UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Amateur and Military Radio

Notices

Vintage Amateur and Military Radio Amateur/military receivers and transmitters, morse, and any other related vintage comms equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 21st Nov 2014, 9:04 pm   #21
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.
Default Re: Newbie - Seeking Advice - HRO-MX value?

Don't want to go OT here but for info I've posted elsewhere re my AR88 that has a Slave 31 label on it. I wondered if it had been part of a Diversity set up? Sean Williams said yes and that he was involved in re-creating one of these at BP. I've never come across anything like this relating to HROs though!
Dave W

PS. I see that Lawrence has!
Old 21st Nov 2014, 10:02 pm   #22
Radio Wrangler

Rackfulls, yes. But I was wrong in thinking HROs and AR88s were mixed. I think the HROs were separate.

I know... that's a BC221, but there is at least one of the diversity panels for the AR88. I've never seen an HRO diversity setup.

David
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AR88Bletchley 001.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	84.6 KB
ID:	100486  
Old 21st Nov 2014, 10:36 pm   #23

Diversity was done by having a lot of (all over the country) receiving stations and gathering the messages together later. The operators tried to make sure that any missing bits where recorded (pencil and paper) so matches fitted. You have to admire them.

Old 25th Nov 2014, 1:01 am   #24
m0cemdave
Octode

This was certainly true of Morse code intercept, and especially the RSS operators who listened at home.

However, teleprinter traffic was generally intercepted with diversity receivers. The racks of AR88's and associated equipment in the Tunny Gallery at TNMOC are a recreation of Knockholt receiving station, used for that purpose.

The small room under the water tank at BP originally housed a small Tx and Rx setup, with an aerial from there to the large Sequoia tree on the lawn in front of the mansion. The station was moved elsewhere soon after the war started, to avoid the possibility of the site being located with DF and attracting enemy attention.
Old 25th Nov 2014, 8:30 am   #25
G3VKM_Roger
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave walsh View Post
I've never come across anything like this relating to HROs though!
I saw a number of AR88s being used at a Loran A station in Shetland (RAF Garth's Ness) back in the late 70s. Loran uses Master and Slave stations, so there's a possibility "Slave 31" applies to the use on a Loran site. It did cross my mind, why did they had comms receivers at a beacon site but there was no-one to ask as the site was unmanned and on Care and Maintenance. A possible use was teleprintered engineering/operational messages?

Roger/G3VKM
Old 25th Nov 2014, 6:27 pm   #26
gm0ekm cecil
Tetrode

I know one of the station operators who worked at Garths Ness when it was operational. I'll get back hopefully with the relevant info re the AR88's on that station.
Cecil --- GM0EKM.
Old 2nd Dec 2014, 12:39 am   #27
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.

Just spotted the latest comments here re my "Slave" set chaps. Interesting to think it might have been in the Shetlands much more recently than during WW2 [for which no links have emerged so far!]
Dave W
Closed Thread