UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 15th Aug 2021, 9:39 pm   #1
DoddsieFox

Default Sony WM-DC6 no audio troubleshooting

Hi all,

I’m new here, but was hoping I could get some help from people that know what they’re doing. I recently purchased an early serial number WM-D6C, said to be in working order. The motors spin fine, it plays, fast forwards, rewinds, all that good stuff, but we can’t get any audio output. So far, with help from a more tech savvy friend who’s good at repairs, we’ve removed the muting module, we checked the 220uf 4v cap which was fine, and we checked the DC-DC converter which was fine. We don’t see any loose wires either, and he’s been testing different contact points on the board, but I’m wondering if there are any other things we could look at. We did find that a very slight amount of audio comes from the line out, only barely noticeable by cranking speakers up all the way, but there doesn’t appear to be anything from the headphone out. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
DoddsieFox
Old 16th Aug 2021, 8:01 pm   #2
DMcMahon
Dekatron

Default Re: Sony WM-DC6 no audio troubleshooting

Hello and welcome to the Forum.

If not already done then ensure that the heads, capstan and pinch roller are scrupulously clean.

David
Old 16th Aug 2021, 9:28 pm   #3
percival007
Heptode

Default Re: Sony WM-DC6 no audio troubleshooting

Service Manual here............

https://www.hifiengine.com/manual_li...y/wm-d6c.shtml

Make sure all the supplies are OK.
Do you have a 'scope?
Have you another tape deck on which you can record yourself a test tone? It's so much easier following a Sine Wave through a unit than music !!!

James
Closed Thread