UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 18th Feb 2019, 5:34 pm   #1
Bazz4CQJ
Dekatron

Default Role of 1uF Caps on HT secondary taps

I've been doing some capacitor changing on the oscillator and amplifier boards of my VCM163, and a little bit of "mission creep" is threatening to take hold.

Attached is the circuit diagram of the multi-tapped HT winding which supplies the anode voltage in the 163. Capacitors C1-4 are wired across the taps at ~100V intervals, have values of 1uF and working voltages of 400VDC.

Can someone enlighten me as what those caps do? I don't recall seeing this arrangement previously and Mr Google has not yet offered an answer.

Although both the circuit diagram and the parts list specify those caps at 400VDC, the ones actually in place are rated at 250VDC, being Hunts Type M312 (quite small and flat with a green plastic outer wrapper).

Thanks in advance.

B
Attached Files
File Type: doc caps.doc (117.5 KB, 120 views)
Old 18th Feb 2019, 5:36 pm   #2
G8HQP Dave
Rest in Peace

Default Re: Role of 1uF Caps on HT secondary taps

Switch arc suppression?
Old 18th Feb 2019, 6:10 pm   #3
Radio Wrangler

Rather big capacitance for suppression.

Looks almost like someone's resonating the transformer to fix manky mains waveforms.

Power factor correction

David
Old 18th Feb 2019, 6:13 pm   #4
Bazz4CQJ
Dekatron

Arc suppression seems very plausible Dave, but if they are there for that alone would you expect them to be as big as 1uF?

The 163 depends on having a nice sinewave (or half a sinewave to be precise) going in to the valves. Could those caps have anything to do with that, helping avoid flat tops for example?

B

Wrangler and my last post overlap in time.
Old 18th Feb 2019, 6:24 pm   #5
Bazz4CQJ
Dekatron

So, if there is a role in power factor correction, three thoughts occur to me;
  1. failure of any of those caps by shorting could be seriously bad news for the transformer
  2. Deterioration of those caps in any other way could adversely affect the performance of the tester.
  3. The manual specs them at 400VDC, but they are actually 250, and made by Hunts, whose reputation was not the best.

Case for changing them for something of good quality?

B
Old 18th Feb 2019, 6:38 pm   #6
m0cemdave
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazz4CQJ View Post
Although both the circuit diagram and the parts list specify those caps at 400VDC, the ones actually in place are rated at 250VDC, being Hunts Type M312 (quite small and flat with a green plastic outer wrapper)
The 250V M312 (polyester) capacitors were rated at 100V AC, so just about OK between 100V taps.
Old 18th Feb 2019, 7:06 pm   #7
Bazz4CQJ
Dekatron

Mmm...I note the word "just" and that was as rated 50 years ago. All the covers are already off the 163 and the amp PCB is out so there's access, and its winter so I have the time and 400VDC Y Class caps are not expensive, but a replacement transformer would cost....

Maybe I should start a Poll

B
Old 19th Feb 2019, 10:10 am   #8
Ed_Dinning
Dekatron

Hi Bazz, Y class caps at 1uF will be very expensive. They are difficult to find above 4n7.
X calss caps should do as rated for at least 250 or 440 (depending on type) working.
Mode of failure is to gradually reduce in capacitance over time. They are easily available to 2u2.
They could be being used to improve PF by resonating with the primary magnetising current. There is an article in the RSGB handbook power supply section that explains how values are calculated.

Ed
Old 19th Feb 2019, 1:17 pm   #9
saddlestone-man
Hexode

This looks similar to the constant voltage transformer arrangement used in my Advance CM1 Q meter. If you google 'constant voltage transformer' you'll see how they work. The theory seems to suggest that the resonant winding is separate from the ones used to produce HT, etc but maybe you can put a load on it.

When Advance stopped making test gear they concentrated on the cvt business and presumably made a good living out of it.

Best regards. Stef.
Old 19th Feb 2019, 5:01 pm   #10
boxdoctor
Rest in Peace

For what little it costs, Bazz, I would replace them with 400 or 630Volt polyester types, (not class X) and then you can relax, knowing that the mains transformer is not going to be frazzled by one of them going S/C.
It's certainly an unusual circuit arrangement, - almost worthy of Philips ! Tony.
Old 19th Feb 2019, 7:00 pm   #11
Bazz4CQJ
Dekatron

Thank you for those inputs. I’ll have a look at my old RSGB Handbook and see what that says. In terms of stabilising the HT, of course, the 163 does not have any stabilising circuit like a gas-filled tube, so again, anything those caps can do to keep the HT flowing consistently is a plus.

The reference to Y caps was a senior moment; I’ve actually now ordered some polypropylene X2 caps rated at 310VAC.

While I’ve left my days as a “mass-recapper” behind, this is the first time I’ve ever had both the oscillator pcb and the amplifier pcb out of the unit (a number of the small electrolytics on those boards had gone virtually open circuit). While I’ve got access to C1-4, I think I should replace them now and so the 163 should be good for another 50+ years… and could well be someone else’s problem by then .

B
Old 19th Feb 2019, 7:10 pm   #12
Electronpusher0
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by saddlestone-man View Post
This looks similar to the constant voltage transformer arrangement used in my Advance CM1 Q meter. If you google 'constant voltage transformer' you'll see how they work. The theory seems to suggest that the resonant winding is separate from the ones used to produce HT, etc but maybe you can put a load on it.
Constant Voltage Transformers have a separate resonant winding and a magnetic shunt, usually just some "I" laminations shoved between the bobbin and the outer laminations. See here
http://www.aelgroup.co.uk/faq/faq001.php

Peter
Old 20th Feb 2019, 11:03 am   #13
Ed_Dinning
Dekatron

Hi Bazz, yes X2's should be fine, with the advantage that a failure of the cap is self isolating and only reduces it's value.
Polyester can fail S/c, admittedly unlikely but easily avoided

Ed
Old 20th Feb 2019, 11:41 am   #14
Maarten
Dekatron

Unlike Y-class capacitors, X-class capacitors (polyester, polypropylene or paper) may also fail short circuit, though especially the cheaper ones are indeed prone to opening up before they would ever get a chance of shorting out. In places like this, it's probably best to use a somewhat overdimensioned polypropylene type, X2 or otherwise. 310VAC caps will indeed be fine.
Old 26th Feb 2019, 5:36 pm   #15
John_BS
Octode

I suspect the role of those 1uF caps might be to reduce the HF source impedance of the transformer: AVO may have found the odd valve which would take off due to an inductive anode load.

Alternatively, they act as a LPF, untilising the leakage L of the transformer. This would remove any large HF mains spikes which might upset things.

John
Old 26th Feb 2019, 10:04 pm   #16
Bazz4CQJ
Dekatron

Thanks for the suggestions John. Those caps may well have fulfilled a number of roles, but no doubt they eliminated at least one problem they were seeing in development.

B