UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Other Discussions > Homebrew Equipment

Notices

Homebrew Equipment A place to show, design and discuss the weird and wonderful electronic creations from the hands of individual members.

Closed Thread

Old 22nd Mar 2016, 10:09 am   #1
PsychMan
Octode

Default 1 deck, 2 preamps?

This isn't really a vintage question, but Im wondering if anyone could advise all the same. I suppose it could also apply to a more eccentric vinyl setup

Im looking at how I can connect a turntable signal to 2 preamps to send the signal both into a computer and a mixer at the same time. This is for DJ use, and to enable something known as timecoded vinyl, whilst retaining a traditional setup of 2 decks and a mixer. Im more comfortable doing this with a line level signal, but I want to use the phono preamp built into the mixer.

Cartridges in question are MMs (Shure M44-7). I wondered if a simple buffer amp operating in unity gain would be advisable between the signal and one of the preamps so as to not load the signal too much?
Old 22nd Mar 2016, 10:42 am   #2
Radio Wrangler

Default Re: 1 deck, 2 preamps?

Don't split the signal at the cartridge output level. It's too low and you'll have trouble with hum, also the cartridge borks best into a controlled impedance.

Go from the cartridge into one of the phono preamp converter boxes, set for moving magnet (not moving coil 'MC') and it should have enough output to drive both the computer audio input and a flat input on your preamp.

If youmust use the phono preamp in the mixer, you'll need to get an output from the phono RIAA stage output before the mixer does anything else to it.

David
Old 22nd Mar 2016, 12:01 pm   #3

Use the tape out socket of the preamp (if it has one) for the computer.

Old 22nd Mar 2016, 12:11 pm   #4
PsychMan
Octode

Thanks for the input guys, I shall have to have a think.

Radiowrangler's comments have confirmed my fears of splitting such a small signal. I will see if I can add an output connection to the mixers RIAA stage, this would also be the neatest solution and cheap to achieve.

The issue with using external amps is the mixer is 2 channel, but each channel can have a switchable line or phono level source. So I couldn't physically run 4 line level signals into it (I.E regular turntable plus digitised source x 2), but I could send 2 line level signals and 2 phono signals.
Old 22nd Mar 2016, 12:23 pm   #5
IanBland
Hexode

You could construct a simple non-inverting unity gain buffer with a dual op-amp if you don't mind constructing one. Then split the signal from that, i.e. just have dual outputs paralleled on your buffer box. Or be really flash, use a quad op-amp, and have separate buffers to each output channel. The current would be low enough to comfortably run off a PP3.

Last edited by IanBland; 22nd Mar 2016 at 12:33 pm.
Old 22nd Mar 2016, 3:47 pm   #6
jamesperrett
Octode

What mixer are you using? There may be a way to split the signal after the preamps. Otherwise you could use external RIAA preamps into the line inputs on the mixer and the computer.
Old 22nd Mar 2016, 3:57 pm   #7
PsychMan
Octode

Its a Gemini PS540, around 12 years old or so. I will need to open it up and clean all the controls soon anyway so will take a look.

The one concern with this is when switching to line level, whether the mixer keeps the RIAA element operating at the same time. I would expect it does, but not certain.

The line level comes from the computer, but the computer needs the phono signal with the control record to function and control what it is doing for cueing and pitch adjustment. So while the mixer is only working with the line input in terms of the audio it is mixing, it still needs to perform the preamp function, if that makes sense? Apologies if not, its made my head spin a little thinking about it!!

EDIT: I would need to use the phono preamps in the mixer, because I can only have 1 phono or 1 line (switchable per channel). So the theory is I can use line level when using the computer software, or switch to phono and use the decks and mixer as originally intended.
Old 22nd Mar 2016, 4:30 pm   #8
cmjones01
Nonode

Having looked at the mixer's instruction manual on line, it doesn't seem to have any way of getting the output from the preamp other than through the usual output, which is of course affected by the faders and so on. You'll have to hack into the mixer to do what you want.

The good news is that the mixer will almost certainly keep the RIAA stage operating even when that input is switched to 'line'. You might even find that the preamp output is available at the pins of the line/phono switch, which would make it very easy to find and bring out to the PC.

Chris
Old 22nd Mar 2016, 4:39 pm   #9
PsychMan
Octode

Thanks Chris, yeah the mixer has 2 line level outputs, Master and Record out, and no way externally of getting to the individual signals. Sounds like a great excuse to have a muck about with it!

Hopefully as you suggest the signal will be easy to find, and I can add some opamps and phono sockets to give me a line out for each channel
Old 22nd Mar 2016, 4:56 pm   #10
nigelr2000
Heptode

I modified a KAM mixer recently to make a 4 channel mike mixer, it's similar to the Gemini and the phono input went through an extra op amp with RIAA then to the line/phono switch before going to the mixer stage input so you could lift a signal off the input to the switch as the phono stage stays live in both positions.
Old 22nd Mar 2016, 5:35 pm   #11
dseymo1
Retired Dormant Member

Does your mixer have FX send/return sockets?
If so, you could use those for the computer feed.
Old 22nd Mar 2016, 5:50 pm   #12
Scimitar
Heptode

I use a phono buffer that also has a USB output for the computer. Wasn't very expensive. It connects after the pre-amp and before the power amplifier.
Old 22nd Mar 2016, 5:54 pm   #13
Scimitar
Heptode

Behringer UCA202 U-Control Ultra low-latency 2 In/2 Out USB/Audio Interface

Cost me £23.00
Old 22nd Mar 2016, 9:39 pm   #14
IanBland
Hexode

I've got one of them. Pretty handy bit of kit for the price.
Old 23rd Mar 2016, 4:08 pm   #15
PsychMan
Octode

No effects loops to use unfortunately.

I had a look inside yesterday, there seems to be ample space to drill the chassis and add some surface mount phono sockets.

I found a black ribbon wire cable going to the switches with 6 wires, Im guessing 2 channels plus 1 ground for each source. shouldnt take too much to identify which channel is which

The PSU may be a little trickier for me to work out, as I'd like to steal a tiny amount of current for 2 dual op amps to operate in unity gain to provide my line outputs. With no labelling or documentation I may have to dig around a bit. Depending what voltages I get from the power supply, I suppose I could either take a dual supply (if present) and use that as is (if within spec). Or just take one positive supply and get a dual supply with a few resistors.
Old 24th Mar 2016, 7:24 am   #16
Diabolical Artificer
Dekatron

Should think they'll be a dual supply for the balanced/mic ins, that's assuming your mixer uses op amps instead of tfmr's. BTW, could you not use a small tfmr to split the signal? I know one would be out of phase with the other, but can be swopped back with a op amp.

Andy.
Old 31st Mar 2016, 2:58 pm   #17
PsychMan
Octode

Well I identified a line level signal for each deck on 3 pin connectors. L and R with ground in the middle, nice and logical.

But upon testing it, the output works fine when the mixer is set to phono for that channel. When it's switched to line however, the right channel drops out and the sound in the left gets very quiet. Any idea why this might be? At this stage I haven't used any op amps, I just wanted to see how it worked without.

I've presented the outputs on 2 mini stereo jack sockets, and these have come straight off the ribbon cable that runs from the "Input board", to the signal select switch. As far as I can tell I have the correct inputs and they sound great when source is set to phono, sadly not much use for me. Perhaps this mixers design doesn't make it suitable?

In the end I did this to a Gemini 626 pro, as my 540i has another fault. Service data for this is poor and detail impossible to see when zoomed in
Old 6th Jun 2016, 2:11 pm   #18
PsychMan
Octode

Well, I managed to get a decent schematic for the mixer, and I can see why the phono output stops when line level input is selected.

The connector from the "in/out PCB" (containing RIAA stage) is a 6 pin connector. 2 pins for ground, 2 pins for Phono, and 2 pins for Line. The source selection switch appears to be a 4 pole switch and when switched to Line, it sends the output from each phono preamp channel to ground, and connects the line source to the inputs on the master mixer board (and vice versa when switching back)

Im wondering what exactly is the reason for grounding those outputs and why they couldn't simply remain disconnected?? I was thinking I could get round this if I were to add an op amp running in unity gain from the phono preamp, feed that to the main mixer board, and pinch my output before this device?

I've attached 2 images to demonstrate what I mean, 1 of the preamp section showing the connector pinout, and a 2nd part of the main PCB section showing how the switch is wired.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	In out.JPG
Views:	154
Size:	58.6 KB
ID:	125639   Click image for larger version

Name:	Main.JPG
Views:	116
Size:	39.5 KB
ID:	125640  
Old 7th Jun 2016, 7:41 am   #19
julie_m
Dekatron

It's probably done to prevent breakthrough of unwanted signals. You don't want faint traces of CD in the background while playing vinyl, or vice versa.
Old 7th Jun 2016, 11:03 am   #20
PsychMan
Octode

Thanks Julie, I suspected that but was afraid to suggest it incase I was talking rubbish. Its nice to hear it from someone as knowledgeable as yourself.

The switches are quite compact, and perhaps there isn't as much "insulation" as one might like? Or perhaps this is a problem due to a very densely populated PCB. It is after all a "budget" mixer. If I had a spare 800-1000 quid I'd invest in a Pioneer DJM 850

I've taken some of these same switches off a scrap mixer, I was thinking to add these somewhere on my mixer for consistency and to allow me to switch out the source BEFORE the Line / Phono switch and thus circumvent the shorting to ground.

But, if the switches themselves are an issue like this, I may have the same problem Gemini circumvented by shorting them. I'll have to do some experimenting before I start drilling out the case for more switches!
Closed Thread