UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 27th Apr 2023, 12:18 am   #1
Cathovisor
Banned

Default Grundig TK30/35 remote control

I've got a couple of TK30s in my storage unit and the plan is to make one good one out of the two.

I also note there's provision for remote control - apparently no more than remote start/stop but it must explain why there's so many relays and solenoids.

Has anyone ever seen one of the remote controls, or indeed has anybody ever made one? It'd be a "nice to have" for when mine is done.
Old 27th Apr 2023, 12:33 pm   #2
wd40addict
Octode

Default Re: Grundig TK30/35 remote control

It's the 222 footswitch, but pictures seem impossible to find.

Here's what the cardboard box looks like!

https://www.radiomuseum.org/r/grundi...alter_222.html
Old 27th Apr 2023, 12:53 pm   #3
Cathovisor
Banned

Thanks for that - although I am hoping they really aren't Tuchel jacks as they are nigh on unobtanium....
Old 27th Apr 2023, 2:52 pm   #4
TonyDuell
Dekatron

Are those the 6mm diameter (as opposed to 1.4"=6.35mm) ones that Grundig used at one time?
Old 27th Apr 2023, 3:39 pm   #5
wd40addict
Octode

https://elektrotanya.com/grundig_tk8.../download.html

Implies it's a 240 deg DIN.
Old 27th Apr 2023, 4:02 pm   #6
Boulevardier
Octode

Wonder if it's this one?
https://xaudia.com/shop_item/grundig-footswitch-st034/
Old 27th Apr 2023, 4:09 pm   #7
ms660
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by wd40addict View Post
That looks to be different connections to the TK30.

Link below is apparently for the TK30 (schematic not included):

https://www.radiomuseum.org/r/grundi...alter_225.html

Lawrence.

Last edited by ms660; 27th Apr 2023 at 4:23 pm. Reason: extra info
Old 27th Apr 2023, 9:14 pm   #8
DMcMahon
Dekatron

The Fußschalter/Fußbedienung 222 (foot switch/foot control) is listed in a 1958 German Grundig brochure as an accessory for the TK 30, TK 35, TK 830 & TM 830 but no picture.

I have a 1958 English Instructions manual for the TK 35, this lists a Remote Foot Control RCF30 for Remote Start/Stop operation, Not able to find anything more on the RCF30. The manual only has a short paragraph on the Remote Control, saying full details of use and operation are included with each Control.

I have a Grundig foot control with one of my Grundig Stenorette SL's, can't remember if it has any identification marking, but it does not look like the one in Post 6 or the 225 in Post 7 (which maybe is the same as Post 6). I must dig it out to see if it has any identification marking.

David
Old 27th Apr 2023, 10:03 pm   #9
Reelman
Octode

Be aware that some Grundig models over the years required an additional solenoid if you required the remote function. A kit was available at cost from your local dealer who could also fit it for you at a price….

Peter
Old 28th Apr 2023, 10:17 am   #10
DMcMahon
Dekatron

I think the relay plus resistor and capacitor shown in the 222 schematic at Post 2 link must be part of the 222 foot switch.

I see the Tuchel pin out numbering on the 222 schematic and TK30/TK35 schematics is different from DIN connector numbering.

David
Old 28th Apr 2023, 11:48 am   #11
DMcMahon
Dekatron

Some general Grundig foot switch information taken from the respective User manuals :-

TK 830 English and German manuals references the 222 foot switch for remote control of Start, Stop & Backspacing.

TK 820/3D English manual references the RCF.44 Universal Foot switch for remote control of Start, Stop & Backspacing. Also references the RCF. 4 for remote control of Start and Stop (no Backsapcing).

TK 830/3D English manual references the RCF.55 Universal Foot switch for remote control of Start, Stop & Backspacing.

Edited update info:-

Grundig Stenorette SL User manual references the RCF 34 foot switch for remote control of Start, Stop and Backspacing. The image of the RCF 34 in the manual looks like the one I have.

David

Last edited by DMcMahon; 28th Apr 2023 at 12:00 pm. Reason: Update information
Old 28th Apr 2023, 12:41 pm   #12
Reelman
Octode

I am surprised that “backspacing” was offered as a feature on these large, expensive domestic machines. This feature was surely designed to assist dictation. The TK830 was rather large to fit on a typist”s desk. On reflection it is a very useful feature for “dictators” as well, speaking from experience!
Especially odd though since, of course, Grundig made a very popular range of audio dictation equipment.

Peter
Old 28th Apr 2023, 2:21 pm   #13
ricard
Octode

It makes me think though, Tandberg also offered, albeit special versions of, some of their domestic machines with remote control capabilities (start/stop/rewind), from the model 2F in the mid-1950s to model 15F way into the 70s if not 80s. It's hard to see this being of much use in a home environment (especially since, in the Tandberg case, the remote controlled machines do away with the built in mechanical pause function), but perhaps it was a way to offer multi purpose recorders for institutions and the like, whereby the same physical device could be used for the odd dictation session as well as other tasks.
Old 28th Apr 2023, 11:26 pm   #14
DMcMahon
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reelman View Post
I am surprised that “backspacing” was offered as a feature on these large, expensive domestic machines. This feature was surely designed to assist dictation. The TK830 was rather large to fit on a typist”s desk. On reflection it is a very useful feature for “dictators” as well, speaking from experience!
Especially odd though since, of course, Grundig made a very popular range of audio dictation equipment.

Peter
Yes Peter, I thought exactly the same, I must admit though that I have never really fully understood the Backspacing operation on a dictation machine.

David
Old 29th Apr 2023, 12:05 am   #15
ben
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMcMahon View Post
I must admit though that I have never really fully understood the Backspacing operation on a dictation machine.

David
If you've ever had to transcribe a recording, you'll soon appreciate how useful it is to be able to quickly skip back and replay the last sentence! Same goes for language studies. That is why the likes of Tandberg, whose educational equipment department was arguably the strongest part of the company by the late 70s, had such features. Grundig, as has been said, made large amounts of dictation machines - even including their proprietary formats - so adding such features across the range was no big deal I suppose.
Old 29th Apr 2023, 10:01 am   #16
DMcMahon
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by ms660 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by wd40addict View Post
That looks to be different connections to the TK30.

Link below is apparently for the TK30 (schematic not included):

https://www.radiomuseum.org/r/grundi...alter_225.html

Lawrence.
Reference Post 11 Universal foot switch information, I wonder if the 225 could be the non Universal version (no backspacing) version of the 222 ?

David
Old 30th Apr 2023, 6:22 pm   #17
DMcMahon
Dekatron

Quote:

Grundig Stenorette SL User manual references the RCF 34 foot switch for remote control of Start, Stop and Backspacing. The image of the RCF 34 in the manual looks like the one I have.

David
The English manual referenced above also refers to Foot switch 525. The multi (x4) language SL User manual additionally refers to Foot switch 526, both the 525 & 526 do Stop, Start & Backspacing.

David
Old 1st May 2023, 9:52 am   #18
DMcMahon
Dekatron

Looking at the Stenorette SL schematic the Remote connector is a 4 pin 240 degrees Tuchel (assume Tuchel by the pin mumbering) as opposed to the 5 pin Tuchel on the previously referenced Grundig TKs.

Some of the early Grundig TKs used a different remote connector, photo attachements 1 & 2 of Post 40 of this linked Thread shows a TK 819 Remote connector.

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...d.php?t=162904

David
Old 1st May 2023, 12:16 pm   #19
Cathovisor
Banned

Quote:
I think the relay plus resistor and capacitor shown in the 222 schematic at Post 2 link must be part of the 222 foot switch.

I see the Tuchel pin out numbering on the 222 schematic and TK30/TK35 schematics is different from DIN connector numbering.

David
In what sense, because IIRC 240° 5-pin DIN plugs number sequentially clockwise?
Old 1st May 2023, 4:40 pm   #20
DMcMahon
Dekatron

Yes you are correct, I was thinking that the 5 pin 240 degrees DIN pin numbering were non sequential like 5 pin 180 degree DINs.

David
Closed Thread