UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Amateur and Military Radio

Notices

Vintage Amateur and Military Radio Amateur/military receivers and transmitters, morse, and any other related vintage comms equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 27th Jan 2015, 8:50 pm   #1
clay shooter
Pentode

Default PCR power lead.

I have a Pye PCR comm receiver that has no connection between the psu and receiver. Has any one any good (safe) ideas as what I can use to replace the connectors. The original Rubber covers plugs are badly damaged and unsafe.
I would like to keep it looking as original as possible, But I think that it may be almost impossible.
Thanks
Martin
Old 27th Jan 2015, 9:18 pm   #2
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Default Re: pcr power lead

The insulation on the original rubber snatch-plug leads - after 60 years - is really not to be trustworthy.

I never bother about original appearance if it compromises safety or utility: I'd suggest maybe using modern 7-core trailer cable - strapping 4 cores in parallel for the earth, 3 cores for the filament LT supply and the remaining core for the low-current-demand HT circuit.
Old 28th Jan 2015, 8:20 pm   #3
G3VKM_Roger
Heptode

Default Re: PCR power lead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clay shooter View Post
I have a Pye PCR comm receiver that has no connection between the psu and receiver. Has any one any good (safe) ideas as what I can use to replace the connectors.
Martin,

I think the connecting plugs and sockets used on the PCR were meant to have a degree of waterproofing, so you could use a similar modern waterproof connector like the Buccaneer type:-

http://www.bulgin.co.uk/Products/Buc...Buccaneer.html

The "Standard" model has a tapered body that looks a little old-fashioned? Black heat-shrink tubing over the cables will match the plugs.

Cheers

Roger
Old 29th Jan 2015, 8:16 pm   #4
clay shooter
Pentode

Thanks guys ,I shall have a look at the weekend and wired the old girl up to see if there is any life left in her , she has sat at the back of my garage for the last 15 year ,totally forgoten about !
Old 30th Jan 2015, 12:32 am   #5
Racal Zonal
Triode

Good Evening

When the contact section is removed from the old rubber connectors it may just be possible for a modern connector such as the Clansman type to fit inside in effect using the original rubber shell as a sort of shroud. Or even just run a cable through the rubber shells and permanently connected at each end the shells in this case just making it look right, makes movement a bit more difficult of course.
Old 30th Jan 2015, 9:10 pm   #6
clay shooter
Pentode

unfortunately the whole wiring harness and plugs are now missing ( workshop tidy up ) so an alternative will have to be found ,