UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Success Stories

Notices

Success Stories If you have successfully repaired or restored a piece of equipment, why not write up what you did and post details here. Particularly if it was interesting, unusual or challenging. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 13th Apr 2023, 11:27 am   #1
vinrads
Dekatron

Default Emmerson 888 working again.

I have stopped buying radios ,well nearly ,I just had to have this one it's made in England so has L/W as a pre set . I didn't mess about just went in and replaced most of the capacitors, even the blue one Philips type which was a replacement some time ago had gone to one tenth of its stated value. A clean of the v/c and the tuning cap where it shorts the contacts for L/W a re alignment of the I'F and rf circuits gave very good results ,there it is next to the American M/W only version . Mick.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP0010 (9).jpg
Views:	110
Size:	141.0 KB
ID:	276771   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP0009 (9).jpg
Views:	136
Size:	87.1 KB
ID:	276772   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP0011 (8).jpg
Views:	124
Size:	99.4 KB
ID:	276773  
Old 26th Apr 2023, 4:11 pm   #2
Graham G3ZVT
Dekatron

Default Re: Emmerson 888 working again.

The Emerson 888 "Vanguard" with 1500m LW was the subject of my very first forum post, the obligatory "Can you identify this radio".
https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...ad.php?t=54759
I made the cardinal sin of posting an external link to my pencil sketch of set, which naturally has evaporated, but Tom managed to correctly identify it.

It must have been a valuable item to lend to a child to take away to boarding school. I can remember listening to Cliff & the Shadows playing "The Young Ones" in the school yard.

It was a black one like yours.
Old 28th Apr 2023, 2:05 pm   #3
vinrads
Dekatron

Thanks for that Graham ,see my post two Emmerson radios. Mick.
Old 28th Apr 2023, 2:26 pm   #4
usradcoll1
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinrads View Post
I have stopped buying radios ,well nearly ,I just had to have this one it's made in England so has L/W as a pre set . I didn't mess about just went in and replaced most of the capacitors, even the blue one Philips type which was a replacement some time ago had gone to one tenth of its stated value. A clean of the v/c and the tuning cap where it shorts the contacts for L/W a re alignment of the I'F and rf circuits gave very good results ,there it is next to the American M/W only version . Mick.
I still have one in my collection, the first model. They were sold for around $40 USD, a little more than half the price of the Zenith Royal 500.
It was larger, sounded better and performance about equal.
Dave, USradcoll1
Closed Thread