UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Amateur and Military Radio

Notices

Vintage Amateur and Military Radio Amateur/military receivers and transmitters, morse, and any other related vintage comms equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 28th Aug 2014, 8:51 pm   #1
GW3OQK Andrew
Pentode

Default The Murphy B40

Does anyone know the year when the B40 was first designed or made? Or, now I have started the thread any more history. I supose the designer had a twisted sense of humour.
Andrew
Old 28th Aug 2014, 10:10 pm   #2
bc312
Pentode

Default Re: B40

Some information here: http://www.portabletubes.co.uk/boats/murphy3.htm

Mike

BVWS member, EUG, G-QRP
Radio Bygones/Radiophile
Old 29th Aug 2014, 8:16 am   #3
trh01uk
Octode

Andrew,

the date on the manual B.R.1617 of May 1956 gives a clue - the mid 1950s, given that manuals tend to arrive a bit late on the scene.

Not sure why you think "the designer had a twisted sense of humour"? If you are referring to its solid construction, size and weight - which appear quite excessive when you have to lug one about - that's because you are not considering conditions on the typical naval vessel.

Naval radios had to be "built like a tank" because they had to survive extremely high g-forces if the ship was struck by a torpedo or other ordnance, and when the guns on the ship were fired. I have seen a figure of 30g quoted. It would be very important for the radio kit to not just survive - but also continue working and ideally stay on tune!

Richard
Old 29th Aug 2014, 9:14 am   #4
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by trh01uk View Post
Naval radios had to be "built like a tank" because they had to survive extremely high g-forces if the ship was struck by a torpedo or other ordnance, and when the guns on the ship were fired. I have seen a figure of 30g quoted. It would be very important for the radio kit to not just survive - but also continue working and ideally stay on tune!
Indeed - I was once told by someone who'd spent time working for procurement in the Admiralty that there was an informal "Rating rating" for shipborne radio/radar gear - in which a Naval rating of typical size was encouraged to climb up the radio rack using the knobs and controls as foot/hand-holds. The "Rating rating" counted the number of controls which broke off under such treatment.
Old 29th Aug 2014, 9:54 am   #5
GW3OQK Andrew
Pentode

Its my twisted sense of humour, for I was thinking of the unusual helical, vertical, dial. No offence intended Mr Murphy. And thanks Mike, I see 1949 mentioned so it could go in a 1940's display. I appreciate and admire the very solid nature of such sets, they dont make em like that any more, as far as I know. At least it has handles unlike the AR88 I recently had to move.
Andrew
Old 29th Aug 2014, 10:13 am   #6
turretslug
Dekatron

It's certainly different, evidently the designer attempting to provide a usefully long tuning scale with good resolution. I suppose it could be seen as a stepping stone between the relatively simple rotating sector disc of the likes of the AR88 and the full-on film-scale types that proliferated in the fifties.
Old 29th Aug 2014, 11:18 pm   #7
Dave757
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by GW3OQK Andrew View Post
I see 1949 mentioned so it could go in a 1940's display
Hi,

I have a photocopy of BR 1617 dated 1956 too, but bear in mind that the A B C and D models are all included.

It is definitely earlier than 1949, as can be demonstrated by the introduction to the May 1956 edition of BR1617, in which 'Their Lordships' (of the Admiralty) instruct that - BR1617 and Addendum "Handbook for the Receiver B40 1946" is hereby superseded and copies should be disposed of etc.

From conversations with people who have handled a lot of these sets I understand that the receiver was first issued in the latter years of WW11.

Kind regards

Dave G0ELJ
Old 29th Aug 2014, 11:58 pm   #8
murphymad
Heptode

According to the write up about the B40/B41 in the Murphy News August 1946.
Murphy Radio were chosen by the Admiralty in 1944 to develop a "really comprehensive communications set. To be made in considerable quantities over a period of years".
Murphy Radio designers worked with the Admiralty Signal Establishment (A.S.E) at Haslemere.
The Murphy designers are named as K.O Ainslie, P.C Cullen, Donald Wood and G. Bernard Baker.

A contract was awarded and production of the B40 and B41 started August 1946.

Mike...
Old 30th Aug 2014, 9:22 am   #9
lesmw0sec
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by turretslug View Post
It's certainly different, evidently the designer attempting to provide a usefully long tuning scale with good resolution.
I think another advantage was the reduction in backlash with the chain drive. It looked very like the stuff you could get for 'Meccano' kits at the time!

Les.
Old 30th Aug 2014, 9:35 am   #10
vosperd
Hexode

Meccano is clearly printed on one of the chainwheels on my RA17.
Not had the B40d apart lately.
Don m5aky
Old 30th Aug 2014, 11:02 am   #11
Dave757
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by murphymad View Post
A contract was awarded and production of the B40 and B41 started August 1946.
Hi Mike,

That ties it up nicely, many thanks

Kind regards

Dave
Old 30th Aug 2014, 11:38 am   #12
GW3OQK Andrew
Pentode

Thanks for the valuable info guys. So, the B40 begun in WW2 and I even have the designers names. I wonder if they went on to design the 618 tx rx.
Andrew
Old 30th Aug 2014, 1:40 pm   #13
Brased
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by turretslug View Post
It's certainly different, evidently the designer attempting to provide a usefully long tuning scale with good resolution.
Then there was the R1475, produced by Marconi for the RAF as a ground based HF receiver during the same period. This was of far lighter construction as it was not required to withstand the rigours of shipborne use. However it had a similar tuning arrangement to provide a long tuning scale, although in this case arranged horizontally along the top of the receiver front panel.

Edward
Old 20th Sep 2014, 10:03 pm   #14
QWENIX
Pentode

Default Re: The Murphy B40

Hello to you all, I have a few B40's running. Some parts are stamped with Admiralty Pattern numbers and year of production. Some do have 1945 1946 and later. so shat indicates that production started at that time.. parts (eg output transformer or the 500Khz cal crystalset)
Old 20th Sep 2014, 10:35 pm   #15
QWENIX
Pentode

If anyone is interested in Frank Murphys company google Joan Long, publisher writer biography,titled "A first class job" .

Because I am a Murphy Maniac( from Holland ) I'm always interested in fotocopies scans originals about design info contracts related to the subject b40 b41 62B FAZ outfit SSB. and still looking for an original FAZ outfit ssb converter manual.

best regards Qwenix SWL PA11084 see my collection @ http://www.gloeidraad.nl/radioforum/index.php?id=146815
Old 18th Nov 2014, 11:14 pm   #16
PeterG8BZR
Retired Dormant Member

Hi QWENIX,

I'm very jealous, I have only a B40A, B40D and a B41!

Peter
Closed Thread