UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 23rd May 2023, 7:22 am   #1
Mgmaudio
Tetrode

Default Roberts R25 radio problem.

I have one of these radios in excellent condition, except for the fact the ON/OFF switch is faulty.

It has to be held down to make the radio work.

Two questions:

Is the switch, or an equivalent, available?
If so, how do you remove the radio chassis from the cabinet ?

I cannot see a way to begin this process.

Thank you in anticipation.

Last edited by Mgmaudio; 23rd May 2023 at 7:29 am. Reason: Spelling
Old 23rd May 2023, 9:04 am   #2
agardiner
Octode

Default Re: Roberts R25 radio problem.

I don't have the service sheet so cannot be sure, but looking at a photo of one, it looks like one of the series where the chassis is held in by screws under the handle? You should be able to see that by looking in the set from the underside.

If so, the handle will unclip from its fixings by pushing it downwards, and once removed the screws will be revealed.
Old 23rd May 2023, 9:13 am   #3
Paul_RK
Dekatron

I don't think the handle need be taken off, the screws are accessible when it's folded down. To remove the chassis you'll also have to remove the screw that retains the telescopic aerial, and disconnect the leads to loudspeaker and power supply. If it hasn't been out for years it may be a little stuck to the cabinet, but there's nothing else holding it in place.

Paul
Old 23rd May 2023, 9:41 am   #4
simpsons
Octode

First, getting the chassis out of the cabinet.

The Service Manual is available on the internet and is a must, as there are several screws to remove before removing the chassis by easing it up from the top of the set. The power supply removal is also explained.

Next, the on/off switch. This model has a loudness tap on the volume control which the replacement will need to have. This is a 100k pot and used on many Roberts sets. Should it need replacing, a "parts wanted" post on this site will help you find one.

Good luck

Chris
Old 23rd May 2023, 9:50 am   #5
David G4EBT
Dekatron

The service data for the R25 isn't on the Forum DVDROM, but if the R25 is similar to the R24, I guess it has a bank of four individual push-button switches: LW, MW, VHF, & On/Off. If so, the waveband switches will be interlocking, so that if for example, the switch for LW is pressed in, and you then press VHF, the VHF switch will latch and the LW one will unlatch.

The On/Off switch will, I think, be independent of the waveband switches, and will latch when pressed on and unlatch when pressed off. It may be that the little spring which causes it to latch has failed, but on some styles the spring is external and may have come out of its notch and could maybe refitted, though the springs are often internal.

Roberts Radio do supply a limited range of replacement parts for some models, but I've just checked and you're out of luck with the R25 I'm afraid:

https://www.robertsradiotechnical.co...tsRequest.aspx

Several companies supply similar PCB-mounted switches, but the pins would need to exactly match the spacing of yours and the dimensions of the square shaft would need to be the same. Here are some examples of what the style of switch that you need looks like:

https://www.switchelectronics.co.uk/...on-switch-dpdt

https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/push-...itches/7582091

https://www.rapidonline.com/r-tech-7...waAgcIEALw_wcB

It terms of gaining access to remove the chassis, as often as not, if you remove the bottom panel, there will be a screw at each end of the chassis which need to be removed, and a screw which holds the telescopic antenna. I've attached an annotated picture of a Roberts R505 radio, which is an altogether different model, though I guess a similar cabinet style, which shows how to remove the chassis. When you've taken out the screws and disconnected the speaker, you need to push the chassis upwards, which might need some pressure, but don't be tempted to lever it out from the top or you'll risk damaging the front panel and trim.

I hope that might help a bit, but other forum members with specific experience of the R25 might be able to help further.

Good luck with it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bottom view of chassis in cabinet.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	90.4 KB
ID:	278622  

Last edited by David G4EBT; 23rd May 2023 at 10:00 am.
Old 23rd May 2023, 9:51 am   #6
Station X

Quote:
Originally Posted by simpsons View Post
The Service Manual is available on the internet...

Chris
Any chance of a link to the service manual? It's not available from VRSD.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 23rd May 2023, 9:51 am   #7
Paul_RK
Dekatron

Apologies, my post above may be misleading - I was looking at the R24 manual, and haven't had access to one for the R25. Probably not very different, as a photo of the R25 shows the same arrangement with chassis-fixing screws on the cabinet sides and revealed when the handle is swung down.

Paul

Last edited by Paul_RK; 23rd May 2023 at 9:57 am.
Old 23rd May 2023, 9:53 am   #8
Andy 1964
Pentode

Very similar to my R23. The on/off switch is on the wave change bank, independent of the volume control. Most likely just dirty, along with the wave band switches, give it a good dose of contact cleaner, and then operate all the switches. Fluff can get into the headphone socket, clean that. The PSU had some electrolytic caps that were half of their stated value, these were replaced before an AC power up, so just use the battery to check for signs of life.
Old 23rd May 2023, 9:59 am   #9
David G4EBT
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Station X View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by simpsons View Post
The Service Manual is available on the internet...

Chris
Any chance of a link to the service manual? It's not available from VRSD.
https://archive.org/details/manual_R25_SM_ROBERTS

PDF:

https://ia902307.us.archive.org/8/it...SM_ROBERTS.pdf
Old 23rd May 2023, 10:25 am   #10
Andy 1964
Pentode

Just had a look at my R23, chassis is on my bench. The latching mechanism is clearly visible, and if anything is broken it will be obvious. Could be grunge in the mechanism preventing the latch engaging. Observe the sideways movement bar, which operates the latches.
Old 23rd May 2023, 6:54 pm   #11
Mgmaudio
Tetrode

I managed to get the R25 apart and it’s definitely the on/off switch.
There is another problem, in that the PP9 connector is broken on one terminal.
Easy enough to replace.

I don’t think I will attempt to replace the switch.
I have more than enough radios...
If someone wants it, they can have it for the price of the new PP9, plus postage.
It is in good condition.
Closed Thread