UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items

Notices

Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items For discussions about other vintage (over 25 years old) electrical and electromechanical household items. See the sticky thread for details.

Closed Thread

Old 5th Jul 2017, 10:47 am   #1
Wishiknewmore
Hexode

Default Kiln, another impulsive buy

Hello
Just bought this small kiln a couple of weeks ago, for reasons not totally clear to me except it was cheap!
I have yet to try it but the continuity checks out on the element and no apparent short to the casing
Before I try it in earnest I would like to try and find a new connector, the current one seems to have been dropped and broken the ceramic
Anyone know what the correct name description for the plug/socket/connector so I have some chance of finding one
Not keen on actually opening this one up as I suspect there may a good chance it's stuffed with asbestos!
Any views, thoughts or suggestions always welcome
Philip
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0676.jpg
Views:	287
Size:	94.2 KB
ID:	145670   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0675.jpg
Views:	278
Size:	65.9 KB
ID:	145671   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0664.jpg
Views:	254
Size:	90.8 KB
ID:	145672   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0663.jpg
Views:	281
Size:	118.1 KB
ID:	145673   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0665.jpg
Views:	246
Size:	94.1 KB
ID:	145674  

Old 5th Jul 2017, 11:30 am   #2
Rubberfingers
Pentode

Default Re: Kiln, another impulsive buy

How is the kiln earthed, or isn't it?
Old 5th Jul 2017, 11:36 am   #3
Wishiknewmore
Hexode

It isn't!
Old 5th Jul 2017, 12:10 pm   #4
cashaw1972
Retired Dormant Member

We used kilns similar to that in our metalwork class at school. I remember one time removing an enamaled piece of copper and touching the un-earthed cabinet with it. It gave me a bite and threw me backwards onto the floor.

To add insult to injury, the metalwork teacher then marched across the room and gave me a clip round the ear for "messing about !"

So I think earthing this maybe a good idea ! Especially if there are any bad-tempered metalwork teachers in the vicinity.
Old 5th Jul 2017, 12:25 pm   #5
Herald1360
Dekatron

Build up the old one with fire cement or maybe exhaust putty?
.........O..Chris....O
Old 5th Jul 2017, 12:27 pm   #6
mark_in_manc
Octode

Hiya

Just thought I'd say that I have a potential use for such a small kiln (baking small investment casting shells and recovering the 'lost wax' used in the eponymous method) so if in the medium or long term you find you have no use, by all means get in touch. Alternatively I think jewellers may use this kind of small device, if you come to want to move it on.

cheers
Mark
Old 5th Jul 2017, 1:15 pm   #7
BulgingCap
Pentode

It must have been used for prototypes at the factory as it is so small. A quick look on Google shows that the pottery from this factory was/is very beautiful.
I'm sure I have seen this right-angled connector before but can't place it- maybe on a hotplate or soldering pre-heater somewhere.
BC
Old 5th Jul 2017, 1:42 pm   #8
ColinTheAmpMan1
Octode

It looks as if the connector on the back of the kiln only has two connecting pegs anyway. It reminds me a bit of the old kettle and electric iron connectors (before IEC; before the ones that look a bit Schuko-like and got pushed out if the kettle boiled dry).

Is the other end of that mains cable a standard three-pin plug?

Incidentally, from my schooldays experience, all metalwork teachers are bad-tempered. The most senior one at my school had the nickname "Killer". Having said that, when you proved yourself competent, he turned out to be a nice bloke.

Colin.
Old 5th Jul 2017, 2:23 pm   #9
Hampus
Pentode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wishiknewmore View Post
Before I try it in earnest I would like to try and find a new connector, the current one seems to have been dropped and broken the ceramic
Anyone know what the correct name description for the plug/socket/connector so I have some chance of finding one.
These connectors was very common in mainland europe, they exist in several variants: the whole connector of bakelite, often used for office equipment and other cold things. With a ceramic part for use with hot equipment. Both earthed and non-earthed model exists. If you want a earthed one I can offer one for the cost of shipping, I have a few of those in a drawer. I live in Sweden but I do not think the shipping cost will be high for such a small item.

The photos show the plug to my waffle iron.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	_20170705_151327.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	61.1 KB
ID:	145679   Click image for larger version

Name:	_20170705_151300.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	57.3 KB
ID:	145680  
Old 5th Jul 2017, 11:12 pm   #10
Herald1360
Dekatron

If you take the inside of the rear panel connector back to bare metal and smear it with silicon grease, that earthed connector should work, though for this application I'd still be inclined to fit a firmly screwed on separate earth lead as well.

A reasonable compromise would be to run the kiln via an RCD. Of course if it's already leaky, that would trip anyway if a separate earth is applied, but anything that leaky could only really be run safely on an isolating transformer which might well cost more than the kiln did!
.........O..Chris....O
Old 5th Jul 2017, 11:55 pm   #11
broadgage
Nonode

If it is only leaky initially, then it might be acceptable to run it without an earth connection for a few hours in order to heat up and dry out.
Do of course take great care not to touch it during drying out.

Once dry, it might work correctly earthed without tripping an RCD.

Take care in use, there is some risk of electric shock when using metal tools to manipulate items in the kiln whilst it is energised. Remember that many glass and ceramic materials that are good insulators at room temperature become semiconducting at a red heat.
Old 6th Jul 2017, 6:34 am   #12
BulgingCap
Pentode

As you point out- the probability that the case contains asbestos makes the removal and replacement of the connector unwise. A new plug seems the best solution, with a sleeved earth wire taken to the case. The only trouble is that a self tapper is not a good idea, and may not conform to regulations (not up to date with UK regs for appliances). Maybe a 'Rivnut' would do the job as these can be installed through a hole from the outside of the case, with a spot cleaned of paint to seat the shakeproof washer against on the outside of the case.
BC
Old 6th Jul 2017, 7:42 am   #13
The Philpott
Dekatron

The (presumably bakelite) part of the connector pictured by wishiknewmore has the Siemens-Halske logo on it. (unsurprisingly!)

As the kiln is rated at 220v you might want spare element/s at hand....?
Old 6th Jul 2017, 8:21 pm   #14
julie_m
Dekatron

If it is thermostatically-controlled, the about 20% extra power from the about 10% extra voltage should not do any harm, as it will cut off before it gets too hot.
Old 6th Jul 2017, 9:00 pm   #15
chriswood1900
Octode

From photo 4 that looks very like the connectors on many kettles and hot plates and also early test equipment from the likes of HP and Boonton, where I have not been able to get the plug so updated to IEC sockets. If I remember correctly they did have the facility to earth via an extra spring clip on the outside of the bakelite.
Chris
Old 11th Jul 2017, 7:45 pm   #16
Wishiknewmore
Hexode

Thanks everybody for suggestions/ advice and opinions, I think my plan will be to keep an eye open for a suitable connector in the junk shops car boots etc , you never know!
I have tentatively powered it up via red, and it got to 300c on stated to melt the insulation on my probe!
Thanks Hampus for the offer of connector, I contact you if I have no luck
Mark, I will keep you in mind if I can't justify my natural hoarding instinct
Thanks again everyone
Philip
Old 11th Jul 2017, 8:40 pm   #17
McMurdo
Dekatron

No doubt a flaw that you could mate an unearthed lead into the kiln which of course should be earthed.

The proper cable plug will have a scraping earth to the appliance inlet. They're still available in 10 and 25A versions and are used in industry for connecting the heater cables in plastic-injection moulding machines.

The correct earthed type is about a fiver on ebay.

(link below for one on amazon via google)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Electrica...mic/B00CQNT5L4
Old 11th Jul 2017, 9:42 pm   #18
duncanlowe
Nonode

The plug reminds me very much of one for a heated serving tray (for food) that we had back in the seventies.
Closed Thread