UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 23rd Jan 2019, 5:00 pm   #1
Dorian27
Heptode

Default Grundig TK145 deluxe

The Grundig TK145 deluxe works well, played records ok, but the recording meter on the front does not move at all, It's not a magic eye. Can any one think why. I have looked at the fuses on the back, all ok, so I can't think why this is would be. Most grateful for any help.
Old 24th Jan 2019, 12:24 pm   #2
camtechman
Nonode

Default Re: Grundig TK145 deluxe

How did your reel to reel tape recorder play records?
Old 24th Jan 2019, 12:58 pm   #3
Dorian27
Heptode

OK got it wrong plays. Records
Old 24th Jan 2019, 1:41 pm   #4
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

If there is no deflection on the level meter, it will be due to a problem with the signal voltage feeding it or a failed meter, not the mains fuse. What experience do you have of old valved electronics and fault finding?
Old 24th Jan 2019, 1:52 pm   #5
ricard
Octode

The meter could simply be defective. I've seen several meters of this type just give up the ghost because of the winding going open circuit.

If you have a multimeter (preferably an analog one) you could measure the voltage (use the most sensitive voltage range) across it when recording, to see if there is actually a signal presented to the meter.
Old 24th Jan 2019, 2:25 pm   #6
ms660
Dekatron

If the level indicator meter checks out ok make sure there's approx. 25 volts DC on the collector of the meters driver transistor in playback mode.

Lawrence.
Old 24th Jan 2019, 3:39 pm   #7
julie_m
Dekatron

A tape recorder with an actual moving-coil meter is more likely to be using transistors than valves.

Have you actually tried recording with the machine? (Onto thin air is fine if you don't have a sacrificial tape). Some tape recorders have level meters which do nothing during playback.

The first test I would try would be to check the meter coil for continuity. The meter needle might even move to some extent (possibly backwards; if so, just swap over your test probes) when you do this, depending on its own sensitivity and the test current used by your meter. You should be OK to do this with the meter still wired in circuit, but if there is any sort of plug and socket connection then obviously disconnect this so nothing can influence the measurement.

If in doubt, post pictures!
Old 24th Jan 2019, 10:04 pm   #8
Dorian27
Heptode

Thanks to you all for help and yes the recording is excellent on it every time
Closed Thread