates this to give an audio tone. Compare the phase of the 1kHz audio with the phase of the antenna 'rotation' and you get the bearing of the incoming signal. Simples!

There was a good construction article in the American 'Ham Radio' magazine in the '80s. He had 8 whips in a circle on a roof rack of a car. One memorable photo in the article had the caption that this was the array on the roof of the Ford Mustang he wrote-off by paying too much attention to the direction finder display :-(

David
Old 1st Nov 2017, 4:44 pm   #8
KeithsTV
Nonode

I remember that article as I was contemplating building it back in the early 80s but never got round to it.

I've attached a copy of the article which is a scanned copy of a photocopy. It includes a few of my notes written on the circuit diagram.

I suspect this type of system is used by the "Tracker" used by the police to locate stolen cars. The Tracker system appears to use 4 quarter wave aerials on the roof of the police car.

Keith
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Dopplescant.PDF (582.3 KB, 725 views)
Old 1st Nov 2017, 8:00 pm   #9
Biggles
Rest in Peace

Some good articles there. If I can source the old chips I may have a go at building a full blown one. In the meantime I could play around with the front end switching using PIN diodes as a starting point to see if I can get any usable results. Thanks for the input.
Alan.
Old 1st Nov 2017, 9:03 pm   #10
Tyso_Bl
Hexode

The setup you mention sounds like the "happy fliers" unit described in Transmitter Hunting: Radio Direction Finding Simplified by Joseph D Moell, an old book now but a good read.

I built the Roanoke doppler unit from the circuit in the book soon after it was published.
Old 1st Nov 2017, 10:06 pm   #11
Radio Wrangler

It was a useful tool for squeaky hunting. You could get a fix from even a short blip. The difficulty came with multipath and concrete canyons.

David