UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Amateur and Military Radio

Notices

Vintage Amateur and Military Radio Amateur/military receivers and transmitters, morse, and any other related vintage comms equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 30th Nov 2014, 11:35 pm   #1
Wendymott
Octode

Default Equipment using the Plessey SL xxx series IC's

Hi guys. In what was the latest, and general use of the Plessey SL xxx series of RF devices used, as they were made in the late 60's to 70's, until Plessey was swallowed up by GEC ( I think). I was able to get small numbers of these devices as samples, but my stocks are getting depleted. I just wondered, what surplus equipment used the devices. I thought maybe Clansmen, but I am told , not so. over to you more intelligent peeps.

Regards
Wendy G8BZY
Old 1st Dec 2014, 10:00 am   #2
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Default Re: Equipment using the Plessey SL xxx series IC's

The likes of the Clansman PRC320 does indeed use the SL600 "series" - but they have stock-numbers that are from the military extended-temperature-range series rather than beginning with "SL".

John Birkett in Lincoln was once selling a range of such chips. Might be worth giving him a call?

Also these people - http://www.tynemount.com/ - they've helped me out in the past with stuff but they're aimed very much at the 'professional' market [NATO stock-numbers, full batch-traceability to CAA/MoD levels] with prices to match.
Old 1st Dec 2014, 11:08 am   #3
Wendymott
Octode

Hi G6Tanuki. I have already spoken to John, my first "port of call", but he has sold all his, but as he says there may be a few "kicking about". OK about the PRC320, I may look into buying some scrappers.

Regards
Wendy G8BZY
Old 1st Dec 2014, 5:49 pm   #4
Sparky67
Heptode

Mushroom Components have a few listed...

http://www.mushroom.co.uk/downloadstocklist.asp (This link will open a .csv download window).

I remember working on an AEL HF radio a few years ago (AEL3030?) which used the SL-series.

Martin
G4NCE

Last edited by Sparky67; 1st Dec 2014 at 6:17 pm.
Old 1st Dec 2014, 6:00 pm   #5
Biggles
Rest in Peace

The Marconi RC690 mobile transceiver used an SL6700 IF/AM demod chip. I think the Burndept BE600 UHF handportable used the SL6601 IF/FM demod and SL6310 audio output chip if I remember correctly. Both sets from mid eighties but were for the emergency services so most may have been crushed?
Alan.
Old 1st Dec 2014, 11:05 pm   #6
Wendymott
Octode

Hi Sparky. I looked at their listings and they do not list SL610/1610. SL612/1612. Littlediode have stock but at over £15 per item... OUCH....

Thanks Biggles. I am more interested in the SL1623 AM demod chip. I may have to buy a SL1623 from Littlediode but hopefully the RF chips may still be on their way to me.

Tanuki. was the PRC320 AM or FM ?? I really only want AM devices.

Thanks for your input

Regards
Wendy G8BZY
Old 2nd Dec 2014, 10:12 am   #7
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

The PRC320 is HF - AM/SSB/CW. "SL6xx" style chips and discrete bipolars throughout - including the use of SL600-chips in the PSU inverter/regulator.

One thing of note is that whereas the original PRC320 used the classic "Multi-legged-TO5" metal-cased devices I have at least one PRC320 PSU [module 5] in which the two PCBs have been factory-redesigned to take the dual-in-line equivalents. Given that "Module-5" is acknowledged as being probably the most unreliable part of a 320 (due to it running 130V-rated Tantalum caps at 125V - failure often takes-out the regulator chips) I guess they must have depleted their original stock of metal-can SL6xx regulator parts faster than the rest.
Old 2nd Dec 2014, 2:50 pm   #8
Wendymott
Octode

Hi Tanuki... Thanks for the additional info............. and thanks to all others that contributed info, in the Wanted Column.

Regards
Wendy G8BZY
Closed Thread