UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Amateur and Military Radio

Notices

Vintage Amateur and Military Radio Amateur/military receivers and transmitters, morse, and any other related vintage comms equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 10th Dec 2014, 1:48 pm   #1
Gi4CZW Cliff
Pentode

Default Digital modes timeline for 'ham radio'

Reading about "Piccolo" and remembering RTTY I'm interested to know which came first and how one developed from the previous one, as PSK31/amtor etc. etc. There appear to be so many modes, no doubt each with advantages. So is there a suitable book or internet link I should read ? Thanks in advance. Cliff.
Old 10th Dec 2014, 2:18 pm   #2
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Default Re: digital modes timeline for 'ham radio

From memory there's something about the history of RTTY in the old "RSGB Teleprinter handbook" and its ARRL equivalent from the 1960s/1970s.

First to come was 'classic' two-tone RTTY [essentially frequency-shift-keying] with two different 'shifts' used - 850Hz or 170Hz. There were different Baud-rates preferred in different countries; indeed, from memory at one time the US amateur licence specified the baud-rate!

This was in the 1950s/60s using lots of immediately-post-WWII surplus gear: Creed or Siemens mechanical teleprinters, often with a paper-tape reader/punch for offline message-preparation and storage. Terminal-units were invariably valve-based [transistors couldn't really handle the +/-80V loop-current used to drive a a mechanical printer's solenoid.
There were a couple of ex-Military terminal-units available surplus which worked surprisingly well given the technology [I still have somewhere the instructions and spring-balance for setting up a Carpenter bipolar relay]

PICCOLO was a UK MFSK standard developed for the Diplomatic Wireless Service [DWS] in the late-1950s and went into service in the very-early-1960s. The guy who did most of it was J.D. Ralphs - there's s a number of IEEE papers on the subject. I have a fond spot for Picolo [and the Racal LA1117 modem].

It still used mechanical printing devioces though.

Have a look here and scroll down to the post by Clive Robinson: https://www.schneier.com/blog/archiv...id_bl_398.html

Googling will reveal details on more-modern protocols like packet-radio. I had a lot of fun in the 1980s with a DRSI PC*PA card and the KA9Q TCP/IP stack.
Old 11th Dec 2014, 12:12 am   #3
Dave757
Heptode

Default Re: Digital modes timeline for 'ham radio'

Hi,

I remember the Eddystone 830/9 was a specially adapted model for Piccolo, - one to avoid I remember (if you didn't
want it for Piccolo!), in the days when 830's were fairly readily available.

Wish I had my old 830/7 now!

Anybody remember the Racal Kaynard and where that fitted into the picture?

Kind regards

Dave
Old 11th Dec 2014, 10:05 am   #4
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Kaynard was a somewhat-smaller successor to Piccolo, if I remember correctly: I dropped out of that part of the game a few decades back.

These days IP (in some form - digital radio, ADSL, mobile phones, BGAN portable satellite terminals) ubiquitously replaces radio as the 'transit' level and for anything at all confidential you just stick a "CATAPAN" at each end.
Old 15th Dec 2014, 10:51 pm   #5
Gi4CZW Cliff
Pentode

Many thanks for the replies, the Clive Robinson blog most interesting. Now I'm thinking that I posed the question incorrectly, as it is the timeline of digital modes from CW, through RTTY and Piccolo towards the PSK xx's that interested me. Cliff
Closed Thread