UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 12th May 2023, 8:32 am   #1
Keith956
Heptode

Default Another 'what connector is this?'

After succesfully identifying the Hirose connector, here's this morning's challenge: a 10 pin connector that at first I thought was a PS2, but it's not.

I've trawled through dozens of RS 10 pin connectors and not found it, please put me out of my misery!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5105.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	69.5 KB
ID:	278121  
Old 12th May 2023, 9:02 am   #2
turretslug
Dekatron

Default Re: Another 'what connector is this?'

Mini-DIN? At least, that's the colloquial term, I don't know what the actual series desgnation is, but it might help with searching. They were/are pretty popular but with a whole spectrum of pin numbers and polarising patterns.
Old 12th May 2023, 9:14 am   #3
Keith956
Heptode

Ah yes, the PS2 plug I was thinking of is a sort of mini-DIN? This one has 10 pins though, which seems rare.
Old 12th May 2023, 10:47 am   #4
Keith956
Heptode

THe more I look at it, the more it seems that it's not a mini-DIN plug. The only 10 pin DIN type plugs I've found have the pins arranged as 3-4-3. This one's got the pins as 2-3-3-2.
Old 12th May 2023, 2:10 pm   #5
stevehertz
Dekatron

Obvious comment, doesn't the host equipment's user manual/data state what it is?
Old 12th May 2023, 2:53 pm   #6
Keith956
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevehertz View Post
Obvious comment, doesn't the host equipment's user manual/data state what it is?
Alas not. HP used to be superb in giving detailed schematics, parts lists, explanations of how things worked - no more. I have the user manuals but they have only HP part numbers, and googling them brought no joy.
Old 12th May 2023, 7:20 pm   #7
turretslug
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith956 View Post
THe more I look at it, the more it seems that it's not a mini-DIN plug. The only 10 pin DIN type plugs I've found have the pins arranged as 3-4-3. This one's got the pins as 2-3-3-2.
Come to think of it, I'm inclined to agree- I have a recollection of a range of miniature round multi-way connectors often found on stuff like semi-pro AV kit, "similar but different" to mini-DIN but with a cast (?) rather than folded metal outer shell and a little larger- which would tally with what are presumably BNC connectors next to it. Maybe another Hirose range?
Old 12th May 2023, 7:34 pm   #8
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Am sure I remember similar connectors being used for the audio side on our Polycom videoconferencing systems back in the mid-2000s.
Old 13th May 2023, 7:49 am   #9
Keith956
Heptode

Yes the audio type connectors might be the ones, I think the camcorder I had in the 90’s had something similar. And being designed and built by HP Japan it could well be some obscure Japanese connector.
Old 13th May 2023, 2:38 pm   #10
factory
Octode

Seems to be the used on the HP (or Agilent) 4155/4156 series semiconductor parameter analyzer to connect to a 16441A R-box, maybe someone has one and can check the cable?

David
Old 13th May 2023, 3:26 pm   #11
Keith956
Heptode

Err, I recently came by the 4155! But it didn't have any cables to go with it.
Closed Thread