UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Amateur and Military Radio

Notices

Vintage Amateur and Military Radio Amateur/military receivers and transmitters, morse, and any other related vintage comms equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 21st Aug 2020, 7:49 pm   #1
MattWalker
Diode

Default Transceiver's performance worse after changing electrolytic capacitors. Is it me?

I have a 40 odd year old vhf ssb transceiver and decided to remove and test a couple of electrolytic capacitors with an esr meter after noticing a dried substance near the offending items.

It was quite a job replacing all of the electrolytic caps due to the component density (some have been replaced with higher voltage as it was all I had).

Sensitivity now seems to be worse than before the replacements?
Old 21st Aug 2020, 8:01 pm   #2
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

Default Re: It it me?

It should not effect performance ,unless you have a wrong value in or wrong polarity.Worth a double check.
Old 21st Aug 2020, 8:17 pm   #3
Bazz4CQJ
Dekatron

Always the "other side of the coin" with mass re-capping is that you leave a bad joint or a bit of solder between tracks.

B
Old 24th Aug 2020, 8:42 pm   #4
crackle
Rest in Peace

Double check the polarity of all the caps you replaced. On modern radial electrolytic caps the negative wire is the one that is normally marked.

Mike
Old 24th Aug 2020, 9:08 pm   #5
The Philpott
Dekatron

..and not completely unknown for the odd electrolytic cap to creep through quality control with the polarity labelling reversed.
Old 24th Aug 2020, 9:29 pm   #6
Radio Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by crackle View Post
On modern radial electrolytic caps the negative wire is the one that is normally marked.
True for aluminium electrolytics, but tantalum ones usually have the positive end marked.

David
Old 24th Aug 2020, 9:46 pm   #7
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Default Re: Transceiver's performance worse after changing electrolytic capacitors. It it me?

Check that you've got all the screening covers properly refitted: at VHF these can be rather important.

[as an example: the Pye Westminster transmitter has a PA screening-cover made from a piece of PCB with some etching in the copper to break it up into controlled areas. Replacing a 'lost/missing' cover with a piece of plain, unetched PCB reduces the output-power by about 5dB)
Old 24th Aug 2020, 10:26 pm   #8
GMB
Dekatron

Default Re: Transceiver's performance worse after changing electrolytic capacitors. Is it me?

Just to be clear on marking, they do seem to like to mark the negative on the can, but I notice that the long wire is still the positive - which was the other way it is marked (but with the snag that you loose this info after assembly)
Old 25th Aug 2020, 12:21 am   #9
Andrew2
Nonode

Default Re: Transceiver's performance worse after changing electrolytic capacitors. Is it me?

It's also worth checking for any internal coax connections which may have come adrift. Those mini coax 'push in' types favoured by Yaesu have a habit of working loose during a service.