UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Amateur and Military Radio

Notices

Vintage Amateur and Military Radio Amateur/military receivers and transmitters, morse, and any other related vintage comms equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 30th Mar 2023, 5:25 pm   #21
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Default Re: Larkspur R210

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambo1152 View Post
Likewise piled up in a shed behind Anchor Supplies Ltd (Nottingham) no doubt part of the same MOD release. (I wonder what the army was keeping them so long for?)
You've clearly never come across the crazily-complex and time-consuming bureaucratic pathways that need to be navigated before "Government Assets" - however obsolete - can be disposed-of. One of my Government clients paid silly-money to keep an entire decommissioned ICL2900-series mainframe-computer installation from the early-1980s in a heated/airconditioned warehouse, awaiting approval for disposal.

For something like ten years! By which time it was no longer credible as any sort of computer, so went for scrap.

Again, I say that the 'sensible' way to bring a R210 with a failed filmstrip back into practical daily use is to fit a frequency-counter in place of the clockwork. These days rather than doing it using a LED display I would go LCD; not only would it be more compact but the voltages/currents are massively lower so screening against interference would be much easier.
Old 31st Mar 2023, 11:27 am   #22
QQVO6/40
Hexode

Greetings all.

I have the complete station setup of the C11/R210 with the harness. The whole box and dice.
Last time I used it worked quite well. I do remember making a lot of contacts both within Australia and a few international as well.
I have been watching this thread with interest and I am thinking what I should do is remove the film scale while it is still intact and clean and thoroughly lube the whole gear train to lessen the risk of a disaster.
What I do not have is the complete EMEIs for this radio both the C11 and the R210.
Sorry I should have said EMERs for people from the UK.
EMEI is Electrical and Mechanical Engineering Instruction. Just a bit of an Aussie twist.
I do have a few fragments of our EMEIs but not the main bits.

I know there is a source of info in the UK but I have never had any success in gaining access to their system.
It seems as if I have to sign over my first child to get their approval.
I would never do that and the fact my first child is 40yrs old and would put up quite a spirited fight.

My Larkspur setup is quite a way down the list for refurbishment so there is no pressure to get it going.

I am hoping somewhere along the line that some very kind person might point me in the right direction towards a full collection of EMERs for my C11/R210.

Thank you for reading my post.

Robert, VK2BNM.
Old 31st Mar 2023, 11:37 am   #23
trh01uk
Octode

Robert,

I scanned a number of the C11 EMERs for vmars many years ago, and you can find them on their archive website. No signing away of children required!

Try http://www.vmarsmanuals.co.uk/archive/files_index.htm

EMERs D122 Part 1, D122 Part 2, D123, D127, D129 for the C11 are available there. D124 - base repairs - is missing from the set.

Also I have the complete set of EMERs for the R210 receiver. They aren't in the vmars archive, but I will happy to post whichever ones you have missing on here, if you let me know what you want.

Richard
G7RVI
Old 31st Mar 2023, 11:39 am   #24
trh01uk
Octode

Having noted above that I am missing EMER D124 (Field and base repairs) for the C11, if anyone has a copy I would appreciate it.

Richard
Old 31st Mar 2023, 11:42 am   #25
Station X

Quote:
Originally Posted by QQVO6/40 View Post
I know there is a source of info in the UK but I have never had any success in gaining access to their system.
It seems as if I have to sign over my first child to get their approval.
I would never do that and the fact my first child is 40yrs old and would put up quite a spirited fight.
Let's not beat about the bush! You're referring to this site:-

https://www.royalsignals.org.uk/

I've never had any luck with getting documents from there either. In fact they threatened to report me to my ISP as they considered making multiple attempts to download documents amounted to abuse.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 31st Mar 2023, 12:16 pm   #26
QQVO6/40
Hexode

Hello Graham.
I will not compromise this forums rules by commenting further.
Suffice for me to say we are kindred spirits on this subject.
A bit sad on both sides as we don't get the info we need and they miss out on the stacks of Australian EMEIs that I have in storage.
Cheers.
Robert, VK2BNM
Old 31st Mar 2023, 2:46 pm   #27
trh01uk
Octode

I think the best way to handle the royalsignals set up is to politely ignore them. They are not worth getting in a tizzy over. The best way to counter their approach is to support those who take an entirely different approach - that of sharing what we have - which is exemplified by this forum by the way.

Here's a couple of sites that I would recommend supporting - not with cash, but with copies of any scanned documents that you would like to donate. The first is the vmars archive (http://www.vmarsmanuals.co.uk/archive/files_index.htm) which I set up back around 2002 (the website was not done by me, but by a friend of mine, Colin Guy). The philosophy I established with manuals is that softcopies should be a) in really good condition (archival quality in fact), and b) should be free to anyone who would like a copy. The point that most people don't get is that by giving things away, we preserve them (potentially) for future generations. Or at least, the softcopies have the best chance of survival if they are widely spread around the known universe.

The other website which I would mention is BAMA (Boat Anchor Manual Archive) - which is at https://bama.edebris.com/ Its virtues are that a) its free, b) it has a very large stock of manuals (probably not domestic TV/radio though).

Richard
Old 1st Apr 2023, 12:29 pm   #28
Station X

Thanks.

In the past I've uploaded a few manuals to BAMA and undoubtedly downloaded many more from there.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Closed Thread