UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 11th Feb 2019, 6:44 pm   #1
simpfeld
Retired Dormant Member

Default Grundig TK17L reel to reel problem

Hi

A friend had a issue with their Grundig TK17L in that the drive belt snapped. They bought a new belt and asked me to fit it (even though I know they can be quite finicky to get right, but no one else they know who could attempt this locally). I'm more of an electronics person than a big expert on the more mechanical side of tape drives of this era....sadly.

But cutting a long story short, after some fiddling I managed to get the new drive belt fitted and it works but I have obviously upset something in the process. It has two remaining issues:

1/ The capstan and pinch roller don't meet when you press play. If you hold the play button down they do meet and playback works. It looks from my "before" picture that the lever that moves this mechanism seems to be back in the correct groove and in the right place (in it's metal "cup"). Not sure if the screw on the lever adjusts this (or have I missed something). It's only out about 1 mm.

2/ Worse the tape recorder seems to be stuck on play (as far as the motor seems to think, right hand reel slowly turning, doesn't change when I press play ). I can't see what turns on the motor when buttons are pressed (it doesn't seem to be the contacts in front of the play button), so I can attempt to resolve this or see what I missed.

Any ideas on these two?

I have tried the service manuals but have only found a German version for this tape recorder.
Old 14th Feb 2019, 3:55 pm   #2
Kentode
Octode

Default Re: Grundig TK17L reel to reel problem

Did you take any pictures before diving in? Failing that, can you post pictures of the deck as it is now?

My apologies, you did take shots before commencing repair.

BVWS member

Last edited by Kentode; 14th Feb 2019 at 3:59 pm. Reason: Failed to read post correctly.
Old 15th Feb 2019, 8:03 pm   #3
simpfeld
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Grundig TK17L reel to reel problem

Find attached pictures:

1/ The device with no button pressed where it runs the motor as if play is pressed.
2/ Play button depressed so maybe can see something hasn't moved properly.
3/ Close up of capstan and roller not quite meeting when play is depressed.

Any help appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Close Up of capstan and roller.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	68.2 KB
ID:	178457   Click image for larger version

Name:	Play depressed.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	117.2 KB
ID:	178458   Click image for larger version

Name:	Switched Off.jpg