UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Amateur and Military Radio

Notices

Vintage Amateur and Military Radio Amateur/military receivers and transmitters, morse, and any other related vintage comms equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 10th Jan 2015, 2:03 pm   #1

Default Info about Control Box WS19 mk2 needed

Hello again, as you know i am restoring a WS19 mk2, (English and Cyrillic) made by Zenith in 1942

I am bit crazy about the control units and junctions box available for the mk2 models.

I have not found a list or a compendium about the different models of this junction and control box on the web

I wonder if anybody could tell me which are the junction boxes and control units for the mk2

thanks

Old 10th Jan 2015, 5:04 pm   #2
n_r_muir
Hexode

Default Re: Info about Control Box WS19 mk2 needed

Hi,

As far as I know all the control boxes will work with either the MK II or Mark III sets.The differences in the control boxes are in the functions required in a particular application or AFV crew position.
Old 10th Jan 2015, 5:24 pm   #3

Thanks very much, could you tell me how many different boxes exist ?

Old 10th Jan 2015, 6:13 pm   #4
Restoration73
Nonode

Versions are on the VMARS site - scroll down to 3817, 3818
http://www.vmarsmanuals.co.uk/archive/files_index.htm
Old 10th Jan 2015, 6:14 pm   #5
n_r_muir
Hexode

Hi,

I have seen about 6 different types including one box that allows the tank commander to select either the 19 set or to select a WS38 for communicating with infantry.
Old 10th Jan 2015, 7:32 pm   #6
llama
Octode

If you can afford it, the excellent book "Wireless for the Warrior" volume 2 has masses of material on all Marks of the WS19 and lists 13 or more control units. Applications for them include one for the operator, one for the commander, one for re-broadcast, others to interfacing and controlling WS38 AFV, WS31 AFV, WS88 AFV. I think one may be for connection to a line system (eg telephone) and so it goes on. WS19 was an incredibly flexible system.
Graham

Last edited by llama; 10th Jan 2015 at 7:33 pm. Reason: Vol 2 added
Old 10th Jan 2015, 8:36 pm   #7

very interesting link!!!

thanks for the different opinions and for recommended the book

Old 10th Jan 2015, 8:37 pm   #8
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_r_muir View Post
I have seen about 6 different types including one box that allows the tank commander to select either the 19 set or to select a WS38 for communicating with infantry.
Yes, there were various arrangements to allow interworking with a 38AFV or an 88AFV. There was, I believe, also a really bizarre arrangement that allowed a WS19 and a SR BE201

http://www.vmarsmanuals.co.uk/archiv...escription.pdf

aircraft VHF-band radio to interwork so the tank-commander could call in air-strikes!
Old 12th Jan 2015, 11:02 am   #9
vosperd
Hexode

As mentioned there are a number of control box options. A good one to look for is the one marked "Control units No 2, ZA3101".
It has 2 12pt connectors and only one drop lead.
An additional but rare box is the No 10 which brings in the intercom amp to boost the modulation.
This box has no drop lead and has to be used with one that has.
Regards
Don m5aky
Old 12th Jan 2015, 12:38 pm   #10
ex seismic
Heptode

Beware there are Control Units and Junction Boxes. Junction boxes are as their name implies, headsets and microphones cannot be connected to them.
Functionally the No. 10 Control box is easy to replicate, just a switch and a few resistors. Provided your IC system is working it saves having to shout into the microphone.
You need to get hold of Telecommunications F252/3 (CA) "Technical Description" for the Canadian WS19 Mk3, this has a lot of junction and control box circuits. It will be on either or both of the VMARS site and the Wireless-Set-No19 site.

Gordon
G7KNS
Old 13th Jan 2015, 4:44 am   #11
Harry40
Retired Dormant Member

Out of interest there are circuits in these radios to stop people shouting into the mike. Most military radios have them. Its a precaution to stop the operator in a stress conditions becoming unintelligent. It is the same principle that officers seem to have plumbs in their mouths. It is for better communication. Most AFV also had an outside telephone connected to the I/C system. If my memory serves me right the "B" set was tank to tank whereas the 19 set frequency band was covered by many other radios.
I have a feeling that the 19 sets normal HF range was about 20 miles but it was reported that during an action in the desert 19 set communications were picked up in the UK.

Last edited by Harry40; 13th Jan 2015 at 4:53 am.
Old 15th Jan 2015, 5:16 am   #12
Reelman
Octode

Some interesting details about the control boxes are here:

http://www.pa3esy.nl/military/gb/arm...es.htm#juboxes

Many thanks to AC/HL for drawing attention to this great site in connection with my query about the A.1134.

Cheers,
Peter
Old 15th Jan 2015, 2:52 pm   #13

Guauuu!!!!

thanks!! very interesting page!!!

Closed Thread