UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Amateur and Military Radio

Notices

Vintage Amateur and Military Radio Amateur/military receivers and transmitters, morse, and any other related vintage comms equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 9th Oct 2012, 3:37 pm   #1
HMV 1120
Hexode

Default Unusual NDB reception?

I've just recently begun playing with a "Seafix" marine RDF set in the band 200 khz - 400 Khz. This is transistorised handheld with a ferrite antenna for taking bearings to former marine (non directional) navigation beacons (as well as for listening to longwave shipping forecasts).

Whilst marine NDB's have left the band, aircraft still use it and the local beacons CUL (Culdrose) and NQY (Newquay) come through very well. I also managed to receive (at around 390 khz) the callsign "CP" at around 23:00 onwards.

I can't find a "CP" in the UK beacon lists, but there is a "CP" - Constable Pynt - on 386 khz in Greenland. It is listed as a low power (~25 W) station. Is this a likely catch for a ferrite handheld, or is there a better candidate closer to home?

Attatched below is a screenshot (apologies for the quality) showing the repetitive CP and carrier hetrodyne (AM beacon ID being received with BFO).

The Seafix has also proved capable of receiving Differential GPS transmissions around 300 khx, with the furthest catch being Sumbergh Head, Shetlands.

Robs
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CP NDB.JPG
Views:	143
Size:	12.6 KB
ID:	71292   Click image for larger version

Name:	DGPS LW beacon reception.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	203.6 KB
ID:	71293  
Old 9th Oct 2012, 4:38 pm   #2
milairuk
Pentode

Default Re: Unusual NDB reception?

Might be Portugal which is more likely - see http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jC5BsTJfkfY
John
Old 18th Oct 2012, 5:00 pm   #3
KW2000A
Triode

Slightly more prosaically: Caparica NDB ( 389 kHz) at N38 38.5 W009 13.3 -south of Lisbon across the Tagus estuary. It's a high power NDB ( greater than 2kW) with a promulgated range of 250 nautical miles. Serves as the holding fix for the instrument approach procedure on to Runway 03 at Lisbon International Airport.

I reckon around 700 nautical miles from Padstow with a relative bearing around 193°....after dusk - depending on propagation - you should get a good ( well, as good as any NDB indication ever was) indicated bearing allowing for all the errors ...but that's a lecture long ago and far away
Old 18th Oct 2012, 5:44 pm   #4
KW2000A
Triode

Correction to my last : 850 nautical miles Padstow - Caparica
Old 19th Oct 2012, 1:09 am   #5
Dave757
Heptode

Hi

I've just been having a listen for CP and it's not
too strong with me in Birmingham tonight. Definitely the